Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

sceptic has near death experience

Lucas Cooper Merrin

now I'm aware that some will ridicule, and some will try as i did to explain this with logic and science, but as sceptical as i am this is the one experience in my life that i cannot explain or begin to break down with logic.

I was passenger in a fatal car accident in 2009, it was a head on with another car but the details are unimportant, anyway i was asleep in the passenger seat not wearing my safety belt when the impact happend, i vaguely remember the sound but not much eles of the acctual crash, i had been thrown through the windshield and my head had hit the roof of the other car and went on to skid down the road for 40 yards, now i remember the feeling of the asphalt on my back and could smell fuel and smoke but i dont remember any pain or anything visual but i was terrified, then i presume i lost consciousness, i dont know how much time had passed but i recall starting to feel warm and safe, i was still aware i had been in an accident and i guessed i was in the back of the medic truck and this sensation must be the morphine kicking in, then what felt like going down in a lift hit me and i opened my eyes but i wasn't in a medic truck, i wasnt lying in the road i was standing in my parents garden, it was warm and sunny i remember it all very clearly, i was uninjured and felt good, it was hugely confusing but felt natural if that makes sense, i was thinking clearly, fully aware and standing over 650 miles away from my last recollection.

The accident didnt seem relevant any more it felt like the distant past,

dad opend the door and and hugged me nothing was said,no words were spoke just a good feeling of love and happiness, and my mother was there too but did not approach me, they both stood back and waved and thats the last thing i remember, next thing i know im in the ICU having sufferd a sever head injury, huge blood loss and they had lost my pulse twice at the crash scene , the first thing i was reported saying to the nurses was if mum and dad were there, my parents had both died when i was 13.

Now im aware the logical explanation would be the brain has a defence mechanism to deal with sever trauma or that a combination of pain medication and head injury caused hallucinations, and as a sceptical rational man this is how i would normally explain such an experience, But it was the most realistic sensation ive had it seemed more real than real life! It wasn't like a dream! And 5 years on its still as clear in my mind as the day it happend! I even got emotional and tearful writing this!

its the one thing that keeps 10% of me sitting on the paranormal fence,

And would love to hear others experiences or explanations

Edited by Father Merrin
  • Like 6

having thought about my experience after reliving as i posted on here, I'm going to go down the more rational path that it probably was my minds response to severe trauma mixed with morphine!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. An interesting experience

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. An interesting experience

thanx spartan

It actually helped me understand my experience just by writing on here, it sort of allows one to analyse it in the third person so to speak!

I wrote of my similair experience here also and it helped me look at it from a more rational sense. But still i dont know.......was it real?

BTW Welcome to the NDE club!

Edited by jamesjr191
  • Like 1

I wrote of my similair experience here also and it helped me look at it from a more rational sense. But still i dont know.......was it real?

Hi James, i really dont know, did we pass over to the other side or was it merely a dream like state??

i suppose its one of those unanswerable questions

There's really no reason to believe that it was anything but your brain doing weird things after being exposed to extreme trauma. You were terribly injured, so I stands to reason that you'd hallucinate wildly while your body tried its best to keep you alive.

• Like 2

There's really no reason to believe that it was anything but your brain doing weird things after being exposed to extreme trauma. You were terribly injured, so I stands to reason that you'd hallucinate wildly while your body tried its best to keep you alive.

I guess it depends on your point of view. To me the fact that your experiencing vivid things when your brain should be inactive or better using resources for something else. Like going unconscious

The verdict is still out for me

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

Excellent story. i'm glad to see you're alive and well.

No NDE's for me thus far, so i can't really add to the conversation.

• Like 2

I always wonder are these experiences real or just dreams on awaking, you did say you lost consciousness, I just hope NDE`s are real not just dreams.

• Like 2

I always wonder are these experiences real or just dreams on awaking, you did say you lost consciousness, I just hope NDE`s are real not just dreams.

Yes fell unconscious and then was kept that way for 8 days due to swelling of the brain, and the medics lost my heart beat twice at the scene, The unusual thing is i dont remember any other dreams during that time!

Its quite a conflicting experience, but the logical answer is the most realistic explanation, but a tiny part of me whispers "what if"

• Like 1

Several years ago I was in a car smash ,and my car rolled over, then everything seemed to go into slow motion, when I crawled out of the window I realised that I had switched off the engine , opened the window , and unclipped my seatbelt, I didn't go unconscious so I can't say it was an N.D.E.but that was a really weird experience.

• Like 2

Several years ago I was in a car smash ,and my car rolled over, then everything seemed to go into slow motion, when I crawled out of the window I realised that I had switched off the engine , opened the window , and unclipped my seatbelt, I didn't go unconscious so I can't say it was an N.D.E.but that was a really weird experience.

The body and mind are amazingly resilient! You may have been on full auto pilot and not realised what you had done! did you have any injuries?

Ive had the slow motion sensation before during intense situations ! we were always told it was an adrenaline response,

• Like 1

Wow! What a story and I am very glad you survive that horrible accident!!

It's stories like this that keep me wondering too. I mean, none of us really know for sure right?

You saw, felt, experienced something very real for you. So hold that close to your heart. This is a part of you now and I can totally understand why it would make you question things; especially because you tend to be skeptic.

I can chime in and say stuff about the brain shutting down, head injury, traumatic experience, drugs you were given and all that, which probably holds some- if not a lot of- truth, but I'm not.

I'm going to say...cherish the memory of your parents and the feeling of love and warmth. Hold that close and find comfort in that. Stop worrying if this is real or not. It was an experience. Don't try to read into it or make it any less or any more than just that.

Hugs to you for having such a horrible accident. I hope you've healed up well. I'm glad you're here to share this with all of us :)

• Like 2

I feel being a sceptic, doesn't necessarily mean that you can't experience events that you are unable to explain rationally. I myself has had several unexplainable experiences during my lifetime and I've shrugged them off as probably having a logical explanation somehow. Having said that I must admit a part of me want them to be real....You have had a deep personal and emotional experience which may or may not be explained. Either way I'm thankful that you chose to share it, as it reminds me to not always automatically dismiss the unexplainable as being bogus.

• Like 2

Wow! What a story and I am very glad you survive that horrible accident!!

It's stories like this that keep me wondering too. I mean, none of us really know for sure right?

You saw, felt, experienced something very real for you. So hold that close to your heart. This is a part of you now and I can totally understand why it would make you question things; especially because you tend to be skeptic.

I can chime in and say stuff about the brain shutting down, head injury, traumatic experience, drugs you were given and all that, which probably holds some- if not a lot of- truth, but I'm not.

I'm going to say...cherish the memory of your parents and the feeling of love and warmth. Hold that close and find comfort in that. Stop worrying if this is real or not. It was an experience. Don't try to read into it or make it any less or any more than just that.

Hugs to you for having such a horrible accident. I hope you've healed up well. I'm glad you're here to share this with all of us :)

Awww Thank you,

Im 100% fit now, it amazing how much abuse the body can handle and bounce back! Yet we can choke on a chicken bone and its game over!

• Like 1

Awww Thank you,

Im 100% fit now, it amazing how much abuse the body can handle and bounce back! Yet we can choke on a chicken bone and its game over!

Yes indeedy! Like they say...I guess it "wasn't your time" and all that :yes:
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing your story! I had an NDE after major surgery going wrong. It sure makes you think about the afterlife! Glad to hear you're OK now.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My NDE back in 1966 was due to the injuries incurred by a car accident as well. I had two OBEs and numerous not quite out of the body experiences. The first OBE included the extensive visit of meeting family members who had passed, warmth and love, availability of all knowledge, long interview, etc.

I, too, am extremely analytical and thereby have always tended to want to deny the validity of my experience. However, for me it is impossible to deny because it was confirmed. I related all kinds of things I should not have known when I came out of the comma. Things I never got to see with physical eyes, that were no longer present when I came to. (I was blinded with the swell of huge black eyes.) And things I said during the experiences and the things I "heard"--actually what others were thinking--were confirmed; proven as fact.

So, for me to deny my NDE means to deny the truth, to be intellectually dishonest.

I have a book about my experience and the 45 years of gradual understandings of my and other NDEs. I have been encouraged to reproduce it here, segment by segment. But I read lots of the "articles" posted here by contributing authors and see no comments at the end. That makes me feel that people don't read the articals and that any contributions from my book will also go unread.

I, too, welcome you to the NDE club!

--MOA

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That is an AMAZING experience, and I am truly glad you are healthy and safe now!

As for the experience, I am a person who relies on a lot of faith. I know there is so much in this world that has yet to explained my science, rationality, etc, and from a very young age, I was drawn to those very things we cannot yet explain. My own belief is that you indeed had a NDE and went to Heaven. Now, with your human body so suddenly jolting from the physical world into the spiritual plain, I feel it is possible that the scene of the garden was created as it was the most calming and tranquil for you to visit, and no be too overwhelmed by this sudden change. I also believe that it was the spirits of your mother and father welcoming you there, and when you returned, it was their way of showing you that when you do pass on, everything will be calm, peaceful, and you will feel nothing but that love once more.

Again, this is just what I believe and it could be something else. A great experience nonetheless.

• Like 1