Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged] Did Easter Island statues 'walk' ?

easter island moai

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,009 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

A new theory suggests that the giant stone heads might have been 'walked' upright along the roads.

Fox News said:

The startling claim comes from archaeologists Terry Hunt of the University of Hawaii and Carl Lipo of California State University Long Beach, who showed how as few as 18 people could move a 5-ton statue with just some ropes and hopes.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

I didn't even click on the link (yet) to read the article, but I already read that theory in a book, some 30 years ago.

#3    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,462 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

View PostSaru, on 22 June 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

A new theory suggests that the giant stone heads might have been 'walked' upright along the roads.
  Here we go again, was there any roads on Easter Island ?, when the statues were put there.They all seem to be on a hillside with not a road in sight..

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#4    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 22 June 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

I didn't even click on the link (yet) to read the article, but I already read that theory in a book, some 30 years ago.

Here it is:

The Mysteries of Easter Island - Jean Michel Schwartz / 1975, chapter 6: "Transporting the Statues".

Edited by Abramelin, 22 June 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#5    debmedia

debmedia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

may be in dream. or I read a mythology many years back where I read about a stone which have life in it. I just forget in which story I get that.

Like Me? No? Dislike me? Whatever. I am a human. And "I Born to give this World something, without any hope to get something in return". Now you Like me? anyway, contact me at debmedia@gmail.com. I am here to get knowledge and share knowledge. East or West, True Knowledge is the best. MUST.....True Knowledge. Remind That. Take care.

#6    SunGod

SunGod

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

'Miracle' is the obsolete  word for scientific village, island of fanatic world.
     They did and we couldn't understand how they did it. How bad ?

"ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free. " Jesus ( Gamachi'sa)
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."  Albert Einstein.

#7    jbondo

jbondo

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 22 June 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

Here we go again, was there any roads on Easter Island ?, when the statues were put there.They all seem to be on a hillside with not a road in sight..

What you fail to realize is over the years the statues have been buried by buildup of dirt and sand. If you took the island coast down to the level it was when they were placed there, you might find remnants of roads.

#8    constantine_337

constantine_337

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 196 posts

• Love is the law of the universe. Hatred is a disease that kills nations.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

This seems to be the most practical theory yet. Others theories such as the sled would be plausible until you place the Maui near the coast because the men pulling the sleds would have no where to stand. The rope theory works on multiple levels. You could walk the Maui to the coast without having people in the ocean and it also explains how they turned the Maui to face the island because when they moved them from the quarry they would face the ocean but they had to turn it to face the island.

Posted Image

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.

#9    HMS Dreadnought

HMS Dreadnought

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

It certainly seems the most plausible theory I've read anyway.

Dear you guys. Words cannot express how much I hate you guys. As we fight our way northward into the great unknown, only that one thing remains certain: that I hate you guys with every tired muscle in my confederate body. We have taken Topeka and I must rally the men onward to Missouri. Because I will not stop until we have won it all, and you guys are my slaves. Because I hate you guys. I hate you guys so very very much. Yours, General Cartman Lee.

#10    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,976 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

Great, after feeling like a fool after finding out the the heads had bodies (which was old news too many) I again feel a fool that I did not know this 'old news'.

Well the only thing I do remember about these heads was the myth that if you walked through their shadows you would die later that day. Can somebody please tell me if this was a true myth (as in people believed it not that it actually happened!!) or just something my father made up to scare me?

And before this becomes a thread full of 'oh this is old news', it may be old news to some but it is new news to those who did not know (like dumb-ass here).

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#11    cladking

cladking

Telekinetic

• 7,688 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:29 PM

As time goes by we're probably going to find most of the ancient reports are exactly right.

However, I'm not totally convinced in this particular case.  After seeing a 5 ton statue take a few steps it certainly becomes possible.  With lots of practice people could get good at this.  In the meantime standing them back ofn their feet will prove a chore.  

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#12    BrokenKey

BrokenKey

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

• Google is not how to research something - not sure how the education system has failed so many.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

Walk?  Yes.  Dance?  No.

#13    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:09 AM

i dont like this theory

#14    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,734 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:43 AM

It seems plausible to me. Even I can easily move a 200 pound co2 cylinder by rolling it on the edges. The tricks of the trade are often lost over the years due to new technology and it's a sad thing.

#15    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Seems feasible enough but then I also like Talking Heads

Also tagged with easter island, moai