Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Searching for The Krakenís Cousin:

kraken jumbo squid

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

View PostRavinoff, on 14 October 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

Any idea where they were? If they were in warmer waters, I'm thinking it might be a Magnapinna squid, possibly an unidentified species. They've spotted a few extremely long-armed bigfin squid in very deep water in the Gulf Of Mexico, and in the Pacific and Indian oceans.
Posted Image

I want some monster quests on this right now. I demand more information for this species than what currently exists 3<

Posted Image

#17    Vidgange

Vidgange

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 14 October 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Yeah but I mean you gotta consider these stories have some grain of truth to them

Oh, I do believe they got some truth in 'em! Just look at the Giant and Colossal Squid: that's a Kraken right there! But I doubt we got a squid or octopus that's as big as an island...

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose

#18    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,709 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Any idea where they were? If they were in warmer waters, I'm thinking it might be a Magnapinna squid, possibly an unidentified species. They've spotted a few extremely long-armed bigfin squid in very deep water in the Gulf Of Mexico, and in the Pacific and Indian oceans.
Posted Image

It was the Gulf of California - actually their best show in my opinion.  They put a camera on a smaller squid and it was attacked by this larger one.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#19    Ravinoff

Ravinoff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

View PostRafterman, on 15 October 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

It was the Gulf of California - actually their best show in my opinion.  They put a camera on a smaller squid and it was attacked by this larger one.

That would be right on for the location. The one I posted was spotted by the DSV Alvin in the Gulf Of Mexico, and is believed to be an adult Magnapinna specimen. We've only caught and described juveniles so far.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Bigfin_squid

#20    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

ďWhatís wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

Posted Image
If I recall I vaguely remember the sea of Cortez I could be wrong though

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#21    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostRavinoff, on 15 October 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

That would be right on for the location. The one I posted was spotted by the DSV Alvin in the Gulf Of Mexico, and is believed to be an adult Magnapinna specimen. We've only caught and described juveniles so far.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Bigfin_squid
That sounds right they do cannabalize each other

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#22    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

The Magnapinna's tentacles aren't thick enough to be the ones seen in the MonsterQuest episode (which I watched after reading this thread.)

Here's the footage:

http://youtu.be/2OcErK9E_2I?t=39m11s

Posted Image

#23    Vidgange

Vidgange

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

View PostXetan, on 15 October 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

The Magnapinna's tentacles aren't thick enough to be the ones seen in the MonsterQuest episode (which I watched after reading this thread.)

Here's the footage:

Damn! If those calculations are correct that's a true monster!!!

How big do you guys think that creature was? I imagine that MQ might have exaggerated the size a bit...?

#24    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

View PostXetan, on 15 October 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

Here's the footage:

Yeah thats the episode alright, The thing looks HUGE how big do you think it is Xetan??

#25    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:10 AM

I'm not really a squid expert, so giving an estimation would be a bit irresponsible.

But I would guess it's pretty large. Definitely something I'd like that research team, or at least another one, to try again and see what turns up. That could be a whole new species sitting down there waiting to be discovered.

Posted Image

#26    Vidgange

Vidgange

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostXetan, on 17 October 2012 - 03:10 AM, said:

I'm not really a squid expert, so giving an estimation would be a bit irresponsible.

But I would guess it's pretty large. Definitely something I'd like that research team, or at least another one, to try again and see what turns up. That could be a whole new species sitting down there waiting to be discovered.

What I don't understand is why haven't anyone mounted another expedition trying to figure out what that was?

#27    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostVidgange, on 17 October 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

What I don't understand is why haven't anyone mounted another expedition trying to figure out what that was?

I honestly have no idea. It's such a wasted opportunity. We have video evidence of something unusual being there, let's go find out what it is. Makes sense, right?

All I can come up with is that the original expedition was more expensive than it seems, and they could only afford it with the efforts of MonsterQuest's financial backers. Now that the show has its episode, they don't need to fund anything else.

Posted Image

#28    Vidgange

Vidgange

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostXetan, on 17 October 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

I honestly have no idea. It's such a wasted opportunity. We have video evidence of something unusual being there, let's go find out what it is. Makes sense, right?

All I can come up with is that the original expedition was more expensive than it seems, and they could only afford it with the efforts of MonsterQuest's financial backers. Now that the show has its episode, they don't need to fund anything else.

Any squidxpert should love to learn what that thing was! OR they already know and is wasn't anything special... =/

#29    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

View PostVidgange, on 17 October 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

Any squidxpert should love to learn what that thing was! OR they already know and is wasn't anything special... =/

I don't think it's something non-special. It's very large, so even if it was an identified species (say, Architeuthis or the colossal) we still don't know much about either of those species as we don't have very much experience with live specimens.

Posted Image

#30    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostXetan, on 17 October 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

I don't think it's something non-special. It's very large, so even if it was an identified species (say, Architeuthis or the colossal) we still don't know much about either of those species as we don't have very much experience with live specimens.

Its a sad thing is what it is, I mean wheres the sense of discovery :tu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users