Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Texas FORMALLY requests secession

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#226    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,629 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

View PostBama13, on 16 November 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

When I look at the Articles I see that it is titled: "Articles of confederation and perpetual union between the states of New Hampshire, Massachusetts Bay, Rhode Island, and Providence plantations, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia."

Notice the word "states", "North Carolina", and "Rhode Island, and Providence plantations". It looks, from the terminology, like they were called states before they ratified the Constitution.

Regardless they were differences between the northern "wahtevers" and the southern "whatevers". The differences got worse and led to the ACW. But they existed during the Constitutional Convention.

Sounds like you ought to take your complaint up with the states involved since it was their decision, not mine, on when they placed the dates they achieved Statehood.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#227    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,925 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostLilly, on 14 November 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

Looks like there might be a bit of a backlash to all this secession stuff:

https://petitions.wh...e-them/ZbMjcwPf
"Mr. President, please sign an executive order such that each American citizen who signed a petition from any state to secede from the USA shall have their citizenship stripped and be peacefully deported."

Deported where exactly? This petition wasn't well thought out.

Edited by Likely Guy, 16 November 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#228    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,615 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 16 November 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

"Mr. President, please sign an executive order such that each American citizen who signed a petition from any state to secede from the USA shall have their citizenship stripped and be peacefully deported."Deported where exactly?

If you mean it, you can file a petition to the effect here

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#229    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,925 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 16 November 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

If you mean it, you can file a petition to the effect here
A petition from a non-American?

#230    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,615 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 16 November 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

A petition from a non-American?

Guess that would not work, sorry.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#231    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

An oldie but a goody.  

#232    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

Get it?! Cause the South is still the Confederacy! Oh the hijinx.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#233    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Marching Through Georgia, one more time!

#234    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostHasina, on 14 November 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

Excuse me? Can we not use the term 'Confederate States'? First, it no longer exists, second, they were whining about 'states rights' while just wanting to keep slaves (while today it's a minority of political whiners because their guy didn't win~), third, it's generalizing an entire part of US as grey coat wearing, bigoted racists, which I can assure you the VAST majority of Southerners are not, by any stretch of the word 'racist'. Does the South have a large population of people who are racist? Perhaps, I don't have numbers on hand but I'd believe it. But is that the majority of Southerners? God no! This idea of Southerners being bigots, Bible Thumpers, and oil barons may be true about SOME of the people, but you have generalized the entire area as a massive quarantine zone. I do see how much the First Amendment means to people like them, if people do not fall in line with their way of thinking, they're wrong, but I sense the very same interpretation coming from you MacGuffin. The South is as varied of opinion as the North, just because someone shouts louder or their temper tantrum is given more news coverage does not make that true for everyone.
Hey, Mac, you seemed to have missed these points I made a few pages back. You wouldn't mind addressing them now, would you?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#235    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

seems like a lot of foot stomping and fist shaking to me.
i'd be very surprised if anything comes of all this.

#236    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,055 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostHasina, on 17 November 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

Hey, Mac, you seemed to have missed these points I made a few pages back. You wouldn't mind addressing them now, would you?
Just possibly not enough people take the idea at all seriously to consider it worth any serious consideration of the issues. :-/

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#237    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,748 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

you need rifles to succeed not petitions. just saying lol

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#238    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,738 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostHasina, on 14 November 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:
Excuse me? Can we not use the term 'Confederate States'? First, it no longer exists, second, they were whining about 'states rights' while just wanting to keep slaves (while today it's a minority of political whiners because their guy didn't win~), third, it's generalizing an entire part of US as grey coat wearing, bigoted racists, which I can assure you the VAST majority of Southerners are not, by any stretch of the word 'racist'. Does the South have a large population of people who are racist? Perhaps, I don't have numbers on hand but I'd believe it. But is that the majority of Southerners? God no! This idea of Southerners being bigots, Bible Thumpers, and oil barons may be true about SOME of the people, but you have generalized the entire area as a massive quarantine zone. I do see how much the First Amendment means to people like them, if people do not fall in line with their way of thinking, they're wrong, but I sense the very same interpretation coming from you MacGuffin. The South is as varied of opinion as the North, just because someone shouts louder or their temper tantrum is given more news coverage does not make that true for everyone.

Dear Plainly Outspoken Hasina,
I don't think Mac has any interest in addressing your post...but I do!  So, I hereby offer the following address:
Bravo! :tu: :gun: :nw: :tu:

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#239    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostEuphorbia, on 14 November 2012 - 01:41 AM, said:

If we allowed Texas to secede, what would stop every other state from doing the same if they so wished?

I live in California and we have the eighth largest economy in the world. If we, Texas, and a small handful of the other more productive states seceded, what would happen to the US? What would it be like for a less productive state like North Dakota?

All I have to say is that many states depend on food and other necessities from the other states. Would these less productive states be able to survive?

It'll never happen.......

Less productive state like North Dakota?
You may want to re evaluate that one.
North Dakota is one of only two states not running in the red.
California is bankrupt (financially and morally)
North Dakota is currently producing oil hand over fist and has more jobs than people to fill them.
Go ahead and gather up the 8 larger states and figure out how to keep paying the illegal immigrants welfare benefits.
We in North Dakota are fine and wont object.

#240    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

View Postme-wonders, on 15 November 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

I wonder if those who signed to separate from the US figured out what that would do to their Social Security and Medicare?

Most are smart enough to know that the boomers are going to suck that program completely dry before they are old enough to see one dime of the tens of thousands they contributed.
Even the SSN website admits it will be bankrupt in the not so distant future, yet privatization is bad... and leaving it in failure mode IS the answer???

Got to love the Govt thought process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users