Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant squid filmed in natural habitat

glorybebe

A team from Japan’s National Science Museum has captured what’s considered the first ever film footage of a giant squid in its natural habitat, about 900 metres below sea level.

In conjunction with broadcasters NHK and the U.S. Discovery Channel, the team said it discovered the elusive creature in July, in the watery depths 15 kilometres east of Chichi island in the north Pacific Ocean.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/01/07/giant-squid-footage.html

Cool picture, can't wait to watch the episode!

• Like 3

Sweet, it's coming up this month! Thanks for the heads up!

Not a problem! I love watching shows on the ocean. And to find that this mythical monster is real and you can see it swimming down deep? Pretty cool IMO.

Looks like a good doco but does this mean once they learn there movements and habitat they will fish them out like they do with everything else.

• Like 1

Looks like a good doco but does this mean once they learn there movements and habitat they will fish them out like they do with everything else.

Supposedly the flesh of a giant squid reeks of ammonia so it's unlikely it will be a popular food item, with the possible exception of Japan where anything from the sea seems to be consumed. Also filming one animal does not tell a lot about where the species as a whole might be found at any given time, but it's a start.

Supposedly the flesh of a giant squid reeks of ammonia so it's unlikely it will be a popular food item, with the possible exception of Japan where anything from the sea seems to be consumed. Also filming one animal does not tell a lot about where the species as a whole might be found at any given time, but it's a start.

I read before that theses creatures woudl be toxic to humans. Now, if I can just find where I read that so that we can verify it....

Wow! Nice find! That is pretty amazing, seems like it's easier to find them.now and that is kind of too bad. I wonder what they did with the the one they caught? Tako sushi?

This is awesome! Nature is quite beautiful.

Lovingly splendid! 'Tis too bad that it has taken so long to get footage such as this, however.

Did they kill it for science and can it for sale after they surfaced?

I read before that theses creatures woudl be toxic to humans. Now, if I can just find where I read that so that we can verify it....

Surely they can cut off a fin or something and leave the rest of the creature to die...

Edited by Timonthy

I hear that these giant suckers make quite a huge and delicious appetizer of "Fried Calamari" in North Jersey!

I definitely want one with "Vincent's Sweet Sauce" Damn that sounds tasty!!

P.S. they are Aliens!

*Thinking about Calamari*

I wonder if any deep sea exploration is going on for megalodon? One of the least understood parts of the ocean is that twilight zone, between 660 to 3,300 feet down. I love that we are starting to develope the technology to get down there!