Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

does humour have its place on UM?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

the people here who know me, know that most of my posts are tongue in cheek, serious, with a flippant edge, critical of closed minds, even sharper against bullys, but does it really work?
i've made some great friends here, but i've also got myself into quite a bit of unintentional bother with my sense of humour.
is there a fun side to serious debate, or am I just farting custard at goats, and throwing cats at people while I shout at clouds.....?

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#2    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,903 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:32 AM

HAve you applied for the UM Comedy Practicing License and accepted by the High Council Of Humor Chapter Of UM to throw cats and shout at clouds ?

Maybe thats the problem ... the farting is okay I believe ... the threads is full of it and I don't think anyone can tell the difference :w00t:

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#3    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,406 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

Well, Oscar Wilde said, "It is a curious fact that people are never so trivial as when they take themselves seriously".

However, it's also quite true that most people don't particularly like to be the brunt of a joke.

Basically, humor is kind of a balancing act. It's an act in which you have to take into account the feelings and rights of others if you want to be considered as being a "funny guy" verses being considered an "annoying guy".

Edited by Lilly, 04 May 2013 - 09:37 AM.
Oops!

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#4    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

somehow third eye, I knew you wouldn't be far behind me!
you've also got a sense of humour, i've noticed that much, but is there a place for the likes of you and I here?
there's a LOT of... how can I put it.... stuffyness here, too many people taking themselves far too seriously, and considering that we're all talking about the unknown, no-one really knows more than anyone else, but amongst all the seriousness, all the proselytising, does humour have a place? or will the long-hairs (nerd-slang) always think we're mocking them??
myself, i'd rather keep an open
grin.....
;-)

if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#5    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

s**t lilly, why didn't you post that earlier so I could've quoted you?
b****!!
:-D

#6    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

I often feel as if my off-the-wall, dry sarcasm seems to sail a good 4 and a half feet above the general population.

Shroom..I find your posts entertaining. I've considered liking every single one, but don't want to come off as stalkerish so early in this relationship.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#7    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

A ufologist, a cryptozoologist, and a conspiracy theorist walk into a bar...

Sorry, can't post the rest here. ;)

#8    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,099 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:37 AM

Occasionally I try to add something absurd to my posts. They're usually ignored. I also like taking certain positions and trying my best to support them, even though, as shrooma says, we may be talking about the unknown and no one really knows more than anyone else.

This may be a form of humor as well.

I agree that people often take themselves too seriously. I think humor is fine when it relieves the tension of a too-serious sounding discussion.  Admitting that we may be expressing personal opinions or hypotheses from our own imagination is always good for the soul.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#9    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:48 AM

View PostOdd Requiem, on 04 May 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

I often feel as if my off-the-wall, dry sarcasm seems to sail a good 4 and a half feet above the general population.

Shroom..I find your posts entertaining. I've considered liking every single one, but don't want to come off as stalkerish so early in this relationship.
OR, flattery will get you everywhere!
truth be told?
I put out, easy as **** for the price of a couple of beers!
not that i'm saying i'm gay or anything, but hey, get me drunk enough?
if you can stand the s**t amigo, I can stand the pain!

#10    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:52 AM

Hey, hey, backoff man! I saw him first!    :ph34r:  *Ahem...*  ^ I mean yeah, what he said.^

View Postshrooma, on 04 May 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

the people here who know me, know that most of my posts are tongue in cheek, serious, with a flippant edge, critical of closed minds, even sharper against bullys, but does it really work?
i've made some great friends here, but i've also got myself into quite a bit of unintentional bother with my sense of humour.
is there a fun side to serious debate, or am I just farting custard at goats, and throwing cats at people while I shout at clouds.....?

Shrooma...just keep doing what your doing, man. The more positivity in this forum, the better, I say. Some are not gonna like it and just want to be serious as a heart attack about everything. Of course they're probably headed in that general direction, stressing about everything anyway, but we will keep on trying, right? Never the less, this forum needs humor, because there is a lot of negativity here from time to time.

BTW, like your post because I think this a awesome thread and not because I want to stalk you. :no:  Swear to god!

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#11    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

This is escalating so quickly!

I hope you like Blue Moon!...because that's all I have at the moment.

Haha.

Keep the wit up my friend!

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#12    Drayno

Drayno

Draynor's Finest

• 3,704 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

I would say that many members of UM are like minded in some areas, and that's why we're all here in the first place.

We're all curious.

I wouldn't say the overall humor of the forum is bad, because every one is different.

But I have had both intense debates and humorous exchanges on this board. :P

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II

#13    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,233 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

Don`t even go there as I will call you a poo poo head and quote a Bushsism then call in an O banasim ok what the hell pull down your pants and slid on the ice, its funny but not for you.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#14    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:01 AM

I was kinda hoping that this thread would be a place that people with a sense of humour could come and laugh at each other, without fear of recrimination, y'know?
somewhere we could get away from the seriousness of the general forums? where we can just all get together and laugh at ourselves, no offence given, and none taken, somewhere to let off a bit of steam after debating against each other on the forums, where we can all say 'hey, your politics are a bit s**t, but I like your socks!', that kinda thing?
it'd be nice if the mods. would let us, maybe join in too?
I reckon a couple of 'em would love to, but as far as an official sanction goes?
we can but hope eh....?
:-)

#15    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

View PostPurifier, on 04 May 2013 - 03:52 AM, said:

a
Hey, hey, backoff man! I saw him first!    :ph34r:  *Ahem...*  ^ I mean yeah,d what he said.^

see! that's EXACTLY what i'm talking about!!
you get it perfectly, thank you!!
(but I have to say, i'm a giver, not a taker....)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users