Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Women with prams

Mad Manfred

Am I the only extremely irritated by women with prams?

1 - They barge down the footpath fully expecting every living soul to make-way without the slightest hesitation. The arrogance. When I was a teenager I once played chicken with a woman with a pram...I sure had sore ankles afterwards. Those chicks don't budge, so you're literally forced off the path.

2 - Speaking of footpaths: whats with those double-prams? Those things take up the entirety of the path and force you off into the grass or gutter. Inconsiderate.

3 - They slow public transport. Firstly they have to get whatever other screaming kid they're dragging along onto the bus then they have to heft the pram onto the bus and wind up parking it in the middle of the aisle.

4 - Another thing on public transport: what's with the "you're socially r******ed if you're a man and you don't help her get her pram up the stairs" way of thinking? It's not like I forced her to choose a pram over one of those body-slings. They're much more convenient anyway.

5 - They take up too much space. They bring it into an elevator taking up the space three people could occupy, they take over the footpaths and the aisle-ways of grocery stores and public transport, they block travelators and escalators and so on.

6 - And whats with these people who stick 5-year olds in a pram? (they can walk at that age can't they?)

Prams! :angry2:

Sorry for the rant...had a bad commute this morning :hmm:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kenshinx

• tigger

• glorybebe

• goalienan

Mad manfred you are opening up a can of worms with that little rant. :lol:

2 children. Love my pram. Try lugging around a 10 kilo kid thats about how big your average 1 year old is. So still too young to walk by themselves. You NEED that pram. I dont agree with putting 5 year olds in stroller/ prams, I agree they are plenty old enough to walk by then my four year old was out of a pram by 2 and a half, mainly because I had my other daughter in the pram by then.

I dont care whether anyone helps me with my pram onto public transport. But it is appreciated if some nice person happens to offer.

leaving prams in the middle of bus aisles is pretty rude, how hard is it to fold it down and put it into the luggage area?

Not that hard.

Baby slings are a pain in the ***. They are painfull and hell on your back. And you can only use them until the kid is about 6 months old.

Double prams are good IF you have twins, if not get rid of them.

My husband is way worse than me behind the pram, trust me. He doesnt move for anyone. I, on the other hand will. If I can. But if there is room for you to move around me and none for me to move I will drive towards you. :devil:

See double buggies are a necessity sometimes, like if you have twin babies or two very young babies - you think they're a pain, you should try manovouring them, it's a nightmare.

To my knowledge, there is precious little other way to cart babies who cannot walk around.

I dunno, I never really used a stroller (or pram) ... I had one, I just don't think it ever got used. Although, I did have one of those "umbrella" strollers I used a handful of times, they fold up very small, and the seat is like a sling... I don't know if they even make them anymore. They were good for bolting across an airport when I knew we'd only have 10 minutes or so to catch a connecting flight. That's really the only time I used it.

I'm a master of traveling light with kids, and I'm even better at making sure I leave myself plenty of time to allow a tot to walk on their own. Before my kid could walk (at barely 10mths), I backpacked her. But she was a tiny tot, and she's still a tiny grown up. haha. So it was easier to bear her weight.

I kinda know what you mean MadManfred... I was shopping the other day and this woman with a Honda sized pram kept boxing me into the aisles and I was starting to get pretty annoyed. She was completely oblivious to the fact that she was inconveniencing everyone around her.

Sounds like we are lucky over here in the states.

Over here, we call prams- strollers.

Generally, there is ample space for two way traffic on walkways, in aisles in grocery store, in most shops. Most proprietors provide the space. Even on public transportation.

But I do understand your frustration. There are those who will take up the aisles for no other reason but to annoy those without a pram.

Personally, I've always been courteous while steering a stroller.

Sorry you had a bad day.

Watching Mother is correct on our double strollers here in the States...My daughter has one for her two little ones, and the only problem she encounters is entering a store without the electronic doors...Unless someone is there to hold the door open she has to do alot of manuvering...It's an easy go once inside the mall or store...

People who are inconsiderate with prams are probably inconsiderate without them too.

I had a double stroller - my kids are just 1 year, 1 week apart - there is no way I could carry around a newborn and a one year old at the same time. I had a one seat behind the other type though - never had a problem on walkways etc. Never expected anyone to help me. Never took public transportation though either - that would've been a nightmare.

never had a problem here

but I do see this behavior while Driving, people and their grocery carts while grocery shopping, and particluar persons do it no matter what... with a look on their face and a wide posture if they don't have the excuse of carrying/pushing something.

never had a problem here

but I do see this behavior while Driving, people and their grocery carts while grocery shopping, and particluar persons do it no matter what... with a look on their face and a wide posture if they don't have the excuse of carrying/pushing something.

I used a stroller with my daughter, but I always stayed to the side and made sure that other people had room to go by. What ticks me off are the people with bikes on the sidewalks and teenagers who will not move over for me and my daughter when we go for walks. I get mad and tell them to share the sidewalk. Now, that is dangerous in this day and age when teenagers attack people for little reasons, but, they always move over for me when I say something. Maybe I look too b****y, I'm not sure, but I'd love to teach the young people today to have manners. I also have issue with people visiting in the aisles while shopping. MOVE your carts over to the side! I have actually moved their carts so I could go through and one woman said "how rude" well, I blasted her with how rude SHE was for blocking the aisle. If everyone had manners, then this would be a much nicer place and I wouldn't lose my temper and say things to people, which makes me look like a cow. But, I was taught manners, and I teach my daughter manners, is it too much to expect that from other people?

The best is when I'm in a supermarket and of course go down the aisles where two people, who probably just stopped chatting on the phone, are blocking the aisles while they talk away...Totally oblivious to anyone trying to get past...That's when my Italian comes out :lol: As far as teenagers, I've seen them helping out here and there and that makes me feel good...

1 - They barge down the footpath fully expecting every living soul to make-way without the slightest hesitation. The arrogance. When I was a teenager I once played chicken with a woman with a pram...I sure had sore ankles afterwards. Those chicks don't budge, so you're literally forced off the path.

2 - Speaking of footpaths: whats with those double-prams? Those things take up the entirety of the path and force you off into the grass or gutter. Inconsiderate.

3 - They slow public transport. Firstly they have to get whatever other screaming kid they're dragging along onto the bus then they have to heft the pram onto the bus and wind up parking it in the middle of the aisle.

4 - Another thing on public transport: what's with the "you're socially r******ed if you're a man and you don't help her get her pram up the stairs" way of thinking? It's not like I forced her to choose a pram over one of those body-slings. They're much more convenient anyway.

5 - They take up too much space. They bring it into an elevator taking up the space three people could occupy, they take over the footpaths and the aisle-ways of grocery stores and public transport, they block travelators and escalators and so on.

6 - And whats with these people who stick 5-year olds in a pram? (they can walk at that age can't they?)

Im with you on this manfred, everything u said is correct plus in public places they feel the right to stop in doorways of stores fast food stores etc an expect you to wait till they are finished talking or whatever, because thier world revolves around thier little messiah, they were privliged to be blessed with an you lesser mortal had better wait, so inconsederate. and so common.

My daughter was nearly 2 when my son was born so we got a double buggy (side by side) and it was a life saver. I also had a baby carrier and found it to be more hassle than its worth...you try loading shopping into bags while leaning sideways so your centre of gravity doesn't half pull you over or make our little baby half hang out upside down!!!

I don't ever think I was a pain the the bum to any pram/stroller free people, infact I think people would have got more annoyed with me having a single buggy and a 2 year old child who had to take a rest and sit down every 5 steps we took.

Its actually quite easy to share a path with someone, just both move to opposite sides, it always worked for me- although it sounds like you encountered some particularly weird pram pushers!!!.

On the flip side, there have been times when I had to actually push my children onto the side of the road to get around a stubborn group of people.

The bottom line is for everyone to be understanding of everyone, I know pushchairs can be a pain to people who don't have them and visa versa.

i remember when i was a little tacker that on buses there were hooks on the back, so that the pram could be suspended by the handles. those were the old days..

i had one encounter with a youngish mother when i was out with my mum.. there was no way my mum could shift so this 'woman' could move thru with her super-pram, so she let loost with a tirade of profanities to my mum... (watch out) i was there and told her a few home truths, followed by my mum... and she made a hasty exit

still much better women with prams than a women who let her 5 y^o kids running,screaming around on mall / supermarket. <_<

LOL, you're a braaaaaave lady with that little rant, watch out for mothers coming to bash you now...

BUT... I bet when/if you have kids you'll see it from a whole new perspective. I certainly do.

Here's my replies, please be mindful, I'm just teasing you here... it's hard to put intonation in writing....

1) Isn't it easier for walkers to move out the way of a pram than a pram to move out of the way of a walker? I bet no-one ever really said to you 'hey get outta the way, I have a pram, I take precedence' Surely, it can't be more than 4 steps extra for you to walk round a pram.

2) Double babies = double stroller, I'm afraid.

3) Old people slow public transport down too... shall we ban them from the buses/trains too and tut and sigh at them for taking longer and offer no assistance because 'if they wanna get on the bus, let them get themselves on'? And if you have a large pram, where else ya gonna park it than the aisle?

4) Slings are really hard and they kill your back! Has anyone getting on your public transport every really demanded help from a guy to get the buggy on or was it more a case that someone kind offered assistance to a lady with a pram? I never asked for help with my babies, but got it every time I went anywhere.

5) Yes they do take up space in a elevator, maybe strollers and prams should be banned from them and the mothers can drag the buggies up the stairs instead? And we can ban really fat people too because they take up the space of three people in an elevator.

6) Do you really see 5 year olds in prams?

I used to be a pram pusher. Before that I was like you and hated them, nowadays I'm just a little bit more helpful if someone is struggling to get a pram on the bus.

I wish you a lovely happy commute tomorrow, but how about helping someone with a pram on a crowded bus who is being scorned at by commuters for taking just a little bit longer to get on the bus. I bet it would make you feel quite good, really.

Now run and hide before you get bashed up my mothers, I pointed out some stuff above but I did it tongue in cheek :P, I bet you get bashed now lol

Women with umbrellas worry me. Watch out for ya eyes !!! :D

Women with prams, what i hate the most is when your driving towards a crossing the lights are green and there is a woman waiting for the lights to change but the front two wheels of the pram are sticking over the edge of the kerb while shes nice and safe fully on the side,

still much better women with prams than a women who let her 5 y^o kids running,screaming around on mall / supermarket. <_<

you can always trip the little snot when he runs past.. then casually start whistling and walk away.. ;)

I used a stroller with my daughter, but I always stayed to the side and made sure that other people had room to go by. What ticks me off are the people with bikes on the sidewalks and teenagers who will not move over for me and my daughter when we go for walks. I get mad and tell them to share the sidewalk. Now, that is dangerous in this day and age when teenagers attack people for little reasons, but, they always move over for me when I say something. Maybe I look too b****y, I'm not sure, but I'd love to teach the young people today to have manners.

Hmm im a teenager..and as intimidating and mean as we are..most of undstand to stay out of the way of a mom with a baby..

Im sorry you've had bad experiences with my age group...where do you live btw? IM not sure ma "homies" south of the border are as considerate/cool/awesome as us canadians..

you can always trip the little snot when he runs past.. then casually start whistling and walk away.. ;)

uuhh... bad idea. his parent yell at me and i almost had a fight with this little kid's dad .. :o

so.. i just scream at them, make them run for their mom ^_^

Hmm im a teenager..and as intimidating and mean as we are..most of undstand to stay out of the way of a mom with a baby..

Im sorry you've had bad experiences with my age group...where do you live btw? IM not sure ma "homies" south of the border are as considerate/cool/awesome as us canadians..

I am Canadian, silly. Actually, you can tell the difference between the kids who actually have jobs and who just hang around the streets. The ones with jobs are polite and have manners. The ones who just hang around the streets act like they can do what ever they want. It is really sad since they are really hurting themselves by having people looking at them with negative outlooks. And they are ruining it for all the other teenagers.

The ones with jobs are polite and have manners.

not all of them . some of them are still annoying teenagers ;)

not all of them . some of them are still annoying teenagers ;)

I see you've met my friends who work at Mc'D's...if you happen to be in Abbotsford DO NO go to the one on clearbrook road..im warning you now.

Women with umbrellas worry me. Watch out for ya eyes !!! :D

tell me about it, im 6ft 2 i get stupids walking towards me and they dont attempt to move the umbrella so i push them out the way, im waiting for a come back reply, i will simply say, " you aint got any looks to look after any way" :D walking off hoping to annoy them, well that or no eye. im not going to be a pirate for any one