Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Iran massing troops on Iraq border

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 16 June 2004 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (joc @ Jun 16 2004, 05:49 AM)
You resolve....one way or the other....to take out all of the nests and destroy completely the threat.

thank-you

So joc, should we nuke them now, or later?

joc, I love your analogies...you make things so simple to understand...

...unfortunately...

For every problem, there is one solution which is simple, neat and wrong.
Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)  

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#17    Naveed

Naveed

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (Talon S. @ Jun 16 2004, 01:34 AM)
If they do move against Iraq is gives the US the perfect opertunity to attack Iran, take out another member of the Axis of evil, without being blamed for invading without provication  grin2.gif .

Although more likely due to the anti-war sentiment, the US will sit back and let Iran absorb Iraq. Dear god, thats all we need, an even larger Iran.

I think the U.S. will probably turn against itself eventually within the next 20 years. Friggin media doesn't know when to shut up so each war becomes another Vietnam. Thats why we have all the anti-war sentiment. What happened to the days when people were patriotic, like in WWII? Or even WWI?  

Attached Files

#18    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,719 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 17 June 2004 - 02:20 AM

So joc, should we nuke them now, or later?

joc, I love your analogies...you make things so simple to understand...

...unfortunately...

I am not advocating nuking anyone.  I am simply saying that you cannot take out Saddam only and expect the other threats to just go away.  

To analogize yet again:  Nuking anyone over there would be equivalent to eradicating  the wasp nest with a stick of dynamite. w00t.gif

For every problem, there is one solution which is simple, neat and wrong.
Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

This quote is actually very true.   Too many people have the simple, neat and ultimately wrong idea about the war on terror.....TALK TO THEM...SHOW THEM WE CARE AND ARE UNDERSTANDING....NEGOTIATE A PEACE SETTLEMENT........

Again, I will reitertate:  You are a very intelligent guy Fluffybunny.  But you are just flat out wrong about the war in Iraq and about President Bush.  No matter how I try to paint the correct picture for you,  you just have this amazing ability to gloss right over the points somehow.  Oh well....perhaps we should just agree to disagree.   In the end we will get old and die.    But in the meantime..............

.....as Earl Pitts American would say........

WAKE UP AMERICA!

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#19    Stamford

Stamford

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

• Here's to better days

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:21 AM

No matter how I try to paint the correct picture for you, you just have this amazing ability to gloss right over the points somehow.

Maybe joc, we have trouble seeing this rosy image of Iraq because the facts speak louder than your patriotic flag waving.

Right now Coalition soldiers have pulled out of towns under cease fire agreements with terrorists, there have been assisinations of Iraq ploiticians, car bombings happening every day in Baghdad, kidnapping of Western workers, massacres of Iraqi security services, hospitals running out of medicine, oil pipes being destroyed and the streets of the Capital are overflowing with sewerage and you want to start another war with Iran?

Not content with the mess we will be leaving behind us, you now want to repeat this folly there.

May I remind you, joc, that Iran hasn't been crippled by the kinds of sanctions that had Iraq on the ropes before the first shot of the war was fired.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near."

Jim Morrison

"When you laugh about people, so very, very lonely their only desire is to die, well I'm afraid it doesn't make me smile. I wish I could laugh. But that joke isn't funny anymore, it's too close to home and it's too near the bone... "

The Smiths

#20    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 17 June 2004 - 10:01 AM

Right on stamford and fluffybunny.

You keep goin on about our liberal media.

So joc which newspaper, and stations are liberal over here , do tell me please.

The staunchest right wing media here is among the most critical of the war.

As for Iran well what the hell did we expect would happen when we weakened iraq lol.

That we'd pull pull out and all the countries around it would just forget about about the past.

Ok joc i know your not to great with the past so i'll highlight it for you.

We funded Iraq and armed them in a decade long war with Iran,

with our weapons husseign committed countless atrocities against the iranian people.

But tehre you go lets just forget about that........now wheres my rose coloured specs.

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#21    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,719 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 17 June 2004 - 11:50 AM

If we leave Iraq and it devolves into what it was before we liberated them, well in my opinion it was all a failure at that point. Right now it is too early to put a checkmark in the win column, sorry. Just getting saddam out is great, but there are several just like him waiting to take his place, and unless we have long term positive results in Iraq, the whole mission would be a failure

ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS:

Fluffybunny and joc are in agreement once again!! thumbsup.gif  w00t.gif

So joc which newspaper, and stations are liberal over here , do tell me please.

The staunchest right wing media here is among the most critical of the war.

Then I can only conclude that they all are!!  

Maybe joc, we have trouble seeing this rosy image of Iraq because the facts speak louder than your patriotic flag waving.

To highlight the negative facts and completely ignore the positive facts creates an impression of things which is not accurate.  No one said the image was rosy.  That is your quote not mine. wink2.gif  

Edited by joc, 17 June 2004 - 11:55 AM.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#22    Fenris

Fenris

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

• most grimley fiendish wabbithunting elfieblush making member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Posted 17 June 2004 - 11:58 AM

Don't count your chickens just yet joc..... as I've a feeling that Fluffy may have an entirely diffrent definition of what constitutes "long term positive results in Iraq" than you do.

For instance I suspect his definition includes true democracy for the Iraqies, even if they choose a government that is activly opposed to American interests! tongue.gif  

In the dead of night
A shimmewin' wight
Gweem of a bwade
And dah devew was paid
When dah axe comes down
A chiwin' sound
Steel hits da head
Anothaw wabbit's dead
I'm a wabbit swayer
A guitaw pwayaw
With a nasty habbit

Kill dah wabbit!!! (hah hah hah)
AhhhaahooOhhh

I'm a mean mistweetah
A wabbit feastah
And I pwedict
A bwoody Eastaw
A scuwowing shadow
And dah shadow was dis wabbit
And dah night air echoes
Kill dah wabbit!!!
Kill dah wabbit!!!

#23    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 17 June 2004 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (joc @ Jun 17 2004, 04:50 AM)
To highlight the negative facts and completely ignore the positive facts creates an impression of things which is not accurate.

Everyone sing along....

You've got to Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive ..eliminate the negative...

tongue.gif

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#24    Stamford

Stamford

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

• Here's to better days

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:27 AM

To highlight the negative facts and completely ignore the positive facts creates an impression of things which is not accurate. No one said the image was rosy.

I probably shouldn't mention the 35 people killed in a suicide bombing in Baghdad yesterday then?

Bit too negative.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near."

Jim Morrison

"When you laugh about people, so very, very lonely their only desire is to die, well I'm afraid it doesn't make me smile. I wish I could laugh. But that joke isn't funny anymore, it's too close to home and it's too near the bone... "

The Smiths

#25    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:25 AM

I probably shouldn't mention the 35 people killed in a suicide bombing in Baghdad yesterday then?

you should mention it, however you should also mention the positive stuff that is happening:)

that said, during this war, we have seen less deaths than those directly attributed to Saddam over a similar period, in non-war time, thats not counting all the people who got screwed over because of the UN sanctions that did nothing because of Saddams abuse of the Oil for castles program:)

#26    Fenris

Fenris

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

• most grimley fiendish wabbithunting elfieblush making member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Posted 18 June 2004 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (bathory @ Jun 18 2004, 11:25 AM)

that said, during this war, we have seen less deaths than those directly attributed to Saddam over a similar period, in non-war time

Those deaths wheren't, in the main happening to the 'average Iraqi' but rather to minority groups such as the Kurds. Your statement doesn't change the fact that for the average Iraqi citizen life is more dangerous and less stable than prior to the war, which is where a lot of the resentment is comming from!

In the dead of night
A shimmewin' wight
Gweem of a bwade
And dah devew was paid
When dah axe comes down
A chiwin' sound
Steel hits da head
Anothaw wabbit's dead
I'm a wabbit swayer
A guitaw pwayaw
With a nasty habbit

Kill dah wabbit!!! (hah hah hah)