Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

What is modern music lacking

music

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#16    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

View PostEuphorbia, on 09 October 2012 - 04:32 AM, said:

Each person has heard most genre's of music. We all listen to specific genre's depending on the mood we are in. Most songs I don't even really bother with on the lyrics, but more just listen to the overall melody or beat of the song. Sometimes I want the song to move me in some way, get me pumped up, hit me emotionally, or just make me relax. Sometimes I just want to hear something to put me to sleep.

Music is supposed to be about the things in life that we as individuals find meaning in or that are pleasing to the ear.

I certainly don't want to hear songs of suffering or about the suffering of others and I certainly don't believe we need songs about the safety of souls ( I don't believe in souls)! Given a choice of listening to the music you are describing or listening to no music at all I would choose the latter.....

Okay, I understand. You made your point. This is the attitude of the majority of people. In such a case music will entertain you but it won't develop you universally.

#17    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:07 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 09 October 2012 - 04:36 AM, said:

modern pop music is soulless ;)  

Good observation with some exceptions to this conclusion.

Edited by The_Spirit_of_Truth, 09 October 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#18    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

View Postbones101proof, on 09 October 2012 - 04:49 AM, said:

So much whiney, pansy music out there now, it's hard to point out what's right with music nowadays.

There is not so much right to be worth pointing at.

#19    _Only

_Only

• 6,672 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

View PostThe_Spirit_of_Truth, on 09 October 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

Because music has an influence upon man's subconsciousness and his soul, therefore it would do a good work if it was developing sympathy for the suffering as well as understanding of their hard life.

Does it? Or is it the other way around?

We could all listen to the same song and get striking, extremely different meaning and emotion, or lack thereof from it.

So is the written song influencing us, or is our own inner translation of it?

Cussing can be used as a good analogy. You could say '@#$% you' to one person and illicit an angry response. Others would get uncomfortable or afraid. Some might laugh. Others will shake your hand. This wide array of emotions, most contrasting others, isn't caused by the word itself or by its intent by the speaker. They were caused by the person's own inner translation. The only person who can get an emotional or conscious/subconscious/unconscious reaction out of yourself is.. yourself. The initial medium can only present itself to you, for you to interpret, either consciously or otherwise.

So, what is your Spirit telling you the music is about? You have already told us in the OP.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#20    _Only

_Only

• 6,672 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:23 AM

View PostGlacknor, on 09 October 2012 - 03:31 AM, said:

I happen to agree with Hasina here though... it's not the job of music to brink issues to the for front. The job of music is very simple and basic - to entertain.

That's fine for you. There are a multitude of other responses you could receive from other people, which would be correct and true in their eyes. To you, it is entertainment. For another, it may be release. Science. Art. Political. Philosophical. Love. Happiness. Worship. You name it, and you can tie music and song into it. Music is almost as old as man. I'd be curious to see if it is even as old as man. I just know it was not entertainment when natives of my country would sing and dance to, and for, their gods.

Even if you just were referring to the music entertainment business, far too many people put much more meaning into it than simply 'entertainment'.

#21    _Only

_Only

• 6,672 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

View PostThe_Spirit_of_Truth, on 09 October 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

accompanied by unsuitable words

Who decides what is suitable or not? You, and your sole interpretation of the words?

Who died and made you critic of Truth?

#22    _Only

_Only

• 6,672 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

View PostJinxdom, on 09 October 2012 - 05:42 AM, said:

If you think music is going in the wrong direction do something about it and write your own. Those 3 points I found covered in most genres...... including rap. Heck even groups like Insane Clown Posse has songs that talk about people going through bad things and what it does to those people. They even talk about saving your soul and going to God and market that with murder.

Exactly. But he has blinded himself to seeing the brighter sides of the songs by his predisposition to what he automatically (through his own or others conditioning) finds "unsuitable words". His conscious thought has taken over and commanded what he feels from songs. He should just let go and let the unconscious part take over. That's what I do for listening to music sometimes. I also, for fun, take songs and mix them together to make new songs. I don't even fit them together consciously most of the time. They just seem to piece together like a puzzle. It's the unconscious (or subconscious) mainly at work. Don't like what songs are saying? Let your unconscious mold them.

I'd be curious to hear your translation of this song, Spirit Of Truth:

#23    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

When has music ever been like you said Spirit?

There is a huge difference between the past and the present. Singing a song around a campfire with your family is completely different then listening to the radio, singing in the shower, in front of an audience in a play. There is more then one context in which music fits. What about background music in movies, tv shows or even video games? Each song in each situation has different criteria required to do its job.

Music comes in a variety almost reminds me of people when you think about it. Time changes things but the patterns will always stay the same. The great works will shine through the ages of time and the not so great will give way in a short time which gives a false sense of what was really going on at that time. That will never change. Nostalgia is a cruel mistress sometimes.

Honestly that mash-up is perfect for this topic.

#24    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

Doh double post

Edited by Jinxdom, 09 October 2012 - 07:20 AM.

#25    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Answer to your topics title is pretty much simple.... chords... music nowdays is lacking chords. Take a listen to a mozart song and then take a listen to any kind of music genre track today, you will find that melodic part of track is barely melodic, it changes notes very rarely... This was even written in a magazine not long ago.

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#26    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,314 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Well just one of the many things I noticed: The modern rock music of today is lacking guitar solos. I haven't heard a good guitar solo in years. My guess is that with modern technology pretty much anyone can play cool sounding rhythm guitar when you play with a drop D tuning and have your daddy buy you some nice amps and processing equipment.

I could go on and on about other reasons but I currently don't have the time to write a novel.

edit: Okay, I will add one more thing that I noticed. A lot of modern Pop music sounds really cool when it's cranked way up on a sound system and the bass is thumping. Take away that volume and it sounds pretty crappy to me.
Go back to the Pop of the 80's and most songs didn't depend on thumpy bass to give them a hook. Roxette and The Eurythmics are a great example of  80's pop culture that sounded great even at a low volume. Even punk music sounded good  at a low volume. Those songs had more than just 3 chords per song as well.  

One of the bands that I play in is a wedding/party band. People want to hear modern pop at the weddings we play so needless to say I have had to learn these songs. My band can sit down and nail at least 5 new (modern pop) songs down in about 1 hour. Most of the stuff that I'm playing on the keyboard are simple riffs that repeat themselves OVER and OVER and OVER the entire song. The majority of my time spent on new material is programming the right sounds into my synth to make it sound as close to the original.

Edited by BiffSplitkins, 09 October 2012 - 12:18 PM.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#27    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

Music is missing Heart and Soul.

#28    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,206 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

There is a LOT of modern/new music  being created.. in all genres ?    But as for modern POP.. i would say much of it lacks the power to INSPIRE  people.      Music should inspire people to tap their feet.. or cry.. or smile.. or march into battle.. whatever it's designed to inspire or has become associated with?

* good music makes you FEEL something emotionally  ?   It doesn't just vibrate your internal organs with MEGA BASS... or provide background noise for shopping ;)

Edited by lightly, 09 October 2012 - 01:03 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#29    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

misanthropic nihilist

• 26,174 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

What's modern music lacking? Trumpets. What they need is to bring back a good brass section. Never mind all these thumpy thumpy techno beats,

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#30    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Music's missing nothing since what we like in it is all opinion.

Posted Image

~MEH~

Also tagged with music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users