Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Former street beggar urges people not to give

Still Waters

Homeless charities and Liverpool City Council are urging people not to give money to beggars claiming they will spend the money on alcohol or drugs "that could kill". But what does a former street beggar think of the policy?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...eyside-25749158

Years ago in my hometown a group of homeless were living under a bridge at the Christmas season. A local TV station did a story and the donations flowed in - I took sleeping bags and food. A couple of days later there was a story that one of the men had fallen and hit his head and died. He had gotten drunk on a bottle of spirits that some well meaning soul had given them for Christmas "cheer". Non alcoholics simply don't understand how alcoholics think/react to alcohol. They will do almost anything to continue drinking....

It's a tough one, but I think I agree with the article.

I used to work in television news, and I did a lot of stories on homeless people. It was VERY rare that I met a homeless person that wasn't an alcoholic, drug addict, or mentally ill. I think money is better spent on organizations that have a mission to help these people.

• Like 2

We used to buy them food, and they would get mad and say they only wanted money, so we would say food or nothing, we know you will use money to buy booze.

I give a few quid to a homeless fella not far from me, when I see him that is, which is normally a few times a week.....I don't know what he spends the money on, that's his business......for as long as he's homeless he can have my spare change.

• Like 2

Just to be clear the groups in the article says to give them food. Just incase people assume that the charities are telling you to give them none thing.

but anyways after clearing that up.

They did one study where they kept track of who went in a homeless shelter in some city and they found out that 90% of the people who stayed a night never ended up staying again. hopefully because they bettered their condition, that's what the study assumed happened anyways.

but they found that the 10% of people who stayed all the time was the homeless who are drug addicts/ alcoholics.

Sadly I cant source this because I found this a long time ago =(

I gotta disagree. If someone is in a position where they're forced to pan handle to get through the day it's none of my business if they put the few dollars I gave them towards alcohol. Sure, I'd prefer it if they spent it on food, but after the exchange I'm probably never going to see them again. And if a hit of their favourite drug is going to make living on the street less painful who the hell am I to tell them otherwise?

• Like 3

Being an alcoholic makes nothing less painful.

I agree with giving them food, clean socks, toiletries maybe... if they don't want it and insist on money, then too bad really.

There were so many on the streets in Giessen Germany and cities there..

I felt bad for walking by.. I was broke in those days though. I know that many don't need it; there are some people that beg and are well off.

It's crazy how I used to have friends that would eat at the homeless house opened on Wednesdays here, when they had food at home and couldn't wait until later. I would get so mad, but then again, people around here have no conscious

I would imagine to anyone homeless and living on the streets, a drink or two is all they've got to look forward to, even if it is booze. That said, it shouldn't be assumed that homeless people are drunks or drug addicts.