Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do secret police operate in the U.S., and

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#16    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,379 posts

• ראה

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 09 February 2011 - 01:10 PM, said:

You are confusing "clearance" with "material".

And yes, unless I get some indication that this isn't a conspiracy thread, I will be moving it.
The Washington Post investigation didn't imply a "conspiracy" per se, and I'm not either.  I'm simply saying that I want to know what 800,000+ people are doing with this level of clearance.  Especially considering that it took only one person to wreck the entire State Department's credibility.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#17    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:46 PM

Ah, well, that's easy then.

The majority of the people with Top Secret clearance are basically in the same room as Top Secret material.  They can't look at it, or often even access it, but they are in the same working area, and because of that, need Top Secret clearance just to walk in the room.  They don't actually get to touch any Top Secret Material.

#18    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,332 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:47 PM

you not only need top secert clearance, you also have to have a need to know.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#19    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,379 posts

• ראה

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:51 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 09 February 2011 - 11:46 PM, said:

Ah, well, that's easy then.

The majority of the people with Top Secret clearance are basically in the same room as Top Secret material.  They can't look at it, or often even access it, but they are in the same working area, and because of that, need Top Secret clearance just to walk in the room.  They don't actually get to touch any Top Secret Material.
What's your saying is, the Washington Post, one of the most respected newspapers in the world, wrote a highly detailed story, which was not widely criticized, that has exaggerated their claims beyond anyone's wildest imagination.

I'm never afraid to say, when I have the best laugh of the day.

Edited by Raptor Witness, 10 February 2011 - 02:55 AM.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#20    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:12 AM

View PostRaptor Witness, on 10 February 2011 - 02:51 AM, said:

What's your saying is, the Washington Post, one of the most respected newspapers in the world, wrote a highly detailed story, which was not widely criticized, that has exaggerated their claims beyond anyone's wildest imagination.

A major news outlet exaggerated claims to write a good story?

Shocker!

But no, actually, I am not saying that.  If anything, the only person exaggerating anything is you exaggerating the conclusions that the Washington Post came to.  All that I said was that the huge number of people with Top Secret clearances doesn't really mean all that much.

I'm never afraid to say, when I have the best laugh of the day.

Yes, well, laughing at the people you are supposedly having an adult and civil discussion with has always been considered the hallmark of a respectable debater.

Edited by aquatus1, 10 February 2011 - 03:13 AM.

#21    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,379 posts

• ראה

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:20 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 10 February 2011 - 03:12 AM, said:

A major news outlet exaggerated claims to write a good story?

Shocker!

But no, actually, I am not saying that.  If anything, the only person exaggerating anything is you exaggerating the conclusions that the Washington Post came to.  All that I said was that the huge number of people with Top Secret clearances doesn't really mean all that much.

Yes, well, laughing at the people you are supposedly having an adult and civil discussion with has always been considered the hallmark of a respectable debater.
I used to win college debates regularly by making the entire audience roll on the floor, so if I said that you make me laugh, I wouldn't automatically assume that it is bad.

The Washington Post report suggested that they were in contact with government employees who were fearful of the number of people with Top Secret clearance.  That sounds like patriotism in action, to me.

Apparently the Congress may be thinking along those same lines, if the rejection of the Patriot Act in the House of Representatives yesterday, was any indication.

Edited by Raptor Witness, 10 February 2011 - 07:31 AM.

#22    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:13 AM

View PostRaptor Witness, on 10 February 2011 - 07:20 AM, said:

I used to win college debates regularly by making the entire audience roll on the floor, so if I said that you make me laugh, I wouldn't automatically assume that it is bad.

I used to judge college debates, and yeah, laughter is nice and all, but when it becomes an argument of incredulity, we marked down for it.

The Washington Post report suggested that they were in contact with government employees who were fearful of the number of people with Top Secret clearance.  That sounds like patriotism in action, to me.

Sounds like an organizational issue to me.

Apparently the Congress may be thinking along those same lines, if the rejection of the Patriot Act in the House of Representatives yesterday, was any indication.

I'm sorry...I am not seeing the link here.

#23    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,379 posts

• ראה

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:27 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 10 February 2011 - 09:13 AM, said:

I'm sorry...I am not seeing the link here.
The House of Representatives apparently renewed the Patriot act today, somewhat mysteriously, given the vote down the day before. Some people are arguing that the lunch meeting at the White House yesterday for the Republican leadership, may have had something to do with the sudden turnaround in sentiment.

If the House had not passed [H.R. 514,] it would have cut some of these Top Secret positions, and shrunk the size of Homeland. The point being, that libertarian Republicans may be in agreement that the whole Homeland secret police force has grown larger than necessary. This is what libertarians argue against, so if there's nothing there, why pick this as a target?  The reason is obvious to me, there is a secret police force there, and they don't like it.

#24    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:35 AM

So, just to clarify...you believe the Republican voted against the PA because they were afraid of a secret police?

#25    StarChild 83

StarChild 83

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

• "The truth was forgotten long ago, now we just have our imaginations to fill in the blanks." StarChild 83

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:22 AM

there are individuals within the military who do the intel gathering in foreign places. there job is to become a part of he culture and make contacts. how do you think we find out about stuff? Journalist? I mean it couldn't be cops or even FBI, the CIA? maybe but, i don't know there jurisdiction laws that they have to follow exactly. But the military has none to comply with. Besides not killing innocent people. and even if they did no one would ever find out.

"Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'" H.J. Simpson

#26    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,379 posts

• ראה

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:46 AM

From talking to friends and family in law enforcement, both federal and local, maybe 10% of these individuals would have Top Secret clearance.

There are as of 2006, 683,396 full time state, city, university and college, metropolitan and non-metropolitan county, and other law enforcement officers in the United States. There are approx. 120,000 full time law enforcement personnel working for the federal government adding up to a total number of 800,000 law enforcement personnel in the U.S.

Read more: http://wiki.answers....e_United_states

Projections data from the National Employment Matrix
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos160.htm

First-line supervisors/managers of police and detectives
2006 93,000
2016 102,000

Detectives and criminal investigators
2006 106,000
2016 125,000

Fish and game wardens
2006 8,000
2016 8,000

Police officers
2006 654,000
2016 724,000

Police and sheriff's patrol officers
2006 648,000
2016 719,000

Transit and railroad police
2006 5,600
2016 5,900

Edited by Raptor Witness, 12 February 2011 - 05:49 AM.

#27    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,379 posts

• ראה

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:29 AM

Word has reached my ears that the U.S. government classified 16 million documents last year. That's 20 top secret documents generated for each one of these 800,000 with top level clearance.

For every U.S. government employee with top secret clearance, send ten friends of the wind to whisper in one ear, but if they cannot hear my voice then send ten thousand to blow trumpets in both ears, and if they still don't hear me, then let the earth speak with a single voice of many waters, until their own thoughts are completely drowned out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Raptor Witness, 14 April 2011 - 03:40 AM.

#28    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

• If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:23 PM

What?

Credentials/Background<--This is a link!

It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry
http://chzgifs.files...chucknorris.gif

#29    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,100 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

View Posteqgumby, on 14 April 2011 - 07:23 PM, said:

What?
I must say that I echo this sentiment, and I'm not sure what the eye and the UFO represent; I can only surmise that it's something to do with the Masons.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#30    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:37 PM

So looking over the thread I want to know why aquatus hasn't used his secret police connections to "take care" of Raptor?

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users