Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A Few Rare People Hallucinate Musical Scores

hallucinate musical notes voices text oliver sacks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,590 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

Hallucinatory illnesses come in many forms. Some hear voices in their heads, others see small people, threatening insects or bold colors that don’t exist. Still others, it turns out, hallucinate in musical notes. Neurologist and best-selling author Oliver Sacks describes the phenomenon in a new paper published in the journal Brain.

More than a quarter of patients who suffer from hallucinations manifest those visions as “text hallucinations,” Sacks writes. This could include seeing lines of print, letters, numbers, musical notes or other notations. Musical notes seems to be the rarest form of this type of hallucination.

http://blogs.smithso...musical-scores/

Posted Image

#2    notforgotten

notforgotten

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

• The educated lie can be the most deceiving...gullible people believe them without question.

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

I question whether any of it is an hullucination at all. I think "hallucintory illness" is just a title that doctors put on something that they don't understand. Just because other people can't experience the same thing, IMO doesn't mean it's not real.

#3    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,334 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

I'm working my way through his book now. He seems to specifically address hallucinations that are caused by rare medical conditions that are pretty well documented.

#4    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:05 AM

Oliver Sacks has a lot of interesting stories about the subject. I heard his interview from November 5th, 2012 (on the "Point Of Inquiry" podcast).

#5    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

View Postnotforgotten, on 06 April 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

I question whether any of it is an hullucination at all. I think "hallucintory illness" is just a title that doctors put on something that they don't understand. Just because other people can't experience the same thing, IMO doesn't mean it's not real.
So you mean like the person that has the hallucinations brains working at a higher function than people that dont have hallucination? But its still considered odd thats why doctors call it an illness?

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users