Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tense Town Hall Meeting

Kowalski

Daughter of Newtown Victim Confronts GOP Senator for Voting Against Gun Control Bill at Tense Town Hall Meeting, Storms Out After Response

During a town hall event in Warren, N.H. on Tuesday, the daughter of slain Sandy Hook Elementary School principal Dawn Hochsprung went after Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) for voting against expanding background checks on all firearms sales.

“You had mentioned that day the burden on owners of gun stores that the expanded background checks would cause,” Erica Lafferty said during the town hall. “I am just wondering why the burden of my mother being gunned down in the halls of her elementary school isn’t more important than that.”

“Erica, certainly let me just say that I’m obviously so sorry, and as everyone here no matter what our views are, for what you have been through,” Ayotte replied, later adding that she wants to prevent that kind of mass shooting from ever occurring again.

The GOP senator went on to say that the Sandy Hook tragedy didn’t happen because of a flawed “background check system.” She stressed the importance of addressing mental health concerns moving forward.

Ayotte also offered to speak additionally with Lafferty and said she respected her differing viewpoint on background checks.

Lafferty ultimately stormed out of the room after the interaction, according to NBC News, because she “had had enough.”

Taken from http://www.theblaze....after-response/

!

Maybe if your Mom had been packing no one would have died....Just a thought.

Background checks wouldn't have stopped what happened at Sandy Hook. That girl needs to get off her cross, use the wood from that to build a bridge, and get OVER IT.

I'm sorry, but these people really make me angry. I'm sorry you lost a loved one, but it's not the guns fault. It's the fault of the sick person who pulled the trigger.

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 7

Exactly - none of this legislation would have stopped Sandy Hook from happening.

I have to wonder if Ms. Lafferty will be showing up at town hall meetings sponsored by the Democrats who joined in a bipartisan effort to vote down the bill?

• Like 5

She is thinking all emotion and no logic

• Like 4

That's a horrible thing to say.

• Like 2

You show a complete lack of empathy for this woman who is suffering, and exhibit all of the traits of intolerance and demeaning for which Gun Lobbyists are famous. You clearly support NO background checks at all (such as at Gun Shows, Private Sales) - is that because you would never pass such checks yourself?

Murder by gun in the USA is 4 X HIGHER than in ANY other developed Nation. It is in fact 32 X HIGHER than in the UK (Deaths per 100,00)

Surely, a "Sick" person would be weeded out if proper checks were in in place??

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 2

Exactly - none of this legislation would have stopped Sandy Hook from happening.

I have to wonder if Ms. Lafferty will be showing up at town hall meetings sponsored by the Democrats who joined in a bipartisan effort to vote down the bill?

Of course you have to "wonder"....because you NRA types see Conspiracy around every corner - it fogs your minds, prevents rational thought, and having a gun in your posession makes you all think that you are Rambo - who was also feeble minded.

In reality, an extensive 2004 report by the National Academy of Science was not able to identify a single gun control regulation that actually reduces violent crime, suicides or accidents, Beck said. The NAS panel reviewed 253 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publication and some of its own empirical work on firearms.

One of the main pillars of the gun control argument is the claim that more gun laws will make Americans safer. Because the facts do not support such a claim, one would think the scales would be tipped in favor of gun rights.

A University of Pennsylvania study also determined that the 1994 "assault weapons" ban did little to reduce violence while in effect.

decade after England practically banned all firearms in 1997, crime with handguns had doubled, armed street gangs caused British police to start carry guns and the country still experienced a mass shooting. Additionally, the homicide rate rose dramatically for seven years after the ban -- from 1.1 per 100,000 to 1.8 per 100,000.

Australia also enacted strict restrictions on firearms ownership following a mass shooting in 1996. The change in gun violence was so small that it was "statically irrelevant," Beck said.

On the other hand, Switzerland has the third highest gun ownership rate in the world and a murder rate of 0.5 per 100,000. The country's murder rate is well below Australia, the U.K. and Canada while its gun laws are less strict.

more here http://news.yahoo.com/two-biggest-gun-control-myths-found-glenn-beck-053820977.html

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Best and Brightest: College Students Sign Petition to “Ban Pressure Cookers” *Video*

Not to be outdone by the hundreds of Californians who recently signed a petition to authorize a government sponsored door-to-door confiscations of firearms, college students in Miami-Dade county have stepped up in the interest of America’s safety and security to ban another hazardous weapon of mass destruction – the common kitchen pressure cooker.

You can’t make this stuff up…

Posing as a liberal activist, the petitioner makes her case by claiming pressure cookers, “were actually used in the Boston bombing, so we’re just trying to limit who can get them,” adding that her organization is, “just trying to keep people safe by reducing the number of them.”

Our best and brightest were more than happy to oblige.

Due to the recent bombings at the Boston Marathon, caused by bombs that were made with pressure cookers, we are asking that they be removed from shelves at local stores in the Miami-Dade county area.

We, the undersigned, are concerned citizens who urge our leaders to act now to ban the sale of pressure cookers in the Miami-Dade county area.

http://www.infowars.com/best-and-brightest-college-students-sign-petition-to-ban-pressure-cookers-video/

I can't believe people actually signed this! There must be too much fluoride in the water...

• Like 2

Best and Brightest: College Students Sign Petition to “Ban Pressure Cookers” *Video*

Not to be outdone by the hundreds of Californians who recently signed a petition to authorize a government sponsored door-to-door confiscations of firearms, college students in Miami-Dade county have stepped up in the interest of America’s safety and security to ban another hazardous weapon of mass destruction – the common kitchen pressure cooker.

Posing as a liberal activist, the petitioner makes her case by claiming pressure cookers, “were actually used in the Boston bombing, so we’re just trying to limit who can get them,” adding that her organization is, “just trying to keep people safe by reducing the number of them.”

Due to the recent bombings at the Boston Marathon, caused by bombs that were made with pressure cookers, we are asking that they be removed from shelves at local stores in the Miami-Dade county area.

We, the undersigned, are concerned citizens who urge our leaders to act now to ban the sale of pressure cookers in the Miami-Dade county area.

http://www.infowars....-cookers-video/

I can't believe people actually signed this! There must be too much fluoride in the water...

I would not send my kids to college in this day and age. I hope that's a joke.

• Like 1

I would not send my kids to college in this day and age. I hope that's a joke.

The petition was started as a joke. But a bunch of people actually signed this! LOL

• Like 1

lol, there some bright kids outthere with very good common sence, NOT

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

The video in the link I posted is what's really funny. It just shows her going up to them (dressed in a Obama T-Shirt, LOL) and talking to them, and they sign the petition. I'm sorry, it's just funny. Next the liberal anti gunners will be saying we need background checks for pressure cookers....

• Like 2

There are many more ways to stop mass shootings then With Gun Control. Gun control is one thing that needs to be implemented in the United States, not a gun ban. Gun control is something that just as easily means background checks so the wrong people don't get guns easily. It might in-convince you in the short term but wont effect you at all.

Of course you have to "wonder"....because you NRA types see Conspiracy around every corner - it fogs your minds, prevents rational thought, and having a gun in your posession makes you all think that you are Rambo - who was also feeble minded.

Oh LAWD! Massa can you please come save us from ourselfs?
  • Like 3

Is that how you resond to a legitimate question? If the dems also voted the bill down, will she show up at the dem functions as well?

• Like 3

The thing is we already HAVE background checks. Now, each state has different gun laws, but I'll start with Texas since I live here, and we are said to have the most lenient gun laws:

How to Buy a Gun in Texas - Handgun, Shotgun, or Rifle

There are many misconceptions out there regarding the general public and what is required to purchase a firearm in Texas. This thread will highlight what is required to be eligible to purchase a firearm in the state of Texas.

This thread is subject to errors and as such, should be verified prior to any action. I am not a
, and I am not liable for you going to jail as a result of you doing something stupid.
That being said...

C-Notes

- No Waiting Period

- No
or Transfer of Registration

- NFA OK

- FTF OK (Unless NFA)

- No Restricted Firearms or Magazine Capacities (NFA Rules Apply)

Terms:

- The form you fill out to purchase a firearm from a dealer.

NICS
- "Nicks", it is a FBI
based off of a crime database.

AOW
- Any other Weapon (Most commonly a pistol grip shotgun)

Foreward:

First off, there is no "Gun show loophole". The dealers present at the gun show are required to process a 4473 form for the transfer of the firearm. It is no different than buying from a walk-in store. There is a

It is legal to purchase, own, and possess items such as machine guns, suppressors, destructive devices, short barrel rifles, short barrel shotguns, and AOWs so long as they are legally possessed in accordance to Federal Law. For more info on how to purchase these items legally, see this FAQ:

The penal code surrounding Texas firearm possession and commerce is Chapter 46 - Weapons:

FFL Dealer (Gun Shop)

Required Items

- Texas Driver's License (Valid! Current Address, Not Expired)

- Qualification to Possess a Firearm (See Above)

- 18 Years of Age for a Long Gun (Rifle or Shotgun)

- 21 Years of Age for a Handgun or Pistol Grip Shotgun (AOW)

Once you've picked out your gun you'll be asked to fill out the 4473 form. At this time you will present your Texas driver's license so that the information can be recorded onto the 2nd page of the 4473 by the salesman. Once you've finished filling out the 4473 the salesman will then call it in for the NICS check. This is a short, routine,
call that is required to transfer the firearm from the dealer's books. At the end of the phone call the salesman will be directed one of three ways:

1.)
Proceed - Everything is good to go, and the firearm can be transferred to the purchaser.

2.)
Delayed - This is fairly common and can mean one of a million things. You might have had a similar name to someone not eligible, similar description, credit holds (lost / stolen
), etc. They even do it at random. By law, the firearm can be transferred within 3 business days (government business days) if the NICS examiner does not call back.

3.)
Denied - This occurs because you've been flagged as a possibly uneligible purchaser of the firearm. Sometimes ex-felons and people who've only recently become eligible will be denied, and they are able to challenge the denial. Generally the dealer will have paperwork outlining the process for challenging the NICS ruling.

There is no waiting period in Texas. Once you've recieved a proceed or the delayed time frame has elapsed you are free to walk out the door with your gun.

If you hold a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL) you can present that as proof that you can legally own the firearm, and a NICS check does not have to be performed. You still have to fill out the 4473 form.

Face to Face Purchase (FTF)

Face to face transactions are legal in Texas so long as it is not a Class III item such as a machine gun, suppressor, short barrel rifle, etc. Items of that nature require a tax stamp and ATF paperwork.

Texas law only mandates you to not knowingly sell a firearm to someone whom cannot legally possess the firearm. The seller is not responsible to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the eligibilty of the purchaser.

If you are from out of state it is illegal to purchase a firearm in the state of Texas from a Texas resident in a face to face transfer. This is engaging in innerstate commerce and requires an FFL (Federal Firearms License).

There are no requirements for record keeping in regards to firearms sales.

If you are unsure what the eligibility requirements are for the state of Texas please read Texas Penal Code Chapter 46 - Weapons:

Taken from

Now Connecticut Gun laws are MUCH stricter:

Connecticut is one those states in the US that doesn’t have a very gun-friendly laws. This is why guns for sale require a procedure in Connecticut. Although no permit is required to purchase a shotgun or rifle but during the sale, the buyer is required to complete the Federal form 4473 (yellow, two-page form) and State Form DPS-67-C (Application to Purchase). Most importantly, the buyer and seller will wait for two weeks before the sale or delivery of the rifle or shotgun takes place. However the waiting period and completion of application does not apply on law enforcement officers, active duty military personnel, and holders of a valid state permit to carry a handgun. In addition, holders of a valid hunting license or antique firearms do not need to wait either. The two week waiting period exists so that Special License and Firearms Unit and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms can conduct complete research on the buyer. Also in case of second sales between non-licensed dealers, no paperwork or notification is required. But it is strongly recommended that all firearms should be voluntarily registered. When the SLFU and ATF approves of the sale of the firearm for a particular buyer then the final step to complete the sale transaction process is to fill State Form DPS-3-C (Sale or Transfer) so that the firearm can be legally be delivered to the buyer.

For the sale of the handgun, a DPS-67-C and a DPS-3-C (4 copies) must be completed. Also a permit to purchase and carry a handgun is required by a person planning to buy a handgun in Connecticut.

To understand more about the procedure of sales and transfer of firearms in Connecticut, visit: http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&Q=294488&dpsNav=|

Taken from http://gunsforsale.net/gun-laws/how-to-buy-a-gun-in-connecticut/

How to get a concealed carry weapon license in Texas?

To process your application for carrying a concealed weapon, first of all you need to be at least 21 years old. You will find an online application form here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-78A.pdf

After completing the application, you need to submit the application to the Texas’s Department of Public Safety with the following things:

• Two recent color passport photographs
  • Fingerprints
  • Proof of age
  • Proof of residency in Texas
  • A handgun proficiency certificate from a competent and recognized handgun instructor
  • An affidavit stating that you have read and understood the law concerning and related to the license to carry a handgun and the laws on use of deadly force and that you fulfill all eligibility requirements
  • Authorization to access records

The Department will issue or deny your license within 60 days of receiving the completed application. If you need more information about the application, you can visit: http://www.txdps.state

.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm

Me and my husband both have a concealed carry license, by the way.

• Like 3

Is that how you resond to a legitimate question? If the dems also voted the bill down, will she show up at the dem functions as well?

Took the words right out of my mouth. It was a bi-partisan shut down of the legislation. Will she also be showing up at democratic town halls?? Doubt it.
  • Like 2

really smart. having a shootout in a classroom. do you even think about this? :no:

http://www.infowars....-cookers-video/

You ever seen the video of people signing a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide?

• Like 4

really smart. having a shootout in a classroom. do you even think about this? :no:

Yeah, the nerve of anyone who would ever want to defend themselves. They should just lie down and die like good little victims.

• Like 8

In Texas teachers who have a CCL can carry their guns on campus. Gov. Rick Perry supports this. Common sense if you ask me.

Even if there had been at least ONE armed security guard there this whole thing could have been prevented! And the idiots of Newtown don't even wanna pay for armed security for their schools! Well, if they have another school shooting and start screaming "Why" we all know why....

• Like 3

lol, sure thing, shoot out would hurt lots of kids in class, oh wait....

• Like 5

lol, sure thing, shoot out would hurt lots of kids in class, oh wait....

Don't mock him. People as far left as he is have a bonafide mental disability, and it's not funny to make fun of the mentally handicapped
  • Like 6

Don't mock him. People as far left as he is have a bonafide mental disability, and it's not funny to make fun of the mentally handicapped

lol, you may have a point there

• Like 2

She is thinking all emotion and no logic

Which, frankly, after what she has gone through with losing her mother to an atrocity like Newtown, you can't blame her.

But I still agree with you.

• Like 1