Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Your favorite movie monsters

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,736 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

How could I forget the "grand daddy" of them all...

KING KONG!

(never cared much for the Godzilla line of critters... So that probably makes me a bit of an oddity in this thread...oh well)..

#17    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostLiquid Gardens, on 16 January 2013 - 03:25 AM, said:

I remember checking out the TV guide in the paper every week and would check the weekend horror/creature feature listings hoping for War of the Gargantuas, it was to me the tops at the time.  In almost every other kaiju from that era it seems that there are long stretches where the monster is not in the scene, even some of the later ones also, but Gargantuas does not have that problem.  The only criticism I have is that the middle scene with Gaira vs the military is a bit long, but other than it's solid all around.  Ha, I had forgotten about that Rodan scene, that is another nightmare-inducing one.  I saw Gargantuas when I was probably way too young, maybe 5 or so, those are about the earliest repeat nightmares I recall ever having.  They didn't last long, but then my older cousins took me a few years later to see Jaws (PG my butt) and that was the end of restful sleep for another while.

War Of The Gargantuas is packed with action with a minimum of kaiju human melodrama and long stretches of dull flat dialogue. The creepiest part is when Gaira is looking up at a ship from beneath the sea.

@ around the 2 minute mark

Basically my favorite horror films largely consist of Universal classic monsters, Val Lewton films, Terence Fisher & Hammer horror, Roger Corman's Poe cycle, and Japanese kaiju. So monsters are right up my alley.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#18    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Here is a video on the making of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#19    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Any of the kaiju, but particularly Godzilla and Anguirus.

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#20    Spore

Spore

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 187 posts

• The Golden age is just a step away

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

LOL I forgot to add my favorite movie monster LOL, but anyway mine is actually Anaconda   Posted Image

Edited by Spore, 16 January 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#21    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

This one was funny as hell,...

Posted Image

Edited by Hazzard, 16 January 2013 - 11:35 PM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#22    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,462 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

I guess I don't necessarily have a favorite movie monster. I liked the monster in the movie Swamp Thing (1982)...I mean, I do recall him fondly! :lol:

One monster that made a big impression on me as a young kid was actually a giant spider. The only scene I remember is where a man is sitting on a bed in a second floor bedroom with his back to a window, and through the window you see a giant spider coming up over the sand dunes in the desert.
It must have been shortly after seeing that movie that I was in a tent and trees were all around and it was dark and the shadows from those tree trunks looked to me like giant spider legs, and so naturally, I had to spend the night outside the tent on a cot with momma. :passifier:

#23    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

View Postregi, on 17 January 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

I guess I don't necessarily have a favorite movie monster. I liked the monster in the movie Swamp Thing (1982)...I mean, I do recall him fondly! :lol:

One monster that made a big impression on me as a young kid was actually a giant spider. The only scene I remember is where a man is sitting on a bed in a second floor bedroom with his back to a window, and through the window you see a giant spider coming up over the sand dunes in the desert.
It must have been shortly after seeing that movie that I was in a tent and trees were all around and it was dark and the shadows from those tree trunks looked to me like giant spider legs, and so naturally, I had to spend the night outside the tent on a cot with momma. :passifier:

Wes Craven's Swamp Thing is tons of b-movie fun. More camp than horror.

And that giant spider movie is the 1955 creature feature, Tarantula. It destroys a whole mansion.

#24    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,928 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

The Pale Man, from Pan's Labyrinth. Unfortunately the character is only on screen for 5 minutes but they were five awesome minutes.

Edited by Paranoid Android, 18 January 2013 - 12:04 AM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#25    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,462 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostB Jenkins, on 17 January 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

And that giant spider movie is the 1955 creature feature, Tarantula. It destroys a whole mansion.

Yeah, that's the movie. And thanks for the info. I was able to find it online and I watched it again, and that one scene isn't exactly how I remembered it. I never saw any sand dunes that I thought I remembered so vividly, and by the time of that one scene, the spider is already upon the house. :whistle:
Oddly, I recognized the man's pajama's (striped), and I'd already remembered that I thought the man resembled Gene Rayburn (I still think he did!), but I'm stunned that I didn't recall- before I saw it again- the scene where the spider actually peers through window! Yikes!
Anyway, good movie. :tu:

#26    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

View Postregi, on 18 January 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Yeah, that's the movie. And thanks for the info. I was able to find it online and I watched it again, and that one scene isn't exactly how I remembered it. I never saw any sand dunes that I thought I remembered so vividly, and by the time of that one scene, the spider is already upon the house. :whistle:
Oddly, I recognized the man's pajama's (striped), and I'd already remembered that I thought the man resembled Gene Rayburn (I still think he did!), but I'm stunned that I didn't recall- before I saw it again- the scene where the spider actually peers through window! Yikes!
Anyway, good movie. :tu:

It is a good movie. :tu:

The popularity of the giant ant movie THEM! led to a whole new subgenre of knockoffs in American cinema and Tarantula stand atop of all them alone.

#27    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 18 January 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

The Pale Man, from Pan's Labyrinth. Unfortunately the character is only on screen for 5 minutes but they were five awesome minutes.

Right enough that was an impressive beastie! That whole scene is teriffic!

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#28    Raven_Tear

Raven_Tear

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

• Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

If Michael Myers counts as a "movie monster" then he's my fave. Meticulous, creepy, silent, plus his mask (the original, not the horrible one from Halloween 4 and beyond), is downright scary.

#29    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

The creatures from Pitch Black and the aliens from Skyline are some of my favorites

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#30    MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

My favorite movie monster is the Stay-Puff Marshmellow Man from the 80's movie GhostBusters!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users