Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 3 votes

Guns are part of the American identity

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#16    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 21 December 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

No one is accusing anyone. Nutjob.

No but you are kindly hinting that. Im glad that we clear that. I dont understand people who claim that Church is responsible for situation in USA.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#17    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,235 posts

• We don't need to conquer the world, we need to conquer our individual selves first. Then the world will be at peace.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostEllJay, on 21 December 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

I think it is that violence are a part of the American identity.
With the worlds highest prison population something most be wrong.

Has to do with the "war on drugs", for the most part. The majority of those in prison are nonviolent offenders, who got busted for having drugs in their possession. We do of course have a small minority in prison for violent crimes, but most of that has to do with robbery.

Anyway, that may all change if most of the states eventually legalize cannabis. Whether the U.S. government get's onboard or not, will be anybody's guess. But regardless, it will probably reduce the prison population.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#18    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I dont want to dispute your statistics but the number of sexual offenders in the prison is actually quite alarming. The majority of them will be back on the streets before the nonviolent offenders,

#19    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,235 posts

• We don't need to conquer the world, we need to conquer our individual selves first. Then the world will be at peace.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 21 December 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

I dont want to dispute your statistics but the number of sexual offenders in the prison is actually quite alarming. The majority of them will be back on the streets before the nonviolent offenders,

Yeah, the sexual offenders do come into the violent crime equation, along with murderers and whatever else. But like you pointed out, they get put back on the streets; they are sure in the hell not in there very long. Which IMO is really assbackwards compared to a drug offence that results in some cases a 25 year sentence.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#20    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,555 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postthe L, on 21 December 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

No but you are kindly hinting that. Im glad that we clear that. I dont understand people who claim that Church is responsible for situation in USA.
I don't understand why you're making up BS. I haven't accused the church of anything.

#21    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Along that topic is the blanket removal of any felon to own a firearm. As it was originally written these types of measures where suppose to be taken up individually. Once you served your time you were freeman again, this got changed in more recent days

#22    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 21 December 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

I don't understand why you're making up BS. I haven't accused the church of anything.

I know you didnt. You said it in your last post. But how did I fellt that you kindly hinting that?...Then on who do you think when you post picture about Jesus figure? Who is Good Lord?

Edited by the L, 21 December 2012 - 01:15 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#23    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,555 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

View Postthe L, on 21 December 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

I know you didnt. You said it in your last post. But how did I fellt that you kindly hinting that?...Then on who do you think when you post picture about Jesus figure? Who is Good Lord?
Are you really this clueless? It's poking fun at America's love of Jesus and guns.

You want to see something that isn't there.

Edited by Rlyeh, 21 December 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#24    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,316 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Nothing wrong with having guns as your local folklore, as long as no bystander gets hurt.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#25    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 21 December 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

Are you really this clueless? It's poking fun at America's love of Jesus and guns.

You want to see something that isn't there.

I understand but one could read it differently. Im glad that you choose redicule side.

#26    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 6,965 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostRender, on 21 December 2012 - 06:51 AM, said:

That's the key sentence there.
These Americans think of themselves as vigilantes. Having to take matters into their own hands. The cause of a lot of problems.
The world isn't a Hollywood movie...
yea, we take OUR matter into OUR own hands. what is wrong with that?? otoh, don't bother answering.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#27    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,399 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostRender, on 21 December 2012 - 06:51 AM, said:

That's the key sentence there.
These Americans think of themselves as vigilantes. Having to take matters into their own hands. The cause of a lot of problems.
The world isn't a Hollywood movie...

I fully believe the right to have guns is a enormous deterent to government tyranny. That doesnt even come close to meaning I see myself as a vigilante. The last thing I want to do is have a confrontation with any type of criminal. or any type of authority. Almost everyone I know has guns, and not one of us thinks of themselfs as vigilantes. Its amazing how the subject of guns just brings out the worst in people. Since the shooting last week I have heard so many false claims, twisted truths and out right lies. The only "problems" we have that are gun related either have to do with gangs, who own them illegaly. Or victoms of drug companies that have had thier brains destroyed my mind altering chemicals. They claim folks have "chemical imbalances" that they have no test for, nor can they prove in anyway shape or form.

Anyhow if you dont like guns, or Americans who own them, then forget you.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#28    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 6,965 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 21 December 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

America also has the highest rate of Gun related homicide in the world - which I suppose is cool to.

America the  hard man who sorts out his problems with bullets, I wonder why the world is in a near perpetual state of colonial wars :td:

Br Cornelius
oh, please, learn history, perpetual state of colonial wars, happens since begining of times, don't try to push that one on us, iirc britan empire did more colonial wars that the rest combined.

btw, we also have highest rate of lethal car accedents, medical mistakes, police brutality, gang violence, hospital infections that ended up with death,......we also have highest population after china and india, highest number of guns, in private hands .......... the list could go on and on.
we ARE different.  and you know what, we have just as many good sides as bad, and i'll take usa over any other "safe" country any day.

Edited by aztek, 21 December 2012 - 03:58 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#29    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,815 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

The simple facts of the American homicide rate really puts all this freedom **** into context - free to kill innocents (easily). Free to be afraid that the next time you have a falling out with a stranger you could easily end up dead.
Freedom is a much abused word and the American love of guns has done nothing to prevent a slide into tyranny - you have already arrived. Its time to grow up and stop living the frontiers man outlaw lifestyle.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 21 December 2012 - 03:39 PM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#30    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,815 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

View Postaztek, on 21 December 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

oh, please, learn history, perpetual state of colonial wars, happens since begining of times, don't try to push that one on us, iirc britan empire did more colonial wars that the rest combined
The great American lie is that they are exporting freedom to the world - when in fact they are bullying countries to do it the American way or no way.
Bastion of freedom and liberator of the oppressed - its about time the worlds policeman started behaving itself in a civilized manner.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users