Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Navy to stash drones under the sea

Saru

DARPA is reaching out to the research community to help overcome difficulties in making this a reality.

The U. S. Navy wants to pack aerial drones and other intelligence-gathering technology into special containers built to withstand deep ocean pressures and distribute them around the world’s seas.

arrow3.gifRead more...

No comment because it wouldnt be polite.

Thanks for sharing Mod.

• Like 2

No comment because it wouldnt be polite.

Thanks for sharing Mod.

banish him for thinking impolite thoughts!!!!!! lol just kidding

banish him for thinking impolite thoughts!!!!!! lol just kidding

I believe theres already a thread for that topic

Theoretically sound I guess but it also sounds expensive. I guess they've crunched the numbers and it is considered to be potentially a better value for the buck. That's the government for you - once they get a capability to spy and micromanage a situation they just can't get enough of it. It seems to be a trend in everything they do.

Arent they worried someone will steal em ?

It would be a good idea if it worked. Still testing process. Means it is already been done.

• Like 1

I'll join with AsteroidX would be a smart idea...

• Like 1

The military and the government give me the skeeves.

Yeah, isn't it fun when one can play with OTHER people's money(taxpayer's) as opposed to one's own. :w00t:

I thought we are in serious debt.

If I acted like that without paying my bills, I'm sure I would be arrested or at least taken to court.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"The Pentagon has been quick to emphasize that the drones would not be equipped with any weapons"

I can't believe this statement above...I'm trying very hard too...but, I can't!

Edited by NiteMarcher

It would be a good idea if it worked. Still testing process. Means it is already been done.

Not so long ago I'd have disagreed with you. Think of it as a problem of mechanical devices and communications. Functional, fueled aircraft with sophisticated electronics kept in a water tight storage potentially under great atmospheric pressure for an indefinite time. Then it would have to detach on command, rise to the surface and provide a launching pad for the aircraft before it could sink again. Not so long ago I'd have thought this was pure science fiction. But after what NASA did with Curiosity I don't doubt anything they say any more about feats of engineering. Leaves me a little breathless and hoping they never decide to turn all that ingenuity against poor old me :(