Photo

Food Glorious Food

Posted by Simbi Laveau , 30 November 2012 · 464 views

nom nom nom
I am a massive foodie . My great love is of course Asian food .
I don't have many foods I dislike ,but Korean and Mexican ,are never first choices for me,but I do eat both.

I'm also a snooty tea drinker ^_^ ,so right this moment ,I'm drinking this ;
http://www.butikiteas.com/Purple.html

It's so new,its hard to find,and quite expensive.
You only have to use a little to brew a cup,or its horridly bitter.
It is,in fact,purple. Supposidly filled with antioxidants.
The flavor of the one I got is quite light ,but I cannot see drinking it ,other than for the health benefits.
I like hearty teas.
This is another review of it .
. http://www.gongfugir...ith-purple-tea/

As for food,because of my leanings,I actually can cook many Asian dishes .Mostly Japanese ,but I do some Vietnamese,Chinese ,and Thai .A couple of Indian .
A few Spanish ,and a lot of Italian . I was raised in an Italian household .

So I've been dabbling in new recipes as of late,and I thought I would share them to anyone who might be interested .

This,is off the hook .It takes hours,but its so worth it . I've made it twice already .
Any of my friends who had it,has called me to ask me to make it again,asap.
The comment at the bottom,is also mine .

http://www.keyingred...ramelized-pork/

I also make Chinese  congee .. I don't even use a recipe. If anyone wants me to expound upon how to make it,just ask :)
For japanese recipes ,ask. I make very specific things,that I like to eat ,but okonomiyaki, udon ,tamagoyaki . I do a traditional Japanese breakfast,quite a lot . Gyudon ,shabu shabu ,tempura,miso soup ,kushiage .

Then,I am a huge fan of Vietnamese pho . The soup staple . It's always good on cold days.
I have made it before ,but I recently found this website,and just wept with joy ,at all the varieties .
I made one with both chicken and pork this week .
Soooo goooogggggoooodddddd.

http://www.lovingpho...op-pho-recipes/

I highly recommend trying some of these recipes. Delicious !

with bells on
Nov 30 2012 10:29 AM
i am a huge pho eater.. pho ga to be more precise .. i make my own version.. i just had a 5 week holiday in Vietnam in August.. i ate so much good pho.. the food was amazing.. i love asian food the most.. you would like it in my city.. Sydney.. Thai is huge here and my all time fav.. i love hot spicy food.. so Indian would tie with Thai.. i mainly cook indian curries, as the ex is like a 5 star chef.. major foodie..

we just shared a dozen oysters.. i made a little sauce to splash on them, ginger chopped very finely, two very hot chillies from the garden, fresh lime juice and some fish sauce.. yum.. that chilli aftertaste was so over the top.. i love it..

the ex is cooking some steaks now, that he marinated in mirin, sake and soy sauce..  should be nice.. smells good..

Simbi Laveau
Nov 30 2012 01:24 PM
Oh boy....a fellow foodie . We are in trouble .
Try this glazed pork recipe I posted . Put it over thick chewy Chinese noodles. You won't be disappointed.

And I love Vietnamese food best . It's so hard for me to choose,but Japanese and Vietnamese.
I love Thai .I love spicy .
I can't eat some shell fish any more . I ate it all my life. 2006:BAM ,allergic .
I haven't had shrimp since 2007 ,mussels and clams since 2008 .It appears I can eat crab and lobster ,but I'm not sure about crawfish ,and I'm afraid of another sudden allergy .
It's really depressing.

I make my teriyaki sauce with mirrin ,soy,sake .
I add a clove of garlic and some ginger . Sugar ,and I thicken it with a bit of corn starch .
I never marinate the meat in it for teriyaki .
I grill it separate ,and pour the sauce over it when I serve.

I'm going to do pernil ,with black beans and yellow rice for xmas.
Sweet plantains on the side .
We have a Vietnamese place called...Pho Dau Bo here, they make the best soup in the city I've heard but I haven't tried it yet. I should.  I always get "Kitchen Soup" from the Chinese place around the corner when I have a cold, it's a mixture of Asian veggies, Chicken, Shrimp & Pork with won tons and Cantonese noodles. So good...and now I'm hungry.

Simbi Laveau
Dec 01 2012 07:49 AM

sarah_444, on 30 November 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

We have a Vietnamese place called...Pho Dau Bo here, they make the best soup in the city I've heard but I haven't tried it yet. I should.  I always get "Kitchen Soup" from the Chinese place around the corner when I have a cold, it's a mixture of Asian veggies, Chicken, Shrimp & Pork with won tons and Cantonese noodles. So good...and now I'm hungry.
Where do you live ?
I'm very fussy about my Vietnamese food,Japanese too .
Like in ny neighborhood ,all the Japanese places are run by Koreans and Chinese .
Now I love Chinese food,and Korean in a pinch ,but its like German making Italian food.
Yeah ,they're both from Europe,but they just don't do it quite right ...
I have to drive to Manhattan for Japanese food,made by Japanese .
However,if people are saying its great ,well go try it .

What do you like ?
As the beef ones have many versions,and it gets confusing.
But my place has a seafood one,with shrimp and scallops.
Then ,if you like pork ,I get it with their grilled pork.
For beef,just get it with "eye of round",which is essentially roast beef slices.
You usually throw bean sprouts,cilantro,basil and a hot pepper into the broth,before eating it. They also give you a lime wedge to squeeze into it.
Just rip the basil up good. The point is to infuse the basil flavors into it,not eat it .
I eat the leaves however,not the stems,which are thick.
And get fried sprring rolls ,and ask someone how to eat it with the lettuce and dipping sauce.
Mmmmmm,,,soooooo ggggooooooooodddddd.

Simbi Laveau
Dec 01 2012 08:01 AM

sarah_444, on 30 November 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

Here. See how he adds the bean sprouts and basil . I rip the basil leaves off the stem,and tear them a bit,so the oils seep out . I leave the stem in the bowl .
The noodles are rice noodles ,but some places have egg noodles too .
They are both good,but true pho has rice noodles.
The meat is thrown in the hot soup ,totally rare. The hot soup cooks it.
At the end,he sprinkles hot chili oil ,and a type of hoisin sauce on it .
I do too,if they don't have the real chili peppers to put in.
I didn't see a lime,but most authentic places,give you a lime to squeeze in .
The stuff in the pot to the left,is dark veitnamese coffee.
It's called "cafe sua".
It's a dark espresso like coffee.The French introduced them to it .
The grounds are in that little silver thing over the glass,and they pour the boiling water on it,and it slowly drips into a glass,with a layer of sweet condensed milk at the bottom.
When its done dripping ,you mix it all up ,and drink.

Here is how you eat a spring roll.
We add basil cilantro and a cucumber bit,into the lettuce,before we wrap it,and dunk.
The dunking sauce is called fish sauce,or nuk man .
It's delicious.
I add hot sauce to it,before I dunk.

with bells on
Dec 01 2012 09:15 AM
my ex i live with is the major foodie, i am just a bystander.. but, alas i am getting there.. my indian beef curry is now better than his.. for him to say that, is very very rare, as he highly critical..  

i only really got into cooking food when i became a vegan, (im not vegan at the mo) as you have to be good, otherwise its very bland and dull.. so my cookbooks are all vegetarian.. i live in foodie central.. my street and the streets around are becoming a bit of a restaurant hub.. its high end mostly..

my fav places to eat are the cheap pho restaurants down in china town, or the cheap Indian ones in little India.. daggy as hell, but the food is just incredible.. and i can walk to those areas..

i dont eat pork.. dont like overly fishy fish, not into sushi (sorry simbi, i know i am a leper), like korean (NYC has some good Korean), am overdosing on prawns (shrimp) at the mo.. its from the Vietnam trip.. i just cant stop eating them.. over there they cooked them in the shell, in a lot of chilli and salt and then had the most amazing chilli dipping sauce, so i would just sit there, and order another dozen and peel away dipping and having mouth orgasms.. the salads were heaven too, banana flower salad, green papaya salads, mango salads.. just divine.. they made these prawn dumplings, called "white rose" with garlic and chilli.. and the rice paper rolls were just perfect.. there is a town called Hoi An, and its foodie heaven.. its a paradise for foodies actually.. def the culinary hotspot in sth east asia.. i went there for three weeks of a five week trip, cause i knew the food was to die for, and the beaches too.. so i just had this foodie pig out the whole time.. loved it.. cheap as chips too.. def worth going to if you can afford to travel.. room was only $35USD a night.. other places were 20.. its very affordable..

im ranting.. will come back and post a recipe soon..
Ah, see I might like spring rolls a whole lot better eaten like that!

Simbi Laveau
Dec 02 2012 08:30 AM

with bells on, on 01 December 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

my ex i live with is the major foodie, i am just a bystander.. but, alas i am getting there.. my indian beef curry is now better than his.. for him to say that, is very very rare, as he highly critical..  

i only really got into cooking food when i became a vegan, (im not vegan at the mo) as you have to be good, otherwise its very bland and dull.. so my cookbooks are all vegetarian.. i live in foodie central.. my street and the streets around are becoming a bit of a restaurant hub.. its high end mostly..

my fav places to eat are the cheap pho restaurants down in china town, or the cheap Indian ones in little India.. daggy as hell, but the food is just incredible.. and i can walk to those areas..

i dont eat pork.. dont like overly fishy fish, not into sushi (sorry simbi, i know i am a leper), like korean (NYC has some good Korean), am overdosing on prawns (shrimp) at the mo.. its from the Vietnam trip.. i just cant stop eating them.. over there they cooked them in the shell, in a lot of chilli and salt and then had the most amazing chilli dipping sauce, so i would just sit there, and order another dozen and peel away dipping and having mouth orgasms.. the salads were heaven too, banana flower salad, green papaya salads, mango salads.. just divine.. they made these prawn dumplings, called "white rose" with garlic and chilli.. and the rice paper rolls were just perfect.. there is a town called Hoi An, and its foodie heaven.. its a paradise for foodies actually.. def the culinary hotspot in sth east asia.. i went there for three weeks of a five week trip, cause i knew the food was to die for, and the beaches too.. so i just had this foodie pig out the whole time.. loved it.. cheap as chips too.. def worth going to if you can afford to travel.. room was only $35USD a night.. other places were 20.. its very affordable..

im ranting.. will come back and post a recipe soon..
Bunchs of my friends have been to Vietnam .Aside from the deer and dog restaurants ,they loved it .
Eating Viet food ,means no wheat .They don't cook with it. People lost massive amts of weight on their trips to Vietnam ,despite eating like tiny oinkers . No wheat

Simbi Laveau
Dec 02 2012 08:30 AM

sarah_444, on 01 December 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

Ah, see I might like spring rolls a whole lot better eaten like that!
I will find a more authentic place near you .Give me a bit .

Recent Comments

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Categories

Latest Visitors

• Photo
    Opus Magnus
    05 Sep 2014 - 22:49
  • Photo
    OverSword
    05 Sep 2014 - 21:41
  • Photo