Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

11th step AA group retreat

markdohle

11th step AA group

Had the 11th step AA group here this weekend; they have been coming here for years. We have three different AA groups come here and I find myself very attached to each one. Doing the 12 steps keep you real and you feet on the ground. It is a place of community and acceptance, as well as compassion and empathy. Is it perfect? No of course not, each community or grouping of peoples has its problems. It is in the problems and the adaptations that allow growth to happen at an accelerated pace. The tension in community are just as important as aspects that make one feel accepted and welcomed.

In doing the steps over and over again it allows victimhood to drop away. It allows truth to be said and the humility to continue no matter the obstacles that come from others or from ones-self. It is great that a certain number of AA members attain sobriety. They are honored by the group and listened to. Those who have to start over again by going in front of the group and taking a white chip more than once, or many times, or also an inspiration to others. For who does not have to begin again? Well I do, more than once. If I was in AA I have no doubt I would be getting my white chip many times.

The white chip is a symbol for me of mercy and compassion based on empathy… the groups understanding of the struggle of each member.

So yes I am touched by their raw humanity, their humility and their humor. It is an honor to have them here in our retreat house.

AA is a great thing. It helps not just the members, but family members and friends of the addicted. I've known many a people who needed help, but they wanted someone to carry them up the steps. Once they realized that they can only carry themselves, and the people who want to help them realize that they can only act as a handrail so they don't fall too far, they progress a lot further in treatment.

I know if there was a smoker's anonymous, I'd get a white chip every two weeks. The important thing to remember is to not beat yourself up and keep plugging forward, hope is only lost when you give it up.

• Like 1

AA is a great thing. It helps not just the members, but family members and friends of the addicted. I've known many a people who needed help, but they wanted someone to carry them up the steps. Once they realized that they can only carry themselves, and the people who want to help them realize that they can only act as a handrail so they don't fall too far, they progress a lot further in treatment.

I know if there was a smoker's anonymous, I'd get a white chip every two weeks. The important thing to remember is to not beat yourself up and keep plugging forward, hope is only lost when you give it up.

Very wise thank you for sharing my friend.

Peace

mark