Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Applicants wanted for one-way ticket to Mars.

mars settlers

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#46    wimfloppp

wimfloppp

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

Im thinking mother  in  law.

#47    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,533 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

I love the idea that commercial companies are taking the initiative to explore the cosmos.  But eight years of training each of these volunteers, the cost of the flight, the spaceship, equipment, fuel, maintenance, material expenses, possible compensation payments for loss of lives. Quite expensive!!
Where is the ROI going to come from to pay for all of this? All it takes is one trip to go pear shaped and costs would become exorbitant. The story of these volunteers, photos of Mars may pay back some of the costs....for the first trip or two.  After the novelty, humans start getting bored and loose interest with things.

Sounds great but just don't believe it's feasible yet.

Edited by Black Red Devil, 18 April 2013 - 10:34 AM.

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell

- Oscar Wilde

#48    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,267 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

View Postjustcalmebubba, on 18 April 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

i wanta go this world we live in on earth is starting to suck  like ahorny spider monkey humping your leg

No matter how your life is on earth, its still a paradise compared to Mars

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#49    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,267 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 18 April 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

But you were saying that I can't believe any govt would let people go on a - literally - one way suicide mission. I was asking why it should be the business of any Government to prevent anyone from doing so, if it was their own free will? I don't know what complaining about governments brutally assaulting anyone who protests has to do with it?

I was talking of our ability to do what we wanted, or not as the case may be!  But maybe I ranted. Well youre right I guess. In the UK some people who are terminally ill have to ask if they can end their life, and very often are told no. Wheres the free will there?  Its a suicide mission too, literally, but still it goes thru the courts. Now, considering these people will most likely die within a short time frame, (and why should they live long?)...surely some ethics are called into play?

Imagine the show Big Brother filming two guys playing real Russian roulette? It just will not happen will it? Not in the western/civilised world anyway. Yet a bunch of people with no way of coming home and with limited resources, on Mars of all places, being televised? Come on, whats the outcome going to be?  But hey lets not argue about individual rights and liberties.. If it ever goes ahead, sure I will watch it, Id be too fascinated not too...even to the very end.. which is how it must end. As I quoted earlier, Antartica has been visited but never settled, and compared to Mars, Antarctica is a walk in the park

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#50    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Yall realise they don't plan to put people there for another ten years.  It's not going to just be in the next year or two.  They seem to be planning a hell of a lot.

They have people, they have the means.  I say go for it.

Edited by krypter3, 18 April 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#51    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Until the enlightened Greeks gave us a spherical earth, there were adventurers who were willing to sail to the ends of the earth and those who chose not to chance it. We see this enacted everyday in perhaps trivial ways; there are those who acquiesce to their fears and drive large SUVs and then there are the adventurers on their motorcycles. We all play a probability game. That "we are not going to get of this alive" gives us the diversity and daring that has ultimately made us so successful.

#52    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,449 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

View Postkrypter3, on 18 April 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Yall realise they don't plan to put people there for another ten years.  It's not going to just be in the next year or two.  They seem to be planning a hell of a lot.

They have people, they have the means.  I say go for it.

I agree with you... explorers crossed the oceans 500+ years ago not knowing if they would fall off the edge, people explored Inner Africa with virtually no support and no lifelines. They did it because it WAS a challenge, and because it was there. It is almost a genetic imperitive to put yourself in danger to open up new avenues of exploration and discovery.

Some people will always ask  "is it 100% safe?"... these are the people who will be weeded out at the first pass.

The fact is that you would have to work hard to survive, and what greater imperitive is there than that? Establish your base near to frozen ice for oxygen and water, near to Volcanic Tubes for the opportunity to seal off and pressurise, near to clay deposits for the nutrients.

#53    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,832 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

View Postseeder, on 17 April 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

from the article:

"The apparatus which recycles human waste and turns "yesterday's coffee into into tomorrow's coffee needs frequent maintenance and would likely not survive years of continuous duty on Mars", he says"

Not good then, you need to have better equipment or different systems to fall back on. I think the story is sensationalism... I cant believe any govt would let people go on a - literally - one way suicide mission
  Does the Coffee taste ok ?......Everyone on this rock has eaten or drank recycled animal and human waste,how,s this years crop of potatoes doing ?

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#54    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,267 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Now it may appear Im putting a dampener on this mission idea. Im not, and Im interested to see how it works out.....its just that I base my views as much as possible on the facts of the matter. So...assuming then the mission is on.... where do the live when they arrive? if they transport liveable pods - the size of the ship will have to be extremely big, which will push the price up massively.

So lets conquer that issue first?  An excerpt from wiki

"Conditions for human habitation"

Based on scientific evidence, collected by satellites and the NASA Rovers, conditions are not “hospitable” to humans or life as we know it. Antarctica has temperatures that are comparable, though Mars is colder, but other environmental circumstances are very unlike those of Earth, in fact would be deadly to all life as we know it. These include greatly reduced air pressure, an atmosphere that’s 95% carbon dioxide, almost no oxygen (compared to Earth’s 21% oxygen and almost no carbon dioxide), reduced gravity, and no liquid water (although amounts of frozen water have been detected). Despite this, some consider Mars to be “habitable,” but which would require that life support measures be taken. People would need to live in artificial environments. Man might one day step foot on Mars and scout around, but it’s unknown if man could ever adapt to living on Mars as a permanent resident.

more great info:

http://en.wikipedia....ization_of_Mars

So its usual temp is the same as and colder than Antarctica... If you have to live in a pod for the rest of your life, how much fun is that?

Edited by seeder, 18 April 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#55    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

would be deadly to all life as we know it

not quiet true. there is some forms of life on earth (bacteria and lichens) that could probably survive the conditions on mars, especially bacteria, and especially underground. but otherwise a fair point.

nevertheless, first colonies rarely ever succeed but its the human will to keep trying until they do.

#56    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,267 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 18 April 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

not quiet true. there is some forms of life on earth (bacteria and lichens) that could probably survive the conditions on mars, especially bacteria, and especially underground. but otherwise a fair point.

nevertheless, first colonies rarely ever succeed but its the human will to keep trying until they do.

In fairness the wiki page covered that too

"Terraforming"

It may be possible to terraform Mars to allow a wide variety of living things, including humans, to survive unaided on Mars' surface.[6]  In April 2012, it was reported that some lichen and cyanobacteria survived and showed remarkable adaptation capacity for photosynthesis after 34 days in simulated Martian conditions in the Mars Simulation Laboratory (MSL) maintained by the German Aerospace Center

I think their use of the phrase life as we know it, probably 'generally' meant birds in the sky, fish in the water, and animals roaming around. Of course some bacterias can survive such conditions, heck we still dont even know if there are already bacteria/microbes in the soil, thats what the rovers may figure out. if that was the case that there is bacteria there, that might signal a huge no-no - depending  on their effect on humans.  Would you want to live on Anthrax Island for a few months??

"Anthrax is one of the best known agents of biological warfare - and possibly one of the most feared. The bacterium occurs naturally, in low levels, in some animals, but when it is inhaled by humans in the form of spores it is deadly"

The killing power of anthrax was demonstrated by British scientists during the Second World War when it was released on a tiny Scottish island to wipe out a flock of sheep.

The island, Gruinard, just off the mainland, in Gruinard Bay, half way between Ullapool and Gairloch in the Highlands, was so contaminated that it was deemed out-of-bounds for almost 50 years.

http://news.bbc.co.u...and/1457035.stm

Edited by seeder, 18 April 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#57    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,267 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

found a vid on how this is supposed to work...sending rovers to build habitats sounds a bit far fetched tho, but I guess not impossible

#58    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

after careful reading it it sounds dangerous first of all will the people who do decide it's worth the risks will they have the following.1)one will they have like a settlement like housing places there.2)how will they survive,3)what will they get to a least raise their chances to survive there in the first place?its sounds like suicide to me.

#59    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

We do have the tech. for a round trip.  But we would need to build a main ship in orbit.  Give it an ion engine, and be able to exit the ship to clean the engine screen.  Put a lander on it with enough fuel to take off.  This ship would need to be moduler.  But I agree we need to send colonists on the first trip.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#60    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,424 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

I just hope the Internet will come in Good there,How else would I post on U/M ? And they better send Lots of Hot Sauce ! ITs the only thing that covers up that rank Human taste ! :sk

This is a Work in Progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users