Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Armless man refused visa as no fingerprints

seeder

Gotta love bureaucracy haven't you? So - an armless artist wants to visit the UK, but as he cant offer fingerprints...the computer says NO!

Give me a break pleeeaase!! And even if they do give him a visa - the next issue will be a lack of signature...

Armless artist Karipbek Kuyukov 'denied entry' to UK

A Kazakh artist who was born without arms says that he could not get permission to enter the UK last month because he could not give fingerprints. Karipbek Kuyukov planned to attend an anti-nuclear conference in Edinburgh.

But he got a letter from the British Consulate in Istanbul saying his "biometrics were of poor quality" and asking him to resubmit his application.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22428923

jobs-worths eh?

• Like 4

He has foot prints,and iris identification ,which are just as individual as finger prints . That's messed up

• Like 7

Maybe he could give them a toe print. I mean, come on if your born with out arms isn't there a back up plan.

• Like 3

Perhaps as an armless artist he paints with his feet or mouth, in either case, (if he paints) he may be able to do something like a signature. People who use their legs in place of arms can do some amazing things

• Like 1

The only time I've had to give anyone fingerprints was when I was arrested. Never for a passport! I guess the person who was processing the request wasn't very thorough.

Edited by Murk

He has foot prints,and iris identification ,which are just as individual as finger prints . That's messed up

And DNA of course ;)

Perhaps as an armless artist he paints with his feet or mouth, in either case, (if he paints) he may be able to do something like a signature. People who use their legs in place of arms can do some amazing things

DJ Pascal Kleiman

Guy is a legend. :tu:

• Like 1

and another:

Armless man fixes cellphones, shoots guns, does woodwork, and uses a machete to chop what looks like coconuts!!

(Not in English but you can see what he does)

• Like 1

Incredible that one. That's proper adaption. It's great knowing that they can live a good life. :tu:

• Like 1

If his biometrics were of poor quality, that means that he does have alternatives to fingerprints, but whatever was provided by the government in Istanbul was not clear enough for the UK government to deem it acceptable. The article further states that his visa was not refused, so I don't know how such an extra-ordinary leap to him being refused a visa was made.

If anything, the UK government should realise that not every country is going to have 21st century up-to-the-moment technology to provide clear biometrics to other countries when necessary, as in this case.

• Like 1

I heard the real reason he was refused a visa is cos he has previous for trying to bring arms into the country!

Allegedly.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 6

DJ Pascal Kleiman

Guy is a legend. :tu:

It's amazing how dexterous he is with his feet. Like how he pulled the cd out of the rest of the CDs in the drawer.

• Like 3

It's amazing how dexterous he is with his feet. Like how he pulled the cd out of the rest of the CDs in the drawer.

Yeah it's literally like using his feet as hands and I struggle to pick up a pen using my feet. lol

• Like 2

Yeah it's literally like using his feet as hands and I struggle to pick up a pen using my feet. lol

Yeh It kinda reminded me of how some apes use their feet like extra hands... I guess our feet have slightly evolved to suit walking but the ability is still there if we put some training into it.

• Like 3

Fair enough. For all we know he could have been a previously unsuccessful suicide bomber.

• Like 1

If his biometrics were of poor quality, that means that he does have alternatives to fingerprints, but whatever was provided by the government in Istanbul was not clear enough for the UK government to deem it acceptable. The article further states that his visa was not refused, so I don't know how such an extra-ordinary leap to him being refused a visa was made.

If anything, the UK government should realise that not every country is going to have 21st century up-to-the-moment technology to provide clear biometrics to other countries when necessary, as in this case.

True the article says his visa wasn't rejected, nor was it approved. He was asked for better info, meaning reprocessing. It probably would not have been approved in time for the convention, so in his eyes that's the same as rejected. I can see the point but it's not the official story.

• Like 1

Yeh It kinda reminded me of how some apes use their feet like extra hands... I guess our feet have slightly evolved to suit walking but the ability is still there if we put some training into it.

Yeah it will be to do with adaption I'm guessing. That's the key to evolution isn't it?

• Like 2

Yeah, granting a special pass to those whom have limited ability to ID themselves(and for no other reason or ID), likely is not good for anyone's sense of security.

Imagine that being allowed, and terrorists exploiting that.

So, I think he should have known that his condition could well be a problem(wouldn't anyone!), and perhaps should have made some type of prior legal arrangements for an alternative ID.

I blame him, not the officials.

Sorry for the loss of limbs, of course.

• Like 1

Couldn't they just concede and use his Big toe print instead???

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 1

Yeah it will be to do with adaption I'm guessing. That's the key to evolution isn't it?

Its remarkable how humans can adapt when they have to. Truly we are indeed an amazing species. OK we cant regrow limbs, but we can rewire the nervous system to regain dexterity with almost redundant things like toes!!

Humans are amazing! (some of us anyway)

And heres TEN more armless people doing some cool things, riding motorbikes, flying planes, playing golf, playing guitar, shooting a bow and arrow, and more

http://www.oddee.com/item_97470.aspx

[media=]

[/media]

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

If true that is Messed UP!!!

• Like 2

They need to come up with a variety of ways for ID. A retinal scan would work for this, not for someone who's lost their eyes but I would think it would even work for some blind people. Voice recogniton? That's a little far fetched, I guess. I assume that someday everyones DNA will be on record and encoded into our ID's.

• Like 2

They need to come up with a variety of ways for ID. A retinal scan would work for this, not for someone who's lost their eyes but I would think it would even work for some blind people. Voice recogniton? That's a little far fetched, I guess. I assume that someday everyones DNA will be on record and encoded into our ID's.

The Police have been known to use EAR PRINTS as evidence, just as good as fingerprints too!!

"Ears Could Make Better Unique IDs Than Fingerprints"

On a planet hosting 6.7 billion human beings, having proof you’re unique is of tantamount importance. The ear, it turns out, may be the best identification yet.

ear-biometric-ray-algorithm-cummings.jpg

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/11/ears-biometric-identification/

and:

"Police are compiling what is believed to be the world's largest computer database of ear prints to be used in the same way as fingerprint evidence in linking suspects to crimes.

The database is the brainchild of the same organisation that last month successfully brought the first prosecution of a criminal on the basis of an ear print.

Mark Dallagher was convicted of murdering an elderly woman in Huddersfield after the prosecution showed that ear prints on a newly washed window could only have been left by him as he listened for signs of movement inside the house"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/246713.stm

• Like 1

Would getting an earring or a gage be considered trying to hide your identify?
  • Like 1