Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

British children 'unable to identify wild

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,044 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:48 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

More than half of British children can't identify a crocodile while just one in five can name four basic wild animals, a new study has found.

The shocking survey found that when asked to name a series of animals, more than half of children aged between four and 12 struggled to recognise a crocodile while 44 per cent were unable to identify a leopard.

Many children also had difficulty recognising gorillas and chimpanzees while others could not tell the difference between a male and female lion.

In another disturbing statistic that could perhaps explain the lack of animal knowledge, the research found nearly a quarter of children had never visited a zoo or animal park.

As a result, just one in five of the 1000 children surveyed were able to correctly identify up to four basic wild animals.

TV presenter and wildlife expert Michaela Strachan said the trend was shocking.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,117 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:53 PM

Wow I just about hit a deer a coyote a bear and a mountian lion on my way to work this morning LOL ok all I saw was a damn rabbit on the road.  Thats pretty bad statistic and I can't really put a lot of stock in it. Don't people in Britian like David Attenburrow ;)

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#3    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,233 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

am not surprised. i was roped into going on my nephews school trip and the kids couldn't even recognise a squirrel or even a duck. they couldn't even name the most common farm yard animals. but am not surprised.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#4    Cetacea

Cetacea

Poltergeist

• 2,352 posts

• "How inappropriate to call this planet Earth, when it is quite clearly Ocean."

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

That is really shocking. I sort of understand the leopard seeing how jaguar and cheetah look vaguely similar and either of those options would have been a 'wrong' answer and you wouldn't expect a four year old to know the difference but the rest is really scary!
Saying that I shouldn't be surprised, when I did my research at the bear sanctuary in Germany, one kid pointed at the wolves and went; Wow, mum, look at the tigers  :unsure2:  According to the keepers the wolves have also previously been described as badgers, foxes, dead huskies, hyenas and lions....
Similar thing when I did my BSc. at Chester Zoo, the otters were regularly identified as beavers and meerkats...
You have to wonder with the amount of information available, how kids can know so little? I mean zoos, books, even TV. I'm not saying Disney films are the way to learn your natural history but Jungle Book at least highlights the differences between wolves, tigers and bears...

"There is about as much educational benefit to be gained in studying dolphins in captivity as there would be studying mankind by observing prisoners held in solitary confinement" - Jacques Cousteau

"We're not unique, just at one end of the spectrum."

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,260 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

That is really sad, but it is also happening here in the states too. Some kids who live in cities don't ever know what a cow looks like.  We only have our selves to blame. As a parent you have to take the time to teach your kids about the natural world. I don't mean just take them to a zoo, but take them for a hike in the woods, take them camping and to a farm and show them were their food comes from. You will be amazed at how much fun it is to do that with your kids.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#6    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,117 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:24 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 05 November 2009 - 04:17 PM, said:

That is really sad, but it is also happening here in the states too. Some kids who live in cities don't ever know what a cow looks like.  We only have our selves to blame. As a parent you have to take the time to teach your kids about the natural world. I don't mean just take them to a zoo, but take them for a hike in the woods, take them camping and to a farm and show them were their food comes from. You will be amazed at how much fun it is to do that with your kids.

Good advise. Living in the Rockies then moving to Calgary or Cowtown as we call it were there is cattle ranches as far as the eye can see and beyond. I had a great time exploring and learning about my local wild life. My Aunt has a large ranch outside of town and for the life of me I can't rope a cow let alone a fence post LOL

#7    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,450 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

"British children 'unable to identify wild animals like crocodiles and leopards'"
Well, let's just hope that natural selection comes into play, and those who wouldn't recognise a croc if they tripped over one do trip over one one day, or a leopard. Either way, that'd be one less of the stupid to use up valuable oxygen.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#8    Bullseye

Bullseye

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:21 PM

The survey was carried out by videogame publisher THQ to mark the launch of childrens' game World of Zoo.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz0W1fV65RM

OK, why did they pay for this survey?,cynical old me,that's the first question I ask about any survey,poll etc,second question is,was it  cherrypicked  or truely representive .Surveys if done properly are not cheap,always a vested interest,go figure.

I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,but why not just take the safety labels off and let the issue resolve itself ?.

#9    DevilDogPratt

DevilDogPratt

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

• One
    Big
    A$$
    Mistake
    America

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:23 PM

that is just sad. why dont teachers stop teaching their fake global warming and green peace agendas and start teaching about the REAL world around us. one kid in my class was asked to draw a duck and drew a white body with an orange bill, which might not be such a big deal, but we live right next to a river and there are literally hundreds of ducks flying through there. yet he didnt know ducks looked any different than that. i drew a mallard for mine, with a green head and brown body, and he thought i was making a joke :rolleyes:

Posted Image
3-2 1-3 1-3 1-1 2-4 3-3

"THEY THAT GIVE UP ESSENTIAL LIBERTY TO OBTAIN A LITTLE TEMPORARY SAFETY, DESERVE NEITHER LIBERTY NOR SAFETY"
-BENJAMIN FRANKLIN 1759

#10    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,117 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:25 PM

View PostBullseye, on 05 November 2009 - 10:21 PM, said:

The survey was carried out by videogame publisher THQ to mark the launch of childrens' game World of Zoo.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz0W1fV65RM

OK, why did they pay for this survey?,cynical old me,that's the first question I ask about any survey,poll etc,second question is,was it  cherrypicked  or truely representive .Surveys if done properly are not cheap,always a vested interest,go figure.

Sounds like some independant marketing research, probably more acurate than an actual paid for study LOL

#11    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:16 AM

View PostDevilDogPratt, on 05 November 2009 - 10:23 PM, said:

that is just sad. why dont teachers stop teaching their fake global warming and green peace agendas and start teaching about the REAL world around us. one kid in my class was asked to draw a duck and drew a white body with an orange bill, which might not be such a big deal, but we live right next to a river and there are literally hundreds of ducks flying through there. yet he didnt know ducks looked any different than that. i drew a mallard for mine, with a green head and brown body, and he thought i was making a joke :rolleyes:

Wow conspiracy much?   Schools arn't teaching "fake global warming" and all that insane agenda you think.  Most of why teachers are having a hard time teaching is because their hands get tied by concervative soccor moms who don't what their kids learning the stuff we learned way back when.  I notice you don't seem to have an issue with the religious right trying to push their creationalist agenda into science/biology classes.. where these kids *SHOULD* be learning about animals and wildlife..  not what "God" did.  That's irrelivent in schools.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#12    Rhungobains

Rhungobains

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

• There's a moral to this story
    Though your cordwangle be poor -
    Keep your hands off others moulies,
    For it is against the law...

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:18 AM

View Post747400, on 05 November 2009 - 09:18 PM, said:

Well, let's just hope that natural selection comes into play, and those who wouldn't recognise a croc if they tripped over one do trip over one one day, or a leopard. Either way, that'd be one less of the stupid to use up valuable oxygen.

Isn't that a tad harsh? Can't we just improve their education by showing them pictures in books?

The man is mentally ill. I've seen him eat a plastic pie!

#13    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:21 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 05 November 2009 - 01:53 PM, said:

Wow I just about hit a deer a coyote a bear and a mountian lion on my way to work this morning LOL ok all I saw was a damn rabbit on the road.  Thats pretty bad statistic and I can't really put a lot of stock in it. Don't people in Britian like David Attenburrow ;)

I would be sad in the face had you hit a cougar =(  SAD IN THE FACE!! *points*

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#14    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,450 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:17 AM

View PostRhungobains, on 06 November 2009 - 03:18 AM, said:

Isn't that a tad harsh? Can't we just improve their education by showing them pictures in books?
perhaps, but my way might be more entertaining, and perhaps make good TV.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#15    Rhungobains

Rhungobains

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

• There's a moral to this story
    Though your cordwangle be poor -
    Keep your hands off others moulies,
    For it is against the law...

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:29 PM

View Post747400, on 06 November 2009 - 11:17 AM, said:

perhaps, but my way might be more entertaining, and perhaps make good TV.

That's a good point, actually.

The man is mentally ill. I've seen him eat a plastic pie!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users