Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Curiosity's New Home

mars curiosity mars science laboratory rover nasa

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,108 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostIron_Lotus, on 10 August 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

people can say mars is boring but i think theres something oddly beautiful about the martian landscape

Buzz Aldrin's description of the moon is, in my opinion, also appropriate for Mars,

Magnificent desolation.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#17    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,824 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

If life is found on Mars, will it be possible to keep it alive and study it.

#18    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,108 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 10 August 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

If life is found on Mars, will it be possible to keep it alive and study it.

I suspect so.

Bringing back alien micro-organisms to earth is likely to cause all sorts of problems though. There will be a huge number of protests and predictions of alien diseases leading to the end of mankind.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#19    TruthSeeker-Daniel

TruthSeeker-Daniel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• Surely some revelation is at hand.....
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches toward Bethlehem to be born ?

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:00 AM

If at some future time, we colonize Mars AND try to terraform it, HOW do we jump - start the planet's magnetic field ? Terraforming Mars without a magnetic field seems like trying to bail the water from the Titanic with a mop & bucket.

#20    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,070 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostIron_Lotus, on 10 August 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

*facepalm* my brain hurts waspie.

also amazing photos people can say mars is boring but i think theres something oddly beautiful about the martian landscape

The only reason people say Mars is boring is because their expectations are too high, meaning: they want ruines and skeletons, and all that. Things like a Hoagland is spreading all over the internet.

#21    Tx-Perkyness

Tx-Perkyness

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

• "Meaning of life an love" simply how you go about it an what/whom you can't live a day without

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

No they want fresh green grass an a beach with lovely blue water as the sun sets,  ...ruins an skeletons are a bonus,

#22    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,232 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

does anyone remember when scientists found plumes of methane in the martian atmosphere, and they said its either bilogical or geological. but not sure. the plumes of methane seem to increase in the summer months on mars. well does anyone know if Gale crater is located in one of the areas were the methane was present? and if it is will curiosity be able to detect it etc...

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#23    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,851 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

We had a guy here, don't know if he's still around, who used to insist that Mars is a green lush planet with oceans and forests, etc. and ALL the rover pics and satellite maps are fakes.  CGI or shot in the Arizona desert somewhere.

I've never understood the purpose of such a bizarre and over-the-top conspiracy.  Getting a bunch of either actors or NASA personnel who know otherwise, to pretend they were celebrating landing Curiosity on Mars and film them and have it broadcast on the news.  Generating hundreds of thousands of pictures of satellites pics mapping Mars to insane detail (<0.5m resolution in some MRO pics).  Faking pics from other satellites that overlap and agree with each other.  Getting the ESA in on NASA's act and having them take satellite photos that also overlap and look the same (but subtly different and at a different resolution to make it seem like it was from a different orbiter with a different camera taking pictures at different times than NASA).  Launching actual rockets from Cape Canaveral to pretend it's got a Mars orbiter or rover on board.  Having NASA engineers and scientists (or actors pretending to be engineers and scientists) be interviewed by BBC and lie on camera to make that documentary about the Mars Science Laboratory I saw couple of weeks ago.  Arranging with educational institutions like Arizona State University and their astronomy department to help process and host online the faked pics and with Caltech to have them managed the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.  Fake some landers or orbiters that failed their missions.  Make it look like they are struggling to maintain their budget from year to year (the conspiracy heads tell us that NASA basically has an unlimited black budget) . Putting up all those videos and interviews for the media on their website about rovers landing on a cold desert planet looking for signs of life, when it's really a warm luscious planet teeming with life.  Faking all that info and data about temperature, rocks, soil, atmosphere, climate, etc. to make it look like it's cold, desert, rocky, thin atmosphere, has some but hardly any water, etc. I could go on.... but seriously.  An enormous bizarre conspiracy to hide civilization or life on Mars for what purpose?

It'd be less hassle to just actually put damn orbiters and rovers on Mars and show us the 'truth'.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#24    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,656 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 13 August 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

does anyone remember when scientists found plumes of methane in the martian atmosphere, and they said its either bilogical or geological. but not sure. the plumes of methane seem to increase in the summer months on mars. well does anyone know if Gale crater is located in one of the areas were the methane was present? and if it is will curiosity be able to detect it etc...
THats right stevewinn ! just under the surface is massive rivers,and my little monkey and I found that its quite nice in UnderMArs ! ! ITs those pesky Aliens that come to mine with there slaves that are sketchy !

This is a Work in Progress!

#25    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

I was born just before the end of World War II.  Since then, I've seen so many "impossible" things happen - the sound barrier broken, satellites and later man in orbit, man on the moon, every planet* and some moons photographed from within a reasonable distance, Voyagers 1 and 2 plus Pioneers 10 and 11 at or beyond the limits of our solar system (Waspie, please correct me on that if I'm in error.) and exploration of our neighbor, Mars.  Curiosity is, to me, a marvel in a long line of marvels and the photos being sent back are breathtaking.  It is one more piece of science fiction becoming science fact and I'm lovin' it.

* except Pluto and we're getting there.

Edited by Kludge808, 16 August 2012 - 06:50 AM.

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

#26    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,484 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

View PostKludge808, on 16 August 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

* except Pluto and we're getting there.

New Horizon is getting there.... should be very interesting.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#27    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

View PostDBunker, on 16 August 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

New Horizon is getting there.... should be very interesting.

Yep, that's the craft's name.  I couldn't remember it.  Thanks. :tu: :tu:

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

#28    goodgodno

goodgodno

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

• Explore. Dream. Discover.

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:51 PM

I love the fact they've already identified clay deposits (possibly basins).  This already implies that mars had surface water at some point in its history.

#29    Kirbstone

Kirbstone

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• Carpe Diem! Seize the Day!

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:20 AM

At the top left of one of the pics. taken by an earlier lander the golden arms of the local McDonald's could be seen peeping over the horizon.   You can imagine just how surprised I was when half-way through my triple burger I spied the skycrane drop this Monster rover and fly off in a random direction to crash into the sand not a mile away.

Whew! that was close!.  Mind you, the thing hasn't moved much since and it doesn't look like it'll pay this burger bar a visit anytime soon.  We get our water for the coffee & the washing up from deep underground, of course!.

Sorry this report is eight minutes late...It's the distance, y'know.

#30    goodgodno

goodgodno

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

• Explore. Dream. Discover.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostKirbstone, on 19 August 2012 - 02:20 AM, said:

At the top left of one of the pics. taken by an earlier lander the golden arms of the local McDonald's could be seen peeping over the horizon.   You can imagine just how surprised I was when half-way through my triple burger I spied the skycrane drop this Monster rover and fly off in a random direction to crash into the sand not a mile away.

Whew! that was close!.  Mind you, the thing hasn't moved much since and it doesn't look like it'll pay this burger bar a visit anytime soon.  We get our water for the coffee & the washing up from deep underground, of course!.

Sorry this report is eight minutes late...It's the distance, y'know.

Hi Kirbstone, were you responding to my post?

Edited by goodgodno, 19 August 2012 - 01:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users