Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Timothy

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

I found this site randomly, while searching for different opinions on gun violence in America.

I am surprised I haven't seen it before here, although it could easily be in another thread I haven't seen. (If so, can Mods please merge)

It gives 'last 72 hour' stats with original sources and links to news articles.

I'd like people to discuss how they feel about the statistics of the website, and how you feel about them.

Also, if you have any opinion on certain events, there are links to the local news articles.

We will see how this goes,

Regards,

Tim.

Now, if you post a link we might be able to do that...

• Like 2

Over 450 incidents and 125 deaths in the first 4-5 days of 2016 already? (and under 10 defensive uses) If that's correct, that's a lot worse than I was expecting.

Edited by Beefers

Over 450 incidents and 125 deaths in the first 4-5 days of 2016 already? (and under 10 defensive uses) If that's correct, that's a lot worse than I was expecting.

It sounds worse than it actually is, the perspective to see it in is that those happened among 400 million people. Having said that: yes there would be less violence if access to guns would be restricted. But that is a debate that will not fruit unless the numbers get much much higher.

The map shows the largest concentration around cities. Probably a safe bet most of these shootings were gang related. Wish they had broke it down to how many were committed by gangs. Where the concentration is highest seems to be sanctuary cities.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jan/4/tammy-bruce-crime-rises-in-sanctuary-cities/?page=1

• Like 2

But that is a debate that will not fruit unless the numbers get much much higher.

quite the opposite actually, the more numbers grow, the less people care.

in related news, over 5000 died due to medical mistakes, (statistically) this year. and about 2500 died in car accidents, again statistically. your 125 deaths does not seem like much.

• Like 1

quite the opposite actually, the more numbers grow, the less people care.

Indeed, and as I have predicted a few times the outcome will be that either the gun lovers make sensible laws to terminate that or the gun haters will make some insensible ones.

The map shows the largest concentration around cities. Probably a safe bet most of these shootings were gang related. Wish they had broke it down to how many were committed by gangs. Where the concentration is highest seems to be sanctuary cities.

http://www.washingto...-cities/?page=1

I don't think that is possible in a way to show anything accurate. Some "gang" shootings are easy to classify while others are not. Just because someone is in a "gang" doesn't mean it was gang related. What is the definition of a gang?

Just thinking.

Indeed, and as I have predicted a few times the outcome will be that either the gun lovers make sensible laws to terminate that or the gun haters will make some insensible ones.

lmao, i'm not 1 bit worried about that.

Just because someone is in a "gang" doesn't mean it was gang related.

\

actually it means exactly that. just as any shooting where cops involed is considered police shooting

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Pretty cool site. I do have to wonder how accurate it is. Has it been verified by anyone? Just asking because it is rare to find any site not leaning heavily one way or another.

Guns do not seem to be an issue in the rural area I live in.

• Like 2

I find that most of these "gun violence " stats use accidents, suicides and justifiable shootings to inflate the numbers. Plus we have a ghetto problem in the US that is the majority of the problem. We need an economic recovery strong enough to remove the incentive to sling drugs by these people. Drug legalization would take away the economic rewards that fuel this violence.

• Like 3

\

actually it means exactly that. just as any shooting where cops involed is considered police shooting

I disagree. I am in a club. If I shoot my wife, it is not related to that club.

If an off duty cop shoots his brother in law, it certainly should not be classified as a police shooting.

I find that most of these "gun violence " stats use accidents, suicides and justifiable shootings to inflate the numbers. Plus we have a ghetto problem in the US that is the majority of the problem. We need an economic recovery strong enough to remove the incentive to sling drugs by these people. Drug legalization would take away the economic rewards that fuel this violence.

Suicides do not seem to be listed on the site, at least not viewable in the reports section. I've been to 3 gsw suicides in the last 72 hours alone that are not listed on that site.

Also, even if there are suicides, accidents, and justifiable shootings, those are still gun violence. The site does not purport to show only gun homicides.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

so this site shows us only 8 instances of self defense with gun, ok, are those just instances where guns were pulled? fired? people killed? even according to clinton's anti gun research, guns used defensively, about 1,5 million times a year. that would make it statistically about 4000 times a day. something about numbers the site uses does not seem right.

• Like 2

Pretty cool site. I do have to wonder how accurate it is. Has it been verified by anyone? Just asking because it is rare to find any site not leaning heavily one way or another.

Guns do not seem to be an issue in the rural area I live in.

The links I checked seemed to be linked to local news sites that seemed reputable.

in related news, over 5000 died due to medical mistakes, (statistically) this year. and about 2500 died in car accidents, again statistically. your 125 deaths does not seem like much.

The site I posted has 157 gun related deaths since 01/01/2016, not for a whole year!

It has 13,344 gun related deaths in 2015. Edit: Which is double yours when added together...

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 1

The links I checked seemed to be linked to local news sites that seemed reputable.

The site I posted has 157 gun related deaths since 01/01/2016, not for a whole year!

It has 13,344 gun related deaths in 2015. Edit: Which is double yours when added together...

Now, now... you don't have to be so blunt... besides a good died in the wool NRA member will certainly not care about something as awkward as statistics. Opinion is more important!

• Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius

http://www.washingto...-cities/?page=1

A very misleading factoid you just provided there. only by considering the percentage homicide rate by per capita can a fair comparison be made. When you do that your chances of been a gun homicide stat are higher if you live in a low population density rural location.

Damn those stats.

Br Cornelius

Now, now... you don't have to be so blunt... besides a good died in the wool NRA member will certainly not care about something as awkward as statistics. Opinion is more important!

:su Was I that blunt? Not my intention, but I believe reality should be blunt (sharp too :w00t: )

Opinion is obviously super important, I do really wish I had a vote in the next US elections right now.

Edit: Spelling :/

A very misleading factoid you just provided there. only by considering the percentage homicide rate by per capita can a fair comparison be made. When you do that your chances of been a gun homicide stat are higher if you live in a low population density rural location.

Damn those stats.

Br Cornelius

Yes, damn those stats. But a very often recurring perspective nonetheless.

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 2

Damn those stats.

Br Cornelius

Tell that to the people that live in LA or Chicago. Facts are if you live in a big city with gang violence and illegals you are much more likely to get shot.
  • Like 2

Guest Br Cornelius

Tell that to the people that live in LA or Chicago. Facts are if you live in a big city with gang violence and illegals you are much more likely to get shot.

You would imgine so, but then you would be wrong.

the simple fact is that the most likely victim of a gang related homicide is another gang member - not a member of the general public. So if you don't want to become an inner city homicide stat, don't join a gang.

There are a few commonly parroted pieces of gun misinformation from the NRA and you have just been bazingered.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

You would imgine so, but then you would be wrong.

the simple fact is that the most likely victim of a gang related homicide is another gang member - not a member of the general public. So if you don't want to become an inner city homicide stat, don't join a gang.

There are a few commonly parroted pieces of gun misinformation from the NRA and you have just been bazingered.

Br Cornelius

Tell that to the innocent children that were just sitting in their living room or playing in their yard that was murdered by gangs. You are so misinformed.
  • Like 2