Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars Closest to Earth .... ever!

Nancy

If you have a chance this Summer? Take a peek at this web site and get ready for a SPECIAL Treat!!!

Enjoy! Here is a little tease from the article thumbsup.gif

Nancy yes.gif

This summer Mars will come closer to Earth than at any time in tens of thousands of years. The planet will arrive at opposition to the Sun on Aug. 28, when it will rise at sunset and set at sunrise, as seen from Earth. This opposition occurs less than two days before Mars passes through the perihelion point of its orbit, when it is closest to the Sun.

Mars Excitement August 2005!

Edited by Nancy

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nancy

• seeking

• Murdison

• __Kratos__

i thought mars was closest to earth like a year and a half ago

its just odd, because i thought it was the closes mars would be to earth for like 250 years or something, not 18 months

So does this mean with Mars being so close to the Earth that with the gravitational pull at its greatest, we here on Earth will be effected..?

To bad on Aug. 28 my bedtime will be roughly 9:00 - 9:30... sad.gif

Stupid basic combat training... tongue.gif

Edit: Explained why, so I didn't look like an idiot.

Edited by __Kratos__

Sighhhhhh.....

There are times when being old and blonde come back to bite me.

MY deepest apologies! "seeking" is 100% correct.........

If I could learn to read, I would have noted the Space.com is dated June 13, 2003.

Argggggggggggg!!!! It wasn't my intent to mislead, honest!!!!

blush.gifblush.gifw00t.gif

dang lol, that sucks, i wish mars was commin back around, oh well honest mistake thumbsup.gif

and to dunderhead, mars would not effect earth in anyway

This should shed some more light on the subject.

Snopes

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys,

FYI. Yes, Mars is getting closer to Earth at about 23,500 mph. It will be at the closest point of this year on October 31 2005.

For those of you saying that Mars will be closest in August in 60,000 yrs, I'm sorry but that was in 2003. This year it will be closest in October, its gonna be a great sight, but no records.

This is happening because the Earth is lapping the Mars, just like in a car race.

:-)

Varun

So does this mean with Mars being so close to the Earth that with the gravitational pull at its greatest, we here on Earth will be effected..?

674062[/snapback]

Extremely doubtful. Mars is too small to exact any kind of noticeable change. I'm sure there would be some effect, but most likely undetectable.

I read the article and it was interesting, however, the stunning performance of Mars being close to us in August 2005 isn't true. The article was written June 2003. This already happened! original.gif Unless you intend to go into the past, don't expect to see Mars up close and personal this August.

if mars was as close as the moon, then we'd really have something to worry about.

699586[/snapback]

Exactly. Mars is much, much farther away than the moon. Its effect on earth is totally overwhelmed by the moon's gravity. The sun is also far away but it's so huge that its gravity strongly affects us. Mars will never get close enough to have even a measurable gravity affect on us unless it or earth leave orbit and head for each other.