Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 2 votes

Ex-soldier told to repaint his St George's

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#91    Glenville86

Glenville86

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

I want the last ten minutes of my life back.

Original topic - Landlord can make him remove it even if it is not bothering anyone.  If he owed the property (in my country), he could display the flag.

I am American.  Have lived around the world including 2-years in the Middle East.  I wish to offer an apology to those who may come away with a negative view of us from the postings of some. :whistle:

Edited by Glenville86, 22 May 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#92    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,255 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

So this has, as i expected, turned from talking about the Union Flag and whether or not it is a Symbol of Oppression to the Evils of islam yet again. I'm sure there must be some version of Godwin's Law that says that this will always happen. :sleepy:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#93    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

Look at these nasty, vicious racists.
Posted Image

Hang on. How do I know it's not been photoshopped?

#94    dekker87

dekker87

Psychic Spy

• 1,369 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 22 May 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

Look at these nasty, vicious racists.
Posted Image

Hang on. How do I know it's not been photoshopped?

look at this racist filth wrapping himself up in the flag:

Posted Image

members of the 'hate group' the EDL with a st georges cross in the background:

Posted Image

#95    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• 1,433 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

That last photo has definitely been altered.

No way is that beard real!

#96    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 14,665 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

When Sky Scanner said: "a nations flag should never be considered a hate symbol based on a few fringe elements within a country" it's all that needs to be said. No links/proof/notes from one's Mom are needed to support this very simple concept.

Now, if one chooses to immigrate to a foreign country and they 'don't like' for some reason there's always the option to return home. Basically, a person can't move to another country and expect everyone there to change to accomodate them. Were I to move to another country I'm pretty sure I'd be seeing that nation's flag all over the place...if it offended me I'd either have to leave or get over it.

Edited by Lilly, 22 May 2013 - 12:01 PM.
left out a word

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#97    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,179 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

I know it is difficult to stay strictly on topic with this, because the subject matter itself brings in a whole raft of other issues....but the topic itself is basically about an individuals right to display their own countries flag on their front door. Lets try and not turn this into an EDL v's Islam thread please.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#98    dekker87

dekker87

Psychic Spy

• 1,369 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostSky Scanner, on 22 May 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

I know it is difficult to stay strictly on topic with this, because the subject matter itself brings in a whole raft of other issues....but the topic itself is basically about an individuals right to display their own countries flag on their front door. Lets try and not turn this into an EDL v's Islam thread please.

indeed but one line of argument was that the flag had been appropriated by a hate group - the EDL...as the poster in question was american and relying on the bs from mainstream biased news services such as the BBC it was worthwhile showing that the EDL is not, as an organisation, a 'hate' group....tho i do accept is attracts some real morons to their rallies...even then tho some of those have proven to be plants by extremist elements such as Unite Against Fascism.....

#99    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 6,953 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

View Postdekker87, on 22 May 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

indeed but one line of argument was that the flag had been appropriated by a hate group - the EDL...as the poster in question was american and relying on the bs from mainstream biased news services such as the BBC it was worthwhile showing that the EDL is not, as an organisation, a 'hate' group....tho i do accept is attracts some real morons to their rallies...even then tho some of those have proven to be plants by extremist elements such as Unite Against Fascism.....

Couldn't have put it better myself. :tu:

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#100    shrooma

shrooma

Ugly bag of mostly water.

• 2,707 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

there's a world of difference between nationalism and fascism. being proud of your country isn't a crime.
patriotism isn't a sin.
how on earth can it be deemed offensive to fly your country's flag IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY??
how can ANY foreign national be upset at seeing the flag of the nation that opened their door to them and provided them with a home?
can you imagine what would happen if we went to poland and told them to remove their flags because they 'offended' us??
the area I live in has the 2nd highest rate of asian people (per head of population) in the country, only slightly behind bradford, and the place is literally festooned with flags! no-one bats an eyelid.
the george cross is flown from churches & town halls all over england, and they're hardly bastions of racial hatred are they?
I notice the 'person' making the complaint was english, not asian, and obviously doesn't understand the concept of reverse-racism.
time she started thinking about a career change methinks.....

Edited by shrooma, 22 May 2013 - 01:43 PM.

''One is all for religion until one visits a really religious country. Then, one is all for drains, machinery, and a minimum wage.''
-Aldous Huxley-

#101    dekker87

dekker87

Psychic Spy

• 1,369 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

View Postshrooma, on 22 May 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

there's a world of difference between nationalism and fascism. being proud of your country isn't a crime.
patriotism isn't a sin.
how on earth can it be deemed offensive to fly your country's flag IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY??
how can ANY foreign national be upset at seeing the flag of the nation that opened their door to them and provided them with a home?
can you imagine what would happen if we went to poland and told them to remove their flags because they 'offended' us??
the area I live in has the 2nd highest rate of asian people (per head of population) in the country, only slightly behind bradford, and the place is literally festooned with flags! no-one bats an eyelid.
the george cross is flown from churches & town halls all over england, and they're hardly bastions of racial hatred are they?
I notice the 'person' making the complaint was english, not asian, and obviously doesn't understand the concept of reverse-racism.
time she started thinking about a career change methinks.....

what these strange people who seem to be offended about everything don't want to make explicitly clear is that within their paradigm nationalism is indeed as bad as fascism...and being proud of your country is a crime.

#102    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,509 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 20 May 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

The crescent is a universal symbol of a major world religion.

The cross of St George is a universal symbol of a major world country. What's your point?

Those wishing to suppress Muslims and not allow them to display the crescent on Islamic mosques maybe share similar sentiments to the EDL.

That is the exact type of hate, suppression, and/or intolerance the EDL is known for.

I agree that preventing Muslims having crescents on mosques is wrong. Just as preventing someone flying their flag is wrong.

Obviously, as he doesn't own the property, the landlord is entirely entitled to refuse permission and tell him to remove it.

I was also not aware that St. George's Cross was specifically used as a symbol for the British Army.

It isn't. But his being in the army is nothing to do with the story. He stated very clearly that it's because he is proud to be English.

So let's change this to a hypothetical discussion:

I own my own house. I've been in Scouting since I was 6 and decide that, as I am proud to be a Scout, I will paint the cross of St George on my door as he is our patron saint.

Should I have to remove it and why/why not? Open to everyone.

Blame the EDL. If you want anything to change then protest against the EDL.

Or, you know, protest those who are oppressing people's right to display their loyalties. Whether these oppressors are councils or fringe members of the EDL should make no difference.

If their is reluctance to that then perhaps supporting them is your cup of tea. Expect frowns.

Hmm. Protest against them or you agree with them...

You might identify with this opening line:

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 21 May 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

also he looks like a thug or hooligan

Because looks are such a good way of identifying someone's thoughts. Did it occur to you that maybe he keeps his hair cut short because of his military background? Or that he looks grim because someone's telling him not to display his flag? Unless fleeces are the new uniform for thugs, I don't know what else could lead you to your conclusion.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#103    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Knight of Sarcasm

• 8,751 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 20 May 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

Was not aware of any specific Islamic hate group operating in the UK that used the crescent as its symbol.

The crescent is a universal symbol of a major world religion.

Those wishing to suppress Muslims and not allow them to display the crescent on Islamic mosques maybe share similar sentiments to the EDL.

That is the exact type of hate, suppression, and/or intolerance the EDL is known for.

I was also not aware that St. George's Cross was specifically used as a symbol for the British Army.

Blame the EDL. If you want anything to change then protest against the EDL.

If their is reluctance to that then perhaps supporting them is your cup of tea. Expect frowns.
It's a national flag!
It's like someone saying "ban the stars and stripes because it offends me because of their invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users