Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is Islam the religion of peace?

• Please log in to reply
474 replies to this topic

#1    Alan McDougall

Alan McDougall

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

• The truth is the truth remains the truth no matter what we believe or do not believe the truth is the truth What then is the source of absolute truth?

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

Two question, both for Muslims members on the forum and those of different faiths or even Atheists are welcome to comment and contribute. .

Note this is a sensitive subject so lets keep it to the topic and avoid personal rants and insults. The Muslims in my community, are nice peaceful friendly people, so there is no need to address this thread from a negative position, stick to the truth!

I personally follow no religion dogma or belong to any organised religious mostly because I am a;'non-conformant.

1) Is Islam a religion of peace?

2) Are Muslims peaceful people because of the teaching of the Koran/Qu'ran?

You views and comments please!.

Alan

My quote, "The truth is the truth remains the truth no matter what we believe or do not believe even in total ignorance the truth is the truth!  What is absolute Truth?  What is the source of absolute truth  What is the source of life
Let the unknown become known.
We must know what we do not know (And admit it)
Regards Alan

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,945 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

Once upon a time maybe.
But now ... too many atrocities. Rather like Christianity really.
Muslims and Christians can be great and saintly people, but the collective?

#3    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,501 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

POPULAR

1. no
2.  no

Any religion that demands death for disrespecting their guru or "sacred" book is not a peaceful.   So it is not conducive for making people peaceful.   IMO

Edited by GreenmansGod, 08 June 2014 - 05:09 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#4    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 2,751 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

2x no.

"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"Don't kill the golden goose." - Malcolm McLaren -
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -
"Good drivers do have smashed insects on the side windows" - Walter Röhrl -

#5    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,982 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

What is the punishment for apostasy?

#6    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,412 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

Those I know are as peaceful and moral as any other person I have met.  Those I hear about on the news headlines, don't resemble those I personally know one little bit.

There is alot of anger in the world and alot of hate.  As soon as we figure out why people use their anger and hate to make their decisions for them, we can finally have peace, regardless of religion.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#7    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,412 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 08 June 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

Yes, I have been reading about that too, it is very sad.  It is not the same crime or punishment in all parts of the world though.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#8    TheLionsHunter

TheLionsHunter

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

• What doesn't kill you makes you stronger .

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

As a Muslim, there is a lot of misunderstandings of what peace means according to a muslim view. Of course there are some Quranic verse that viewed as hate and war against non-muslims but the fact that thoses verses are about defence strategy and they all came in the context of the attack of infidels at the time of the prophet and the consequences were a call of war against them which is portrayed lately as violence in our time.

Yeah, I am sure that my religion is a religion of peace as it is. Our dialogue always begins by "salam" which means "peace".

Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him said:

{I seek refuge in Allah from knowledge that brings no wisdom, from a heart that lacks kindness, from desires that bring discontent, and from supplications that go unanswered . }

#9    TheLionsHunter

TheLionsHunter

Psychic Spy

• 1,521 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 08 June 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

Do you have any basic knowledge of the saying of the muslim scholars ( from different madahib) about the issue of apostacy ?

{I seek refuge in Allah from knowledge that brings no wisdom, from a heart that lacks kindness, from desires that bring discontent, and from supplications that go unanswered . }

#10    karmakazi

karmakazi

Psychic Spy

• 1,041 posts

• Oh I am a giddy goat!

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

History suggests that "religion of peace" is an oxymoron (regardless of which religion it is applied to).

“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.” – Abraham Lincoln

“You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.” – Unknown

#11    XenoFish

XenoFish

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

• Haven't seen me in a while?

I've seen you just fine.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

No and No. I won't every trust another religion so long as I live on this planet. Religion like government, are breeding grounds for the power mad and corrupt.

What is the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities. An idea can change the world and rewrite all the rules.
We all are Gods and Demons-exerting the energy of will to squeeze the anarchic creativity of nature into our own image.

#12    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,501 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostTheLionsHunter, on 08 June 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

Do you have any basic knowledge of the saying of the muslim scholars ( from different madahib) about the issue of apostacy ?

Usually when people answer a question with a question it is because they are trying to deny the truth.

.[1] The majority of Muslim scholars hold to the traditional view that apostasy is punishable by death or imprisonment until repentance, at least for adult men of sound mind.
http://en.wikipedia....ostasy_in_Islam

Edited by GreenmansGod, 08 June 2014 - 08:46 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#13    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

POPULAR

No and no and sharia law has no place in the west.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#14    TheLionsHunter

TheLionsHunter

Psychic Spy

• 1,521 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

View PostGreenmansGod, on 08 June 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

Usually when people answer a question with a question it is because they are trying to deny the truth.

No, not always. when I answer by question, I was sure that you don't know the subject only from two sources "media, wikipedia" and I was right. This kind of question is to have an answer that you don't know the subject, you only hear some nioses about it.

Wikipedia is not relaible source, and it only says that "the majority of scholars " without sighting that this subject is under a debate between muslims therselves. well IN Quran there is no mention of the punishment of apostacy .

#15    TheLionsHunter

TheLionsHunter

Psychic Spy

• 1,521 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 08 June 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

No and no and sharia law has no place in the west.

sharia law is advancing in the west more than what you think, say No from your chair.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users