Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

10 of the world's biggest unsolved mysteries


  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16    alexoscarew

alexoscarew

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined:28 Dec 2012

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

They missed the biggest real mystery of all, the Nazca lines in Peru. While creating a code or a bunch of gibberish is not all that hard, the Nazca lines are a true mystery. Even if you buy into the idea that the Inca could see some of the drawings from foothills or fly in hot air balloons or alien spacecraft, why bother?


#17    DKO

DKO

    Ω is Futile.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

  • When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Awesome page, cheers.

That Taman Shud case is also very interesting. From what I've read he was most likely a spy. No records of him anywhere in Australia, even all flight/cruise records show that every person that visited Australia had also left or permanently moved here.

The forensic team say that he was most likely poisoned, either by himself or someone else and that the poison would have been hard to come by.

There was also a top secret missile launch and intelligence gathering site near Adelaide that apparently had a security breach.

From wiki:

Quote

The poem's subject led police to theorise that the man had committed suicide by poison, although there was no other evidence to back the theory.[44] The book was missing the words "Tamam Shud" on the last page, which had a blank reverse, and microscopic tests indicated that the piece of paper was from the page torn from the book.[45] "Tamam Shud" (meaning "the end") comprises the last line of text in the book.

Posted Image


Posted ImageThe handwriting showing pencil markings in the back of a book of poetry by Omar Khayyam. The markings are presumed to be some sort of code.



In the back of the book were faint pencil markings of five lines of capital letters with the second line struck out. The strike out is now considered significant with its similarity to the fourth line possibly indicating a mistake and thus, possible proof the letters are code:   
  WRGOABABD
  MLIAOI   
  WTBIMPANETP   
  MLIABOAIAQC
  ITTMTSAMSTGAB[37]

http://en.wikipedia....Taman_Shud_Case

Edited by DKO, 28 December 2012 - 11:37 AM.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson


Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.


#18    Dracos Nightwolf

Dracos Nightwolf

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Joined:23 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

THIS is the "top ten greatest mysteries"? WTF


#19    Dracos Nightwolf

Dracos Nightwolf

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Joined:23 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

Seat up... def...

from the back


#20    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

    Coffee expert extraordinair

  • Member
  • 3,845 posts
  • Joined:16 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

OK so what would you consider the 10 greatest then? I know about most of the ones used in the article, and some are genuinely inexplicable, others are cyphers of a great difficulty.

Edited by TheSearcher, 08 March 2013 - 09:29 AM.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#21    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • Joined:15 May 2007
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

So... where did women all live, before there were bathrooms?


#22    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined:16 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:frankston texas

  • there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

after reading the top 10 mysteries list  i think they forgot to add a few like..
11..why is the coldest part on a womans body is her butt in the middle of the night?
12.  why must the american people always pay for the mistake of the president in taxes
13..(ol lady asking) . why cant men ever pee right in the bowl  instead of standing 6 feet away and p*** on the floor?
14..
15.
16'
17
18
19
20
and so on?


#23    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 10,244 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

View Postjustcalmebubba, on 10 March 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

after reading the top 10 mysteries list  i think they forgot to add a few like..
11..why is the coldest part on a womans body is her butt in the middle of the night?
12.  why must the american people always pay for the mistake of the president in taxes
13..(ol lady asking) . why cant men ever pee right in the bowl  instead of standing 6 feet away and p*** on the floor?
14..
15.
16'
17
18
19
20
and so on?


I dont about about a womans butt being cold.... but Ive never met a woman yet who doesn't have icy cold feet. Just snuggling up nice and warm and you happen to touch your leg or foot, against her feet! Cold! Icy cold. Like touching a corpse :w00t:

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#24    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Joined:05 Jul 2011

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hmm... top 10 mysteries..

1 - Bacon .. from a supposedly unclean animal.. why does it taste so good.
2 - Coffee.. Essential of life.. or just a treat..
3 - Why were there no nerdy gamer girls when I was a teenager..
4 - When you mix flour and water together you get glue.. add egg.. you get cake.. where does the glue go..
5 - Where is the flying cars we were supposed to have by now.
6 - Where did I leave my house keys back in 1987
7 - Is the universe really just a ball inside another larger universe like in men in black no 1
8 - is dark faster then light..
9 - what is the answer to life the universe and everything
and 10 - Is Zoser just taking the micky in regards to AA?


#25    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

    Coffee expert extraordinair

  • Member
  • 3,845 posts
  • Joined:16 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostDingoLingo, on 15 March 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Hmm... top 10 mysteries..

1 - Bacon .. from a supposedly unclean animal.. why does it taste so good.
2 - Coffee.. Essential of life.. or just a treat..
3 - Why were there no nerdy gamer girls when I was a teenager..
4 - When you mix flour and water together you get glue.. add egg.. you get cake.. where does the glue go..
5 - Where is the flying cars we were supposed to have by now.
6 - Where did I leave my house keys back in 1987
7 - Is the universe really just a ball inside another larger universe like in men in black no 1
8 - is dark faster then light..
9 - what is the answer to life the universe and everything
and 10 - Is Zoser just taking the micky in regards to AA?

:clap: :P  Love it.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#26    Lex540

Lex540

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined:07 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Male

  • I am unique and distinct

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

maybe we don't need to resolve the mysteries because the magic is in the mystrie


#27    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:18 AM

Why are there so many reality shows on TV? Can anyone solve *that* big mystery? The fact, that Honey Boo Boo and the Kardashians have cable series, is more mysterious than the Sphinx, itself. Maybe the programs are cheap to make, and the makers think that Americans are stupid. I don't know anybody who watches these shows, though. They all receive bad comments and ratings on all of the forums that discuss them. It's either the money, or there's a plot to dumb down America with "Jersey Shore", "Buck Wild", "Baby Daddy", etc.. A third option is that writers are too lazy to come up with original ideas, so they grab onto the fad of the moment, but this particular fad has lasted about fifteen years too long.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#28    F3SS

F3SS

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,584 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh, Pa

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:37 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 16 March 2013 - 03:18 AM, said:

Why are there so many reality shows on TV? Can anyone solve *that* big mystery? The fact, that Honey Boo Boo and the Kardashians have cable series, is more mysterious than the Sphinx, itself. Maybe the programs are cheap to make, and the makers think that Americans are stupid. I don't know anybody who watches these shows, though. They all receive bad comments and ratings on all of the forums that discuss them. It's either the money, or there's a plot to dumb down America with "Jersey Shore", "Buck Wild", "Baby Daddy", etc.. A third option is that writers are too lazy to come up with original ideas, so they grab onto the fad of the moment, but this particular fad has lasted about fifteen years too long.
That's probably because there is an endless variety of 'reality' to record and people love other people's realities.
COPS, the Real World, Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, the lives of wealthy unknown people, the lives of wealthy known people, save my bar, sell my house, eat that bug, save my life, chop those trees, survive this, escape that, shoot here, work there, exploit trailer park kid, pawn this, repo that, mine for gold, drill for oil, hillbilly hand fishing, drive on ice, drive on land, fix my lawn, gimme a kitchen, swap my wife, humiliate me, sell your soul for money and many more now and to come.

Posted Image

#29    Time Traveler

Time Traveler

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined:25 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA, Northwest

  • The Truth Is Out There (it is only a matter of finding out what it is!)

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

LOL  You guys are a riot!  I knew I'd been away from the forum too long!  :D


#30    zoser

zoser

    Sapphire

  • Member
  • 10,009 posts
  • Joined:19 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London UK

  • It is later than you think.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Here's another incredible unsolved mystery:

Precision polygonal walls in Peru.  Sacsayhuaman.

How did they do it?

Posted Image

One of the upper stones is shaped like a parallelogram.  

Was this really bashed into shape like this or was the stone moulded somehow?

Edited by zoser, 16 March 2013 - 01:08 PM.

Posted Image





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users