Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apple's Gay Cure Application

thedutchiedutch

Apple has opened itself up to attack after it has approved a Gay Cure App for its iTunes Store. The application at the centre of the controversy claims to help users find freedom from homosexuality.

Jane Fae Ozimek from The Register is reporting that an organization which fights against anti-gay religious extremism, Truth Wins Out, has launched a petition asking Apple CEO Steve Jobs to remove the app. The Exodus International ministry is responsible for the application.

FULL ARTICLE AND SOURCE : http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/03/20/gay-cure-iphone-app-apple-controversy/

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakari

• The Silver Thong

• Leonardo

• DieChecker

Ridiculous. People need to understand that if somebody is gay then he/she can't change that, you are gay or you are not, bottom line.

Apple shouldn't approve a stupid App like that, what are they thinking !!?? :(

Apple has opened itself up to attack after it has approved a Gay Cure App for its iTunes Store. The application at the centre of the controversy claims to help users find freedom from homosexuality.

Jane Fae Ozimek from The Register is reporting that an organization which fights against anti-gay religious extremism, Truth Wins Out, has launched a petition asking Apple CEO Steve Jobs to remove the app. The Exodus International ministry is responsible for the application.

FULL ARTICLE AND SOURCE : http://www.product-r...le-controversy/

Freedom of Speech?

Religious nuts ( Westboro Baptist Church ) can picket funerals , and wave " God Hates Fags " banners , yet apple can not do that?.....Come on....

Quit being such pansies......Don't get the app if you do not like it......

Have I said " pussification of America " latley?

Don't be so rude Sak, we have an opinion and you have one.

I just don't think Apple made a good move by Approving a controversial App like that, in my opinion the word "cure" is disrespectful, like saying homosexuality is a disease.

I think there's a kind of gaydar app that's available, so I suppose it's only being even-handed. Of course, it's just a vehicle for the usual bunch of religious barmpots to bang their drum on a subject they get excessively obsessed about, and, as with our nutty friends at Westboro Baptist Church, they're getting all the publicity they could wish for out of it, as was, of course, their intention.

Don't be so rude Sak, we have an opinion and you have one.

I just don't think Apple made a good move by Approving a controversial App like that, in my opinion the word "cure" is disrespectful, like saying homosexuality is a disease.

Not trying to be rude JVE , it is the point of the matter , not that it has to do with " Gay "......

Myself , there are a ton of things out there I do not like ( including Westboro Baptist Church ) , and a lot of things that offend me....The term " cracker " for one......But I am not going to go cry to Apple if they make a " cracker " app ( if one does not all ready exist ) , I just would not get it.....A lot of things would just disapear if ignored , and/or not purchased or talked about....Crying about it brings it more attention ( "it" being anything ).....If " it " is not physically / monetarilly hurting anyone , than sorry , but I say "let it go"........

That is all I am saying....No offense to anyone. :tu:

Edited by Sakari

Not trying to be rude JVE , it is the point of the matter , not that it has to do with " Gay "......

Myself , there are a ton of things out there I do not like ( including Westboro Baptist Church ) , and a lot of things that offend me....The term " cracker " for one......But I am not going to go cry to Apple if they make a " cracker " app ( if one does not all ready exist ) , I just would not get it.....A lot of things would just disapear if ignored , and/or not purchased or talked about....Crying about it brings it more attention ( "it" being anything ).....If " it " is not physically / monetarilly hurting anyone , than sorry , but I say "let it go"........

That is all I am saying....No offense to anyone. :tu:

Sorry you had to explain yourself once again. :blush:

I agree that "pussification of America" should be in the dictionnary. :lol:

Sorry you had to explain yourself once again. :blush:

That's one of the problems with typing/reading and not personal talking to each other...No worries :tu:

Freedom of Speech?

Religious nuts ( Westboro Baptist Church ) can picket funerals , and wave " God Hates Fags " banners , yet apple can not do that?.....Come on....

Quit being such pansies......Don't get the app if you do not like it......

Freedom of speech has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Or would you agree that a similar app called 'Black Cure App', which promoted itself as allowing the user to "find freedom from being black" is as worthy of production and distribution as the one Apple have allowed? Would such an app be simply an expression of 'freedom of speech'?

People are allowed to hold what opinion they wish. A person is allowed to speak their opinion if they wish. That is freedom of speech. A company or institution promoting such an opinion as to cause bigotry and prejudice, or to continue the promotion of ignorance, is not an exercise of freedom of speech.

You suggest people should quit being pansies? I suggest you quit being ignorant and/or a bigot. :)

Freedom of speech has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Or would you agree that a similar app called 'Black Cure App', which promoted itself as allowing the user to "find freedom from being black" is as worthy of production and distribution as the one Apple have allowed? Would such an app be simply an expression of 'freedom of speech'?

People are allowed to hold what opinion they wish. A person is allowed to speak their opinion if they wish. That is freedom of speech. A company or institution promoting such an opinion as to cause bigotry and prejudice, or to continue the promotion of ignorance, is not an exercise of freedom of speech.

You suggest people should quit being pansies? I suggest you quit being ignorant and/or a bigot. :)

So do you think that every black, latino, KKK, muslim, etc,....hate group should not be allowed on the internet? Where do you draw the line?

So do you think that every black, latino, KKK, muslim, etc,....hate group should not be allowed on the internet? Where do you draw the line?

I think this has to do more with a company image rather than a personal or individuals image. I personaly think it looks bad for Apple. Can the do it, sure, should they ?

and a lot of things that offend me....The term " cracker " for one......

I always find this interesting that white people find "cracker" offensive.

You know it was something slaves called white people because of the cracking of the whip on the negros back ?

I think this has to do more with a company image rather than a personal or individuals image. I personaly think it looks bad for Apple. Can the do it, sure, should they ?

I could care less if that is the image they want to project. I may not do business with them but that's up to them. :lol:

What people are bringing up is the morality of it. I don't happen to think it's immoral.

I think there's a kind of gaydar app that's available, so I suppose it's only being even-handed. Of course, it's just a vehicle for the usual bunch of religious barmpots to bang their drum on a subject they get excessively obsessed about, and, as with our nutty friends at Westboro Baptist Church, they're getting all the publicity they could wish for out of it, as was, of course, their intention.

No publicity is bad publicity. :tu:

Because we do not agree , I am ignorant , oh , and a bigot......You do not know me , that is for sure....

My point is , if Westboro Baptists can go around screaming God Hates Fags , and picket at funerals , then a company should be able to make a app ( that must be purchased ) such as this one....

I am not saying it is right , not at all.....

I am saying ( to repeat myself for , well , ignorant people that do not read ).......

Things like this are not against the law , and people have the right to do it ( even if 99% of the people do not feel it is right ).....

The more people b**** and cry about it , the more news it gets , and the more attention. ( like this topic is doing ).....

Quit crying about things like this , ignore them , do not purchase them , whatever....But yes , quit crying about something that is " freedom of speech ".....Maybe some people want the app , they think it is humorous ( not saying I do )....So be it , they have a right to their opinion also.......

Instead of crying , go make a app like " App to release your homosexual tendencies" , something like that......I mean , come on , is it really that big of a deal?.......My opinion ( no matter how you feel about it , I could care less , just do not call me ignorant or a bigot )

" sticks and stones will break my bones , but a stupid iphone app won't hurt me ".....

I could care less if that is the image they want to project. I may not do business with them but that's up to them. :lol:

What people are bringing up is the morality of it. I don't happen to think it's immoral.

Oh I could care less myself just that if I was Apple I would want the broadest base off customers possible with out turning some off my product.

edit: missed an f in off :w00t:

edit to say that is really why I edited my post really lol

Edited by The Silver Thong

I agree. If I were gay I probably wouldn't make a big deal out of it but it would still make me cringe. Freedom of speech is fine and dandy but it's crap like this that sets back all that's been done to make people see there's nothing wrong with homosexuality and it is definitely not a disease.

Not so much being called it , but being called it and if anyone says " ****** " that is wrong ( unless you are black or a rapper , than it is ok )......2 wrongs do not make it right I guess.....

Opening a entire different can of worms here....sorry.....just read it and ignore please.

Freedom of speech is fine and dandy............

I think it is broke actually ..... :tu:

Need's some fixen' it does......

You know it was something slaves called white people because of the cracking of the whip on the negros back ?

I find it interesting that black people are offended when someone that is white call males a "boy". I call my 6'4" tall brother, that is ten years older than me, and fifty years old "boy", but have to bite my tongue when referring to someone that is black. That is something that just rolls off my tongue when talking about a male of any color.

My problem is with the word "cure", nothing against Freedom of speech, but to me using the word cure is saying Homosexuality is a disease, and it's not right.

Sorry to repeat myself. :hmm:

Edited by JVE

I think it is broke actually ..... :tu:

Need's some fixen' it does......

How so? Just curious on what exactly you meant. I just meant that I'm all for freedom of speech, and am also sick of the overabundance of political correctness. At the same time though, I agree with JVE that "cure" is a poor choice of words. The whole thing is just a bit tasteless.

How so? Just curious on what exactly you meant. I just meant that I'm all for freedom of speech, and am also sick of the overabundance of political correctness. At the same time though, I agree with JVE that "cure" is a poor choice of words. The whole thing is just a bit tasteless.

Kind of same as you i think.....I mean really , I do get sick of the " give us our own status " on any group of people , we are supposed to be equal right?.....

It is broke when " God Hates Fags " can be flown at Soldiers funerals , at Rape / Murder victims funerals.....It get's to a point where it is to much and is asking for trouble....I guess it falls into the " hate " agenda , KKK , Arien Nation , etc.....Thing is , how do you draw a line and say what people can and can not say.....

Kind of same as you i think.....I mean really , I do get sick of the " give us our own status " on any group of people , we are supposed to be equal right?.....

It is broke when " God Hates Fags " can be flown at Soldiers funerals , at Rape / Murder victims funerals.....It get's to a point where it is to much and is asking for trouble....I guess it falls into the " hate " agenda , KKK , Arien Nation , etc.....Thing is , how do you draw a line and say what people can and can not say.....

Gotcha, I agree. It's not like a word or certain group can be banned because as you said, where would the line be drawn?

FULL ARTICLE AND SOURCE : http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/03/20/gay-cure-iphone-app-apple-controversy/

I think it is fine for them to ASK if they will take it down. If there was a Skin-The-Oregonian app, I'd ask for it to be taken down too. But, I don't think this qualifies as extremeism. It is not like anyone is loading it on all phones everywhere. There is probably no market for this, so it should fade away on its own.

What if there is some confused soul out there that does want to "go straight"? Shouldn't there be some kind of program for those who WANT to move from a homosexual lifestyle to a heterosexual lifestyle? Sure, people will say, "Those guys are not gay then... they're bisexual." But the point is the same.

What is not forced on anyone is not extremism or damaging.

Now i'm curious what it is that is supposed to be "helpful" in finding freedom from homosexuality. Maybe almost nekid ladies with Biblical quotes on their bikinis and tattooed on their... aauuhhuummmm... anyway, I'm curious now. :devil: