Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

good vs evil

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Mystify

Mystify

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 07:58 PM

Just wondering if anyone know the general background on where or why the words are good and evil come from. Is it based on this theory
GOD= GOOD
DEVIL= EVIL
Intresting how they co-alate?

I'm here today because of the past, i respect my self and all i have become and there for i do not regret the road i've walked.

#2    FarvLarion

FarvLarion

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 02:48 AM

That could as well be the case.  I don't doubt that the words came from religion, it seems that almost everything has.

Abiogenesis (ab-i-o-jen`-a-sis) n. (Biol.) The theory of spontaineous generation from non-living matter [Gk. a-: neg.: bios, life, genesis, birth].  Farv Michael Larion

#3    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 08:45 AM

Mystify,

It seems like a logical explanation to me, too. Kind of too coincidental. Like Farv said, lots of words and meanings have religious origins, but then I don't know for sure.

Homer[glow=color,strength,width]

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#4    Mystify

Mystify

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 06:32 PM

ģI just find it strange that the word GOD is in the word GOOD and that EVIL is in the word DEVIL...
I wonder if any other language besides english has this oddity?

I'm here today because of the past, i respect my self and all i have become and there for i do not regret the road i've walked.

#5    odinsupreme

odinsupreme

Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

• Yes.

Posted 07 September 2001 - 09:25 PM

Well, you asked if other languages have the same things, well, in The Netherlands we say Goed to good, and God, is also God, so, it looks almost the same, Goed and God, you pronounce it the same. We call the devilm Duivel, and if you "Be-duvel" someone, you fool him, in a negative way. I think that FarvLarion and Homer are right, even in german is Gut=Good and Gott=God

Odin Supreme 8)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users