Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

MEG

saladins follower

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• draconic chronicler

• Paulwhale

• indeed

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whats a MEG ?
Megalodon.

Megalodon was an ancient shark that may have been 40 feet (12 m) long or even more. (There are a few scientists who estimate that it could have been up to 50 or 100 feet (15.5 or 31 m) long!)
Source

google Megalodon

Source

google Megalodon

ooohhhh...

hm, i dont think they would be anymore, they'd have evolved smaller due to the change of there prey.

there prey becoming smaller for some reason, like fishies.

I think the Megalodon died just like all the other dinosaurs. (However that may be)

Actually, there have been recent 'sightings'. It could still lurk in the depths of the ocean....

megalodon only apparently went extinct maybe even less then 10,000 years ago, so im sure theres a chance it could exist just maybe in smaller numbers

they could have found new places to adapt to, like some parts of the deep are warm, the crust heats these parts, like the marina trench, the meg was warm blooded like the great white and the mako, so it could live under these conditions...

ya and who knows what lives way down there, im sure meg could have adapted to the pressure due to its large size im sure

There may be a few hiding out still, but their ecological niche may have been taken by the now, world's largest toothed marine carnivore, the sperm whale.

well if megalodon still lived till 10,000 years ago atleast im sure they would already have been living beside sperm whales, maybe even they hunted each other down till megalodons came extinct who really knows..

but can you just imagine the sheer beastliness of this thing, a great white, only 40-60 feet, 12 inch teeth, it can extend its jaw up to 10 feet... :no: stuff nightmares are made out. alpha dog of the waters

megalodon only apparently went extinct maybe even less then 10,000 years ago, so im sure theres a chance it could exist just maybe in smaller numbers

Yeah, considering how old the Earth is, 10 000 years is nothing.

I'm pretty sure I recall what might have been a pretty reliable sighting in Australia in the past ten years, I'll try to see if I can look it up.

Can anyone rember awhile back, there was a large Great White caught in nets which had been bitten in half by something larger ?

From memory they estimated that whatever this other shark was would have to of been over 30/40 feet long :o

I tried doing a google but all I found was shark attacks on people :(

That probably was a larger shark then, as Sperm whales have swallowed fairly large sharks whole, but with only one row of teeth in their bottom jaw, they could not bite a shark in half. There is no reason to doubt that a really large, normal great white shark could reach nearly 40 feet. There are a few rare giants of most lifeforms. From the only surviving remains of "MEGS", their teeth, they seem to be virtually the same shark as the Great White. The only reason there has been truly giant marine predators, was to eat the giant squid. You had the gigantic shonisaurus in that role originally, with dinosaur and marine reptile extinction, the Meg shark may have taken that role until the superior Sperm Whale appeared on the scene. Megs may not have died out, they just grew smaller as their prey changed once the sperm whales took over as the supreme squid hunters.

I believe that the Meg died off many years ago. At first I thought that this thread was about food chemicals! Wait maybe I'm thinking of MSG. But gettting back to the topic at hand, I don't think that the Meg could last and I doubt that we have the food sources that it would need to surivive today.

That's plain silly, warm blooded whales eat far more food than sharks of the same size. Cousteau said the surviving sperm whales consume a biomass in marine oganisms each year eviqualent to the entire human race! It just shows you how much "life" is still in the ocean despite human depredations.

You could probably get an good idea how accurate that is by calculating the known amount of food a killer whale in captivitiy eats daily, scaling it up to the size/weight of a sperm whale, and then multiplying it by the number of sperm whales believed to be inhabiting the oceans. But it is a well established fact that cold blooded animals require far less food than warm blooded animals of the same size. This is not to say that a huge shark couldn't eat an amazingly huge meal, but unlike a whale, the shark could go much longer without food.

So what this means is, our oceans could reasonably support a decent sized population of big sharks. And since they don't need air, therefore have no reason to surface, and most likely live way down in the dark, we may never find one.

the meg was the cousin of the great white, and the mako... which are both warm blooded sharks,sheesh havent u read the first page <_<

Some cold blooded animals like sharks have the ability to raise their body temperatures slighlty higher than the surrounding water temperature, but it is nothing like the heat produced by warm blooded animals. If sharks were true endotherms/warm bloods they would have layers of blubber and/or fur or feathers, to insulate their bodies to retain that heat. They are only a bit warmer due to a kind of "friction" created by their constantly moving bodies. I believe any aquarium attendant could confirm that between a "warm" shark and porpoise/whale of the same weight, the mammal must be fed far more because of its much higher metabolic rate. Sharks also have a very slow rate of digestion as indicated by the famous incident of the remarkably intact human arm regurgitated by an aquarium shark. If it had been swallowed by an orca, the flesh would have been gone in a matter of a few hours.

But all of this actually speaks in favor of the existence of the Meg, for those who question it on the grounds of there being "not enough food in the ocean". I merely question it because the sperm whale is a more intelligent and efficient top order marine predator in the deep ocean, and in most environments there is only one "top" animal and the competitors go extinct.

So what this means is, our oceans could reasonably support a decent sized population of big sharks. And since they don't need air, therefore have no reason to surface, and most likely live way down in the dark, we may never find one.

Also because sharks have no swim bladder a dead shark would never be found since it would never surface or wash up.... its almost enough to stop me from scuba diving but not quite enough

Megalodon.

Source

google Megalodon

OMG, there is no proof on meg larger than 14 meters long, and wqe discussed this on crypto forum, sharks only seem more scary, while there is an animal that should be feared much more than shark, sperm whale (sorry about that), cause it is way more powerful than any megalodon ever existed, why people want to talk about meg? largest and most powerful toothed creature ever existed is sperm whale (not including man). As draconic chrinicler pointed out very good, there are people that survived shark attacks, but it is VERY unlikely that a human survives sperm whale attack, if such occurs.

what about food source for meg? ocean now is as abundant with food as it was then.

you mean that the deeper we go, the bigger sharks we may find Silent BOB?

Edited by Paulwhale

CAN you verify that info

OMG, do you now ANYTHING about endothermy or ecdothermy at all?

I will not explain to you why warm-blooded creatures have to consume WAY more food than cold-blooded.