Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

To be born or not to be.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Its hard to give up on life but the state of the world makes it hard to maintain a good attitude about the subject. Having a child you know will be forced to grow up in the future generations makes it seem even more desperate to make sweeping changes in the way humanity deals with one other. But alas everyday I walk away disappointed.

#17    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,281 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

I would not want to be born if I had to live through some of the horrible experiences I had in the past. Years of pain and unhappiness.  

The good news is that it will never happen again.  I'm older, wiser, and tougher now.   So things are looking up.  But it's hard when you can't see how things could be different at the time.

If I knew then what I know now...

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#18    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

View PostSean93, on 11 February 2013 - 04:52 AM, said:

Given the choice, would you rather have been born into this life, knowing it's ramifications or would you prefer to never exist?

Oh, and I was never given a choice in the matter, remember that.

What would your choices be? And is there anything you can say that would change my view?

I'm 60. Weighing up the good, bad and indifferent over these 60 years, I would say it hasn't been worth it. I would prefer to have never existed.

As to not having a choice in the matter of being born or not, weeell, plenty of people believe that your spirit does make the decision to incarnate.  Just as a mental exercise, try and view your life thus far, from that standpoint ..... imagine that you actively chose to be here. Maybe even chose your specific situation ...... or chose specifically to be with a particular person?

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#19    MisterCee

MisterCee

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• "Quando omni flunkus moritati"

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:33 AM

Interesting question, which I have considered myself many times.  On the one side of the equation, we have all of the consequences of our existence to consider (children, grandchildren, jobs, accomplishments) and on the other side we have all of the things we have missed out on (failed relationships, divorce, missed promotions, etc.).  Toss into the mix all of the historical and significant world accomplishments we have been witness to and it further muddies the choice.  Without running too far in the weeds on the topic, I remember hearing one theology/philosophy state that the basis of this world (existence) was materialistic.  Given that, I think we can be excused for our choices to answer this question.  I vote never to have had this ride (with apologies to my son).

#20    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

Wow talk about some downers here haha,yes the world sucks sometimes and yes we all have had horrible experiences.Yet if never around you would never have had the good experiences either.None here ever look at a clear night sky in wonder and amazement?None here ever accomplish something others said could never be done?None here ever been in such a messed up situation you should have died but somehow woke up and were like damn im Alive!I cant ******* believe it but im alive somehow!If you never existed none of that is possible.I have experienced these things and am glad i have!

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#21    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,058 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Sometimes I feel that being flesh is vial and discusting, just takeing a crap seems like an utterly worthless discussting thing  I have to do being stuck in this meat sack.

But this to shall pass. Life is a procession of moments. You will barely recognize yourself 10 years from now and then you can face palm at yoursel. I know I have many many times.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#22    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 12 February 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

Wow talk about some downers here haha,yes the world sucks sometimes and yes we all have had horrible experiences.Yet if never around you would never have had the good experiences either.None here ever look at a clear night sky in wonder and amazement?None here ever accomplish something others said could never be done?None here ever been in such a messed up situation you should have died but somehow woke up and were like damn im Alive!I cant ******* believe it but im alive somehow!If you never existed none of that is possible.I have experienced these things and am glad i have!

Of course people who wish they'd never been born see beautiful things, experience wonderful things at first hand ...... the point is in the weighing up, weighing the wonderful against the crap. I used to feel(in my teens/20s, even 30s to some extent), that the conditions the creatures of the world suffered, could be improved. The older I got the more I realised that this is not the case. Generations do not learn from the appalling mistakes of the generations that went before them. Love for fellow mankind and other life-forms does not increase from generation to generation. Those with the most power and influence are very rarely the ones who use those qualities for the betterment of all. No, life is basically rubbish, and when we feel happy and content it's just because we, personally, at that brief moment in time, are not feeling any pain or discomfort and are not concerning ourselves with the suffering of others.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#23    _Only

_Only

• 6,525 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

So the question is seeming to be what do you choose to dwell on and give more power to, the good or the bad in your life.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#24    95-Nasty

95-Nasty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

• Mom and daddy said "the life that you've led
    You'll party you're way straight to hell"

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Sometimes (when i was younger) i wish i was never born, but now im glad i was! Life is life and no matter what happens your here and you have made a differance!

The gods you worship are steel, at the alter of Rock 'n Roll youl kneel.

Long live, long live the King of Mercy.

#25    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

View Post_Only, on 12 February 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

So the question is seeming to be what do you choose to dwell on and give more power to, the good or the bad in your life.
Aaah, if only it were that simple! 99.9% of the time you can't control how much good or bad comes into your life, and if there's too much bad over a long period of time, then the ability to think positively and 'bounce back' eventually dies.

View Post95-Nasty, on 12 February 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

Sometimes (when i was younger) i wish i was never born, but now im glad i was! Life is life and no matter what happens your here and you have made a differance!
Hmm, but in what way have you made a difference? In the bigger picture what each individual does is as nothing! :lol:

#26    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hurt, pain, suffering, dissapointment etc etc

All the things that most of us experience. A few of us experienc eit more than others and earlier on in life than others.

I'm one fo those, but then I'm also not starving to death in Africa.

All those negatives can be blown away by one huge positive... Love. WOnce you experience that you realise thta you would go through all the bad times a million times over, just for that 1 feeling of true love.

Then add in, beauty, nature, happyness, friendship and laughter...

I'd choose to be born.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#27    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 12 February 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Of course people who wish they'd never been born see beautiful things, experience wonderful things at first hand ...... the point is in the weighing up, weighing the wonderful against the crap. I used to feel(in my teens/20s, even 30s to some extent), that the conditions the creatures of the world suffered, could be improved. The older I got the more I realised that this is not the case. Generations do not learn from the appalling mistakes of the generations that went before them. Love for fellow mankind and other life-forms does not increase from generation to generation. Those with the most power and influence are very rarely the ones who use those qualities for the betterment of all. No, life is basically rubbish, and when we feel happy and content it's just because we, personally, at that brief moment in time, are not feeling any pain or discomfort and are not concerning ourselves with the suffering of others.

Yes ouija but if never existing you would never have the chance to weigh anything.You are correct the world as a whole goes ass backward till the point comes to a end and we have to start trying to move forward again,this is just the nature of the beast so to say.I never feel content with who i am,i always try to better myself or my situation and usually keep other's in mind aswell.The brief moment in time while not feeling pain or discomfort is not realistic for me haha.I hate to hear some have this view but your life you know it best,but me myself i have loved the good times and even the bad times.Sometimes the good times you just go through without thinking or knowing,but pain makes everyone feel alive.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#28    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,281 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

Maybe I chose to be born just to annoy other people. B)

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#29    _Only

_Only

• 6,525 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 12 February 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

Aaah, if only it were that simple! 99.9% of the time you can't control how much good or bad comes into your life, and if there's too much bad over a long period of time, then the ability to think positively and 'bounce back' eventually dies.

But it really is that simple. You don't choose what happens to you (according to what we know about life so far), but you do choose when and why you lose that ability to think positively. And there's always a chance to bring it back, if you so choose. I know from experience.  I was living in a pit of self pity, despair, and hate for close to 10 years. I've been mad with fear and pain in a bathtub holding a toaster inches from the water, yet somehow am still here today. It got better one night. It may get bad again. Do I want to wait for it? No, I'll be positive and hope for it to get immensely better every day. There's that choice. Free will! It can never die; only be temporarily suppressed at best. I thought mine had been broken for years, but something fought back.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#30    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

View Post_Only, on 13 February 2013 - 02:33 AM, said:

But it really is that simple. You don't choose what happens to you (according to what we know about life so far), but you do choose when and why you lose that ability to think positively. And there's always a chance to bring it back, if you so choose. I know from experience.  I was living in a pit of self pity, despair, and hate for close to 10 years. I've been mad with fear and pain in a bathtub holding a toaster inches from the water, yet somehow am still here today. It got better one night. It may get bad again. Do I want to wait for it? No, I'll be positive and hope for it to get immensely better every day. There's that choice. Free will! It can never die; only be temporarily suppressed at best. I thought mine had been broken for years, but something fought back.

That is your experience, mine is different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users