Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is there a need for Spirituality?

Grimmie

Hey everyone. I am typing this up to get some opinions. I know a lot of people think religion is nothing but bad, and spirituality does not always equal religion, but is this something we need in some aspect? When they talk about wellness, they talk about being healthy spiritually, but this does require belief in a god. I feel like there is something to it.

Since I have quit drinking I feel like I have a void in my life. Often times I would drink by myself and just imagine things. I would have my own little worlds and fantasies. They went into such detail that I even have drawn maps of these worlds and have stuff written down. Without the drinking I have a hard time doing that. I have a hard time focusing and the imagination just is not there. I have trouble sleeping now because my brain is so scattered with different thoughts, going from one thing to another.

I want to start reading again, but I can't find a topic that I am overly passionate about. There are a lot of topics I want to read about but I am all over the place and there is nothing that is just pulling me in. I think part of the problem is I am content where I am as far as my understanding of the world and the universe. There is nothing that makes me feel like "i have to know."

In addition to that, I have no social life. I am with the kids all day and then spend time with the wife. I am craving something...spiritual. I need something to satisfy my mind and give me focus, something to help me relax.

I thought of Tai Chi, but I guess I would need to start learning that with an instructor. I don't know where to go and was wondering if anyone else has ideas.

I was wondering if anyone else has felt this way. I feel like a need community, or something more, something for my mind, that can fill the void that drinking clearly was. Does this sound normal? Do we all need something like this in our life, whether that is religion, or something else? It is just a new feeling to me and I am going crazy searching for an answer to it.

Thanks for your input.

• Like 3

If you want it to be put in more simple terms, I think "spirituality" is just another way of realizing that we are not just separate little islands; at the risk of sounding too cliche, we are all connected in one way or another. Society is one of them, our actions and attitudes affect not only ourselves but others around us.

There is no magical boogey-man that makes us do bad things nor is there a glowing sage that makes us do good; in fact if one feels that they can only do good if they are basically threatened into doing so then I think that there is a deep underlying issue.

Don't rely on alcohol, as you allude to have done, in order to do anything. Sounds to me like you are experiencing the symptoms and issues of withdrawal, you know, it takes time to recover from that and there will be times that you feel scattered because you have done injury to your body (including your brain) and all injuries need time to heal.

It sounds like you want to be inspired so why not try to find other means? Perhaps listen to music that you like, visit places that depict the kinds of artwork you like...there are lots of things one can do that doesn't involve drugs or psychological constraints.

Start someplace and take it slow and try not to get too discouraged. Rely on your mind and not drugs.

• Like 3

I think maybe i know where our coming from and were plodding along the same path. i quit the beer a couple years ago. since that time i feel a bit empty, i feel the void myself. The things i'd normally enjoy just dont hold the fun and adventure they had back in the drinking days Why? i wish i knew the answer.

Religions not an answer for me and ive never found a real interest in the spiritual side of life other than to ponder if it really exist. ive tried a few new things but nothing seems to tickle my fancy as a hobby. At times i see the only answer is to take up the beer again, which i havent nor do i plan on.

Is it i drank so long i dont know how to enjoy things without beer? Could be.....ive been told so. Let me know if you get an answer, maybe i'll then be able to find mine also. :yes:

• Like 3

If you want it to be put in more simple terms, I think "spirituality" is just another way of realizing that we are not just separate little islands; at the risk of sounding too cliche, we are all connected in one way or another. Society is one of them, our actions and attitudes affect not only ourselves but others around us.

There is no magical boogey-man that makes us do bad things nor is there a glowing sage that makes us do good; in fact if one feels that they can only do good if they are basically threatened into doing so then I think that there is a deep underlying issue.

Don't rely on alcohol, as you allude to have done, in order to do anything. Sounds to me like you are experiencing the symptoms and issues of withdrawal, you know, it takes time to recover from that and there will be times that you feel scattered because you have done injury to your body (including your brain) and all injuries need time to heal.

It sounds like you want to be inspired so why not try to find other means? Perhaps listen to music that you like, visit places that depict the kinds of artwork you like...there are lots of things one can do that doesn't involve drugs or psychological constraints.

Start someplace and take it slow and try not to get too discouraged. Rely on your mind and not drugs.

That makes sense. I guess I didn't consider long-term effects like this. I am really into working out and eating healthy right now, but I can't find anything to fill my mind when I am not working out.

I think maybe i know where our coming from and were plodding along the same path. i quit the beer a couple years ago. since that time i feel a bit empty, i feel the void myself. The things i'd normally enjoy just dont hold the fun and adventure they had back in the drinking days Why? i wish i knew the answer.

Religions not an answer for me and ive never found a real interest in the spiritual side of life other than to ponder if it really exist. ive tried a few new things but nothing seems to tickle my fancy as a hobby. At times i see the only answer is to take up the beer again, which i havent nor do i plan on.

Is it i drank so long i dont know how to enjoy things without beer? Could be.....ive been told so. Let me know if you get an answer, maybe i'll then be able to find mine also. :yes:

Thanks. Maybe the fun thing has a lot to do with it. I started drinking when I was 18 in Germany. My life before then, was...well crappy. The drinking got worse over the years. I didn't drink when it was time for business, you know, work, school, kids...but anything fun or activities since I was 18 really involved alcohol, I think...

I know God isn't the answer...I went to 1 AA meeting and it was basically like "give your life up to a higher power (God) and I was like NOPE. But I did study religion and I don't see it as a bad thing. I know there are many things other than a belief in a god.

You sound much like me. about 2 yrs ago I went to rehab for alcohol at the VA hospital and part of it was mandatory AA meetings, it was all about the 'higher' power and really turned me off also. Growing up i had a belly full of religion and need no more of that. :innocent: To bad you dont live nearby, we could go be bored together! hahahaha

Edited by jamesjr191

Do you have any Universalist Unitarian churches, they usually Pantheist - Humanist and offer a spirituality without the dogma. They usually have classes in things like meditation, yoga, Tai Chi and music.

• Like 2

Do you have any Universalist Unitarian churches, they usually Pantheist - Humanist and offer a spirituality without the dogma. They usually have classes in things like meditation, yoga, Tai Chi and music.

Not sure, but I might have to look into that. That might be something I could get into.

• Like 1

It's a matter of perspective. To humans in stone age they may feel the same as you do by neglecting the existence of black holes as a truth. They still think that black holes don't concern them even in the case (as an assumption) that black holes do affect their lives.

This thread might have been better called "Is there a need for alcohol" ? For some people, the answer seems to be yes. It is true to say though, that people who 'need' to drink, are very frequently those with a traumatic history of some sort, or at least the type of person that is perhaps more easily traumatized by adverse experiences, has not been able to process them satisfactorily, and needs alcohol to quell the inner turmoil. "Drowning your sorrows" is not an inaccurate saying, really. People with a low threshold of boredom, sensation seeking personalities, tending to be a little promiscuous perhaps, take to the drink when things that would keep them otherwise engaged, are absent. Maybe the sensation seeking and compulsive "busyness" too, is a way of displacing uncomfortable thoughts that rise up, perhaps the repressed, unresolved mental conflicts arising from past experiences. Habitual drinkers really are not happy people.

Edited by Habitat

Apparently there is judging by the billions of humans who follow some from of religion.

Someone once said there is a "God shaped vacuum" in everyone, and humans try to fill it with all sorts of things.

In any case worship of a Deity/Deities seems to be part of the human condition for most people around the globe.

• Like 1

Apparently there is judging by the billions of humans who follow some from of religion.

Someone once said there is a "God shaped vacuum" in everyone, and humans try to fill it with all sorts of things.

In any case worship of a Deity/Deities seems to be part of the human condition for most people around the globe.

The God vacuum arises because people can't see a rational explanation for "existence". And that is because ultimately, there isn't one.

for me, there is a frequent need for quiet sitting in a very dark room in near silence, just breathing and being...

for me, there is often a need for snuggling with my son, animals and wife...

I also have a distinct need for good sleep and clean, fresh food, sitting on the beach, walking in the woods, oh and music, big need for music...

as all of these things are spiritual, I'd say in my case, yes, there is a need of spirituality.

of course, I can't think of anything that is without spirit, so not sure how anything in my life could be without it.

• Like 1

This thread might have been better called "Is there a need for alcohol" ? For some people, the answer seems to be yes. It is true to say though, that people who 'need' to drink, are very frequently those with a traumatic history of some sort, or at least the type of person that is perhaps more easily traumatized by adverse experiences, has not been able to process them satisfactorily, and needs alcohol to quell the inner turmoil. "Drowning your sorrows" is not an inaccurate saying, really. People with a low threshold of boredom, sensation seeking personalities, tending to be a little promiscuous perhaps, take to the drink when things that would keep them otherwise engaged, are absent. Maybe the sensation seeking and compulsive "busyness" too, is a way of displacing uncomfortable thoughts that rise up, perhaps the repressed, unresolved mental conflicts arising from past experiences. Habitual drinkers really are not happy people.

I disagree with your assessment. This thread wasn't supposed to be about alcohol, it was about how I feel now that I don't have it. I am still learning about this new me and I am craving something for my mind. I am looking for something spiritual, if that makes sense. I was wondering if people felt the need for the same thing. Is that something we crave as humans? I didn't think I might have this feeling due to no longer having alcohol.

I don't really fit the mold you described. Drinking never came about because of past issues or hardships. It started when I was in Germany when I was 18. 18, able to drink, going to the clubs, hanging out at the dorms, drinking was a big thing when it came to fun. I am also not an unhappy person. I was for a while, but that had to do with my meds and not the alcohol.

I disagree with your assessment. This thread wasn't supposed to be about alcohol, it was about how I feel now that I don't have it. I am still learning about this new me and I am craving something for my mind. I am looking for something spiritual, if that makes sense. I was wondering if people felt the need for the same thing. Is that something we crave as humans? I didn't think I might have this feeling due to no longer having alcohol.

I don't really fit the mold you described. Drinking never came about because of past issues or hardships. It started when I was in Germany when I was 18. 18, able to drink, going to the clubs, hanging out at the dorms, drinking was a big thing when it came to fun. I am also not an unhappy person. I was for a while, but that had to do with my meds and not the alcohol.

Why did you quit drinking ?

Nicely said!! :tu: :tu:

Dawkins once described "spirituality" as "one can feel an essence of spirituality looking down an electron microscope and seeing these tiny cells, and then coming to the realisation that is what you are - billions of them." - Paraphrased, haven't got the direct quote on hand, but it immediately reminds me of your analogy.

• Like 1

Why did you quit drinking ?

Does that make a difference?

Hey everyone. I am typing this up to get some opinions. I know a lot of people think religion is nothing but bad, and spirituality does not always equal religion, but is this something we need in some aspect? When they talk about wellness, they talk about being healthy spiritually, but this does require belief in a god. I feel like there is something to it.

Since I have quit drinking I feel like I have a void in my life. Often times I would drink by myself and just imagine things. I would have my own little worlds and fantasies. They went into such detail that I even have drawn maps of these worlds and have stuff written down. Without the drinking I have a hard time doing that. I have a hard time focusing and the imagination just is not there. I have trouble sleeping now because my brain is so scattered with different thoughts, going from one thing to another.

I want to start reading again, but I can't find a topic that I am overly passionate about. There are a lot of topics I want to read about but I am all over the place and there is nothing that is just pulling me in. I think part of the problem is I am content where I am as far as my understanding of the world and the universe. There is nothing that makes me feel like "i have to know."

In addition to that, I have no social life. I am with the kids all day and then spend time with the wife. I am craving something...spiritual. I need something to satisfy my mind and give me focus, something to help me relax.

I thought of Tai Chi, but I guess I would need to start learning that with an instructor. I don't know where to go and was wondering if anyone else has ideas.

I was wondering if anyone else has felt this way. I feel like a need community, or something more, something for my mind, that can fill the void that drinking clearly was. Does this sound normal? Do we all need something like this in our life, whether that is religion, or something else? It is just a new feeling to me and I am going crazy searching for an answer to it.

Thanks for your input.

Martial arts, like tai chi, are fantastic for what you say you are lacking. There is nothing spiritual about it; all you need is a way to focus your mind and condense your thoughts. Martial arts are great for that. I began doing them years ago to work out anger issues, and I have become a much calmer, more focused, and well-rounded person because of it. It's got nothing to do with spirituality and has everything to do with mastery of your body.

I do a *lot* of martial arts, and have done so for many years. Tai Chi is a good starting point, but any Internal style would be good for you. Xingyi, Bagua, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, Qigong, or anything else that focuses on internal cultivation will do wonders for you.

If you have any further questions about martial arts, feel free to PM me.

• Like 4

Thanks for your input.

Tai Chi sounds great ( I was going to suggest Yoga ) ... ya gotta fill the void . It wont be easy at first, some effort and rearrangements .

Well done on getting this far! Things will change :tu:

PS ... search for a creative output , ya gotta have an 'earth wire' . Pottery, sculpture .... a guy up on the mountain near here gives blacksmithing lessons , oldschool ... I would love to do that ! But to many 'irons in the fire' already.

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 3

The God vacuum arises because people can't see a rational explanation for "existence". And that is because ultimately, there isn't one.

Meditation is a good place to start. Helps to quiet the chatter in your brain. Lots of great view on YouTube for mediation.

• Like 1

Tai Chi sounds great ( I was going to suggest Yoga ) ... ya gotta fill the void . It wont be easy at first, some effort and rearrangements .

Well done on getting this far! Things will change :tu:

PS ... search for a creative output , ya gotta have an 'earth wire' . Pottery, sculpture .... a guy up on the mountain near here gives blacksmithing lessons , oldschool ... I would love to do that ! But to many 'irons in the fire' already.

Hot Yoga is a great place to start........ I have seen what goes into and comes out of those buildings..........

• Like 2

I am craving something...spiritual. I need something to satisfy my mind and give me focus, something to help me relax.

From what I've read, you're not "content" because you're "craving something...spiritual." Spirituality doesn't satisfy earthly contentment, at least it's not my experience. Besides, "content" sounds vague. In fact, spirituality will rock your world. Since you mentioned Tai Chi, you need to acquaint yourself with Taoism. You cannot go beyond something without knowing its roots.

Also, it's always good to know other religious texts. Are you a Westerner? Christianity (which includes Gnosticism) has something similar to Tai Chi. You may want to check out Christian mysticism; this path is also big on meditation.

There's so much to say, and you've asked many deep questions that require extensive answers, as in volumes. One simply cannot answer them in one post.

Regarding community, UM is a community.

• Like 1

When I look at the sheer magnificience of the Universe, the sheer fact that I'm alive and conscious, trying to figure out the meaning of it all that's where spirituality kicks in. I can't help but wondering about the Supreme Intelligence which I believe is the all-encompassing, driving force behind nature.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

When I look at the sheer magnificience of the Universe, the sheer fact that I'm alive and conscious, trying to figure out the meaning of it all that's where spirituality kicks in. I can't help but wondering about the Supreme Intelligence which I believe is the all-encompassing, driving force behind nature.

LOL edited just in time..........

There is no "meaning" That is just a silly question. You can ask: 'What are the causal factors that lead to the existence of mountains ... life ... the universe? That is a sensible question, and that which Dawkin replies with each time someone rabbits on about the "meaning" of the Universe, there is no meaning, there is no purpose, the Universe doesn't care about you at all, it will go on existing with or with you, or the entire earth for that matter.

Utterly ridiculous to think the Universe exists "for us" and has "meaning" It exists like a sunset, it rises because the earth is revolving around it, not to make sure we are warm. One can love a Sunset, but it does not love you back.

The Universe is indeed magnificent, you impoverish our understanding with these inane philosophical viewpoints that mean nothing at all. Learn to appreciate it for what it is. It was not "created" for you.

Nature is a product of Physics. Everything exists because of Gravity, not some imaginary being.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

LOL edited just in time..........

There is no "meaning" That is just a silly question. You can ask: 'What are the causal factors that lead to the existence of mountains ... life ... the universe? That is a sensible question, and that which Dawkin replies with each time someone rabbits on about the "meaning" of the Universe, there is no meaning, there is no purpose, the Universe doesn't care about you at all, it will go on existing with or with you, or the entire earth for that matter.

Utterly ridiculous to think the Universe exists "for us" and has "meaning" It exists like a sunset, it rises because the earth is revolving around it, not to make sure we are warm. One can love a Sunset, but it does not love you back.

The Universe is indeed magnificent, you impoverish our understanding with these inane philosophical viewpoints that mean nothing at all. Learn to appreciate it for what it is. It was not "created" for you.

Nature is a product of Physics. Everything exists because of Gravity, not some imaginary being.

That's your beliefs. You're entitled to them. Just don't think everyone needs to agree with you (or Dawkins).

Where did I say that Universe ''exists for me'' ? I'm of the opinion that it is teeming with life.

Edited by TruthSeeker_