Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Joe Blow likes to deer hunt, threatens wife

new york cuomo gun law sandy hook

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,214 posts

• ראה

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

Joe Blow likes to deer hunt and drink at the same time. He also likes to beat his wife on occasion. So he goes to a therapist and tells the lady. "I'm going to kill my wife if she doesn't stop nagging me about deer carcasses all over the back yard." Joe is a new patient, unfamiliar to the lady therapist; who is also, fresh out of college.

She calls the New York state mental health police and reports that Mr. Blow is planning to kill his wife, and needs his guns confiscated. The state police show up with a warrant, take the man's guns, and with them, the only thing keeping Joe from actually killing his wife, who must now flee for her very life.

Nice move governor, but not very well thought out, because if you make the mental health profession the adversary, you will multiply the ticking time bombs by several times.

The killers that are rising among U.S. and like rats who hide in the shadows, and who will easily avoid your trap.  Their arrogance, however, might allow them to try and beat a good psychological test. That's how you catch them. You use their own narcissim, to draw them out of the shadows. You pit them against a test, not the profession. That's your silver bullet.

Cuomo's new measures include:[8]
  • Bans possession of any high-capacity magazines regardless of when they were made or sold. Only magazines able to hold up to seven rounds can be sold in the state. Magazines able to hold seven to ten rounds can be possessed, but cannot be loaded with more than seven rounds.
  • Ammunition dealers are required to do background checks, similar to those for gun buyers. Dealers are required to report all sales, including amounts, to the state. Internet sales of ammunition are allowed, but the ammunition will have to be shipped to a licensed dealer in New York state for pickup.
  • Requires creation of a registry of assault weapons. Those New Yorkers who already own such weapons would be required to register their guns with the state.
  • Requires any therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat of harming others to report the threat to a mental health director, who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.
  • Stolen guns should be reported within 24 hours.
  • Reduces definition of "assault weapon" from two identified features to one.
  • Requires background checks for all gun sales, including by private dealers - except for sales to members of the seller's immediate family.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#2    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,790 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostRaptor Witness, on 16 January 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

She calls the New York state mental health police and reports that Mr. Blow is planning to kill his wife, and needs his guns confiscated. The state police show up with a warrant, take the man's guns, and with them, the only thing keeping Joe from actually killing his wife, who must now flee for her very life.
You're not very good at making sense, are you?

Your brilliant solution is to allow a wife beater to keep his guns, and he won't kill her. Great logic there.

Edited by Rlyeh, 16 January 2013 - 07:04 AM.

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,198 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

The major takeaway for me is that the "ticking time bomb" will get worse because he/she will be more likely to avoid seeking help.  And if a therapist misdiagnoses (happens all the time) and a person in their care goes rogue then what?  Are THEY held responsible?  Is their life's work and education destroyed due to a single mistake?  If anything like this happens then therapists will have an incentive to call almost everyone they see with anger or depression issues a danger.  That is half of the people you'll meet in your life.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#4    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,344 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

My answer: Yes

The deemed mentally ill will be targeted first for gun confiscation.  It could get potentially messy.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#5    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,800 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

If a person tells a psychologist right now that they will commit murder, does the psych under current regulations have to inform the police?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,969 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

The life of the wife is a higher good than Joe's deer hunt. If Joe can't control himself I see no problem with confiscating his guns until deemed stable enough to have them back.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,051 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

So the problem is? In this situation the man made a credible threat on the life of his wife. You state he drinks while using a firearm and gets angry enough to beat his wife. Right there those two things should show the man is A) not competent enough to use a firearm successfully. and B) That he is a violent person. He then makes a threat on a persons life. His guns should be removed and he should be arrested for uttering death threats.

~thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#8    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,042 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostThanato, on 16 January 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

So the problem is? In this situation the man made a credible threat on the life of his wife. You state he drinks while using a firearm and gets angry enough to beat his wife. Right there those two things should show the man is A) not competent enough to use a firearm successfully. and B) That he is a violent person. He then makes a threat on a persons life. His guns should be removed and he should be arrested for uttering death threats.

~thanato
I have to agree with this statement.

RAPTOR, I think you used a poor example to get your point across. I'm pretty sure I see what you were aiming for but you missed your target a bit. Joe Blow doesn't sound like a man I would want to own a gun at all, and I'm all for our 2nd ammendment rights.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#9    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,950 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

So an irresponsible, violent, and perhaps unstable person has his guns taken away? I'm ok with this.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#10    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

He should have kept his dumbass mouth shut.

#11    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,800 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 16 January 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

He should have kept his dumbass mouth shut.

That's the moral of the story? When planning to kill someone, don't tell anyone?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#12    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostStellar, on 16 January 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

That's the moral of the story? When planning to kill someone, don't tell anyone?

I guess we are far away from "minority report" so there is nothing we can do against those who don't say anything.

And if somebody wants to kill anybody he/she does not need a gun, guns just make it apparently easier being more tempting.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#13    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,285 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 16 January 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

guns just make it apparently easier being more tempting.
if you think guns are tempting, and make you more likely to kill someone, may be it isn't gun, but YOU, may be YOU should not be allowed top touch one. god forbid a tiny voice in the gun will jump into your head, and make you kill someone.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#14    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

View Postaztek, on 16 January 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

if you think guns are tempting, and make you more likely to kill someone, may be it isn't gun, but YOU, may be YOU should not be allowed top touch one. god forbid a tiny voice in the gun will jump into your head, and make you kill someone.

I don't have tiny voices or imaginary friends.

about me

#15    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,285 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

i'd like to see the source, cuz i'm sure now, antigunners will make up planty of fake or partaly fake (best way to hide a lie is between two thruths) horror stories to keep attention on them.
i'm not saying it is imposible that this is true, but i've seen plenty of their lies by now.

RESIDENT TROLL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users