Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mystery altar found at Roman fort

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

Posted Image
Image credit: Matthias Kabel
A huge ornately carved stone altar has been unearthed during excavations at a Roman fort in England. The relic weighs in at some 1.5 tons, is four foot high and appears to be dedicated to an eastern cult deity.

"A massive altar dedicated to an eastern cult deity has emerged during excavations of a Roman fort in northern England. Weighing 1.5 tons, the four-foot high ornately carved stone relic, was unearthed at the Roman fort of Vindolanda, which was built by order of the Emperor Hadrian between 122-30 A.D. "

Posted Image View: Full Article | Posted Image Source: Discovery Channel

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:48 AM

I'm confused... what's mysterious about it? It seems to be recognized as a alter dedicated to a Jupiter diety.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#3    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,629 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:37 PM

It is a rare find.  I would love to have a copy of it for my yard.  That would be so cool.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#4    www375

www375

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

• Everyone knows this is nowhere

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:57 PM

View PostDarkwind, on Jul 28 2009, 05:37 AM, said:

It is a rare find.  I would love to have a copy of it for my yard.  That would be so cool.

That is pretty cool looking................ :tu:

I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

#5    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:21 PM

Roman troops erected altars to Cybele and other Eastern Mediterranean deities all over Southern Britain. Many of them still exist. So where does the "mystery" come in?

#6    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:25 PM

View PostDarkwind, on Jul 28 2009, 01:37 PM, said:

I would love to have a copy of it for my yard.  That would be so cool.

Yes? Just wait until the copies of the old Roman priests show up at 3 a. m. and drag you screaming off to it. :D

#7    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

Looks like an altar Mithra, to me.

#8    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

View Posthammerclaw, on 14 July 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

Looks like an altar Mithra, to me.
Seems to have been put to rest fairly definitely three years ago when the article and thread were put up.:

Romans called this god Juppiter Dolichenus, but it was originally an ancient weather god, known to the Semitic peoples of the Middle East as Hadad and to the Hittites as Teshab.
It was in its war-like representation that the Anatolian god Juppiter of Doliche became a favorite deity among Roman soldiers.
Indeed, an inscription indicates that the altar was dedicated to the Dolichenus god by "Sulpicius Pudens, prefect of the Fourth Cohort of Gauls."

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users