Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Outrage’ over Fed EBT push for immigrants

Socio

why? cuz you're mexican and you feel it is directed against your pisanos?? well yea, it is. i personally sick of ppl that i have to work with, that don't speak a word of English, and don't even want to learn.

when in rome do as romans do. imo fair enough

Agreed, if I lived anywhere else, to survive on my own and not be a burden to soceity, I would have to learn the language.

• Like 2

That's not being a bigot...

I don't know about you but when I go to a foreign country, I try to learn the law and language of the land so I can fit in. I personally applaud all the Mexican nationals and Central Americans that have come through our ESL program and successfully can communicate in English and who are working to get their "papers"/"papeles". I can see who is trying and who is not and there are people that have been here years upon years and do not want to speak one word of English which is only doing them harm because they are missing out on what is going on in the rest of the country or city out there and limiting themselves just to their little barrio.

My problem with the original comment was that he insisted the immigrant learn English before they come. I find that to be a highly prejudicial if not bigoted statement. It´s very difficult for many people to become proficient in English in their country of origin. Your post mainly refers to people after they have already arrived and their willingness to learn. I wasn´t commenting on that so really doesn´t apply to my comment. To be clear, I certainly think that upon arrival in a country where a foreign language is spoken and if planning on staying a person should begin / continue to learn that language.

why? cuz you're mexican and you feel it is directed against your pisanos?? well yea, it is. i personally sick of ppl that i have to work with, that don't speak a word of English, and don't even want to learn.

when in rome do as romans do. imo fair enough

First off, I´m not Mexican, Secondly,as mentioned above, I think it is unrealistic to expect all immigrants to speak English before they arrive here. Not surprised to see you jump in here nor read your comment. And I can only imagine how much my "paisanos" must love working with you.

Agreed, if I lived anywhere else, to survive on my own and not be a burden to soceity, I would have to learn the language.

To be proficient before you arrived? Hopefully you´d be in a situation where you could afforde the luxury. Many are not.

double-post

Edited by jugoso

, I think it is unrealistic to expect all immigrants to speak English before they arrive here. Not surprised to see you jump in here nor read your comment. And I can only imagine how much my "paisanos" must love working with you.

i never said they have to know English before coming here, i have no problem with ppl that donj't speak yet, but take all steps to learn, those that don't speak, but make sure they will be understood, either thru translator on the phone, or by other means, who i do have problem with is those that don't speak and think it is my problem to figure wtf they are talking about. those don't work for me longer than 1 day, and i,m sure they hate every minute of it, but those that see their no English situation is their problem, and it is them who have to work on it, work for me for a long time, and get good pay, and treated with respect they deserve.

Having just returned from a 4 week vacation in New York and Florida, I was surprised to see almost all signs written in both Spanish and English. Particularly evident in the Airports (Newark and Orlando).

There appears to be no need to learn English (even stores have bi-lingual signs) ... so who is to blame for the fact that many people do not learn English?? In fact I came across a couple of "Farmer boys" , of US Stock, and I could not understand a word of what they were saying.

Having just returned from a 4 week vacation in New York and Florida, I was surprised to see almost all signs written in both Spanish and English. Particularly evident in the Airports (Newark and Orlando).

There appears to be no need to learn English (even stores have bi-lingual signs) ... so who is to blame for the fact that many people do not learn English?? In fact I came across a couple of "Farmer boys" , of US Stock, and I could not understand a word of what they were saying.

Signage is one thing but what about everyday interactions and communications. A job for example, must coworkers or supervisors have a translator or hold up signs all day for simple things? Soon enough those who don't learn Spanish will be damned as ignoramuses. America is becoming less about opportunity and more about full on accommodation. The über pc crowd thinks we are to be personal concierges for every poor soul who steps foot on our land.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-

i never said they have to know English before coming here, i have no problem with ppl that donj't speak yet, but take all steps to learn, those that don't speak, but make sure they will be understood, either thru translator on the phone, or by other means, who i do have problem with is those that don't speak and think it is my problem to figure wtf they are talking about. those don't work for me longer than 1 day, and i,m sure they hate every minute of it, but those that see their no English situation is their problem, and it is them who have to work on it, work for me for a long time, and get good pay, and treated with respect they deserve.

Ok....I understand how you feel about people with poor oral English skills. Let me ask how you feel about people with poor written English skills? :devil:

Immigrants should at least try and pick up the basics of English before coming here. Do something, make some kind of effort. Several countries teach it as a second language, just like spanish is taught as a second language here in public schools. That's what I meant.

Edited by WoIverine

and FFS, speak ENGLISH before you come here!

Immigrants should at least try and pick up the basics of English before coming here. Do something, make some kind of effort. Several countries teach it as a second language, just like spanish is taught as a second language here in public schools. That's what I meant.

I´m in full agreement with your latter statement. That wasn´t my understanding from your former one. They do read a little differently

Ok....I understand how you feel about people with poor oral English skills. Let me ask how you feel about people with poor written English skills? :devil:

no, you don't understand. you missed my point entirely. but i didn't expect you to get it anyway.google intent, and attitude, than read my post again, maybe you'll get the point.as for written skill, i don't care about them one bit, can you guess why??

no, you don't understand. you missed my point entirely. but i didn't expect you to get it anyway.google intent, and attitude, than read my post again, maybe you'll get the point.as for written skill, i don't care about them one bit, can you guess why??

Well if you didn´t expect me to understand your reply, why not save time and do us both a favour and not bother.

You can't be reasonable with people who think it is their right to something that is not intended for them (Social Security Benefits) and you can't talk someone into learning something that is fundamental to becoming part of a Nation (English Language), those who do these two are selfish and don't think of a community as a whole. They only think about themselves, destroying the foundation of America's workforce and degrading the prosperity of an community.

I will never turn my back on another person who is in dire situation or very bad shape of life, but I will not help someone who has the tools to help themselves. Definitely to some people who decide to bypass the system all together, ignore the rules of a nation, and willing to put a nations economy on the line for selfish reasons. They know who they are, they are the ones with the loudest voice against rules that could protect this nation from a great decline.

Nations that do what we are planning, but condemn my nation for trying to do the same are hypocrites and have no right determining this. America has been more than generous to the whole world, of course the whole world is calling us names behind our backs and treating us like the black sheep. In some sense, we are the black sheep because we put our own nation in trouble to protect others....

The illegal immigrants of this age for America is very self-entitled and belief they can get away with anything... p***ing off the real immigrants who went through the process to become an actual American Citizen.

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 2