Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Strange carcass washes up in NYC

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#151    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 29 July 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

Does anybody know the story on this thing?? or did it just wash up on shore and thats as far as anybody knows because it could be a naked mole rat thats just bloated to extreme sizes

It's a raccoon, demonstrated by dentition.

Posted Image

#152    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

View Postlittlelugs76, on 01 August 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

i know what you mean but take the fur from the picture in the photos of both my paw pic and your paw pic. in the picture of the creature you clearly have a shot of the underside of its feet, the pads are not the same as those found in canines i agree toe length could be the same but the pads are clearly not canine, also there is a distinct lack of dew claws on the creature, (even if the due claw had been removed (as often is on domestic dogs)(surely there would still be the nodule where the dew claw had been?)) would be intrested to see what others think

I was putting that down to bloating but I could be wrong then.

View PostTaylorReints, on 03 August 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

It's a raccoon, demonstrated by dentition.

Someone saying it on twitter isn't evidence... lol

Is there not a link to actual evidence?

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#153    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

View PostCoffey, on 03 August 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

Someone saying it on twitter isn't evidence... lol

Is there not a link to actual evidence?

http://www.businessi...-raccoon-2012-7

Posted Image

#154    OnlineCriticChick

OnlineCriticChick

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• "I am not a word, I am not a line. I am not a girl who could ever be defined" N. Minaj

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:20 AM

and Im assuming people get their drinking water from the same river this washed up out of, yummy.- I've looked and looked at this, and while it does resemble the rat species, it clearly has something wrong with it, the no hair reminds me of another picture I saw online of something they were calling a hairless dead chupacabra, it wasn't of course but this is what was written under the picture, but it had no hair like this, and the same color skin and teeth/ears. Either way, I will see this thing in my nightmares tonight, that image is hard to erase from your mind. - theres no doubt that things happen and are still happening that we can not explain, that we have yet to discover, but when I see things like this it makes me thing its the result of human created chemicals, etc. that change the characteristics of animals...like someone mentioned, it could even be a disease. But then again, what do I know, Im no scientist.

“Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.”
George Washington

#155    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,262 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

View PostTaylorReints, on 03 August 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

"Might" be a raccoon so still it is not a racoon

#156    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 04 August 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

"Might" be a raccoon so still it is not a racoon

The Department Chair of Zoology at Weber State University Dr. Sam Zeveloff, now tells us that he and his colleagues think the mutilated creature is most likely a raccoon.

"Several of us here think it is a raccoon! Its dentition from what can be seen, most resembles a raccoon's; so do its fingers," he wrote in an email.  

#157    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostTaylorReints, on 03 August 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

Thanks. :tu:

Yeah I'm seeing the raccoon paw more.

The Department Chair of Zoology at Weber State University Dr. Sam Zeveloff, now tells us that he and his colleagues think the mutilated creature is most likely a raccoon.  

This does my head in... Can't they quickly test it so we know.. Seriously?!

I find it hilarious that a "zoologist" thinks it is a raccoon. So well done everyone in the thread who "thinks it is a raccoon you can now class yourself as Zoologists.. LOL

View PostAbramelin, on 04 August 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

"Several of us here think it is a raccoon! Its dentition from what can be seen, most resembles a raccoon's; so do its fingers," he wrote in an email.  

Still not IS.

It amazes me that these people even comment. They didn't help at all. Just DNA test the thing and tell us ffs.

Edited by Coffey, 04 August 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#158    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

Hi Coffey.
Did anyone think to recover the carcass for DNA testing?   To be honest, had it been me finding this creature, I would only have taken piccies. It is not worth the trouble, or the cost of taking it for further tests.  Any animal that dies and then decomposes to the state in which this creature was found (specially if decomposition occured in the sea) will look unusual although most can be identified at scene or with sufficient photographs taken of the relevant parts of the animal, (teeth etc) and with an object within the photograph that can be used to identify the size of the animal.
I think the photographs are all we have and they are not the best in this case :)

#159    EDinWAState

EDinWAState

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

Is that a fly on the creature's neck (second picture)?

If so, might it give some sort of scale?

Ugly little bugger though.

#160    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

It's not a rat, they don't have teeth like that.  The jaw is too broad.  Rats have narrow jaws and their incisors are long both top and bottom.  Also, rat tails at very distinct, looking almost scaley, and much longer.

This looks like a dog.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#161    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostEnglishgent, on 04 August 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

Hi Coffey.
Did anyone think to recover the carcass for DNA testing?   To be honest, had it been me finding this creature, I would only have taken piccies. It is not worth the trouble, or the cost of taking it for further tests.  Any animal that dies and then decomposes to the state in which this creature was found (specially if decomposition occured in the sea) will look unusual although most can be identified at scene or with sufficient photographs taken of the relevant parts of the animal, (teeth etc) and with an object within the photograph that can be used to identify the size of the animal.
I think the photographs are all we have and they are not the best in this case :)

Good point, just kinda frustrating when everyone wants to know, but zoologists just say the same as us. lol

#162    SameerPrehistorica

SameerPrehistorica

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

• !! NO SPECIES LASTS FOREVER !!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Is that a photomanipulation ? :-*

- Signature removed, exceeds size limit -

#163    MISHA-lee

MISHA-lee

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• it's the people who don't believe in aliens are crazy

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

maybe a pig or someting??

#164    steve0489

steve0489

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

Could be a mutated animal that washed up like all the others, very mysterious though, they should do this topic on the show fact or faked,

#165    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,271 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

Still no solid answer on this one yet?

I am still going with rodent...

Just not sure which one.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Aliens Exist in Evolution Theory?, on 27 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

[quote name='tapirmusic' date='25 July 2012 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1343241293'...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users