Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Britain topples US as most powerful nation

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,208 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

View Post747400, on 18 November 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

No, soft as in subtle, like a secret agent or ninja, rather than the gun-slinging go in with all guns blazing approach.
My ninja and secret agent friends would disagree. They definitely think of themselves as,quite hard....*titters*

All dragons know that story.
What was to be their hope became their doom; a spoiled ungrateful child was given a great gift and destroyed it!

#17    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,050 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

View Post747400, on 18 November 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

Yoiu just don't get this from Americans or indeed anyone else, even the famously self deprecating Canadians. Why do the British hate themselves so much?
   We dont hate ourselves, but these so called surveys really get me annoyed. We used to be a foremost World Power, but successive weak and inept Govt's have reduced us to a 3rd rate power.They sold off nearly all our heavy industry, ie:- shipbuilding,steel industry, the clothing industry including footwear.Merchant Navy,and a whole lot more.We cannot hope to think that we rank alongside the big Countries like the U.S.A etc, we are letting any old Tom,Dick or Harry come in and buy allsorts of items,including land, businesses, and even Castles, so thinking we match the big guys is complete fantasy,heck we couldnt even back up the Falklands if another rumble started down there without help from our allies, we are also Chopping our armed forces and conning other Countries into still thinking that we are great, I'm sick as a chocolate frog about these so called survey statements thought up by IDIOTS

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#18    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Knight of Sarcasm

• 8,751 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 18 November 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

So if Britain is soft power,the USA is hard....
Let's examine those two words,and how they are viewed by the powerful in the world...

Wow,you are soft .so soft and...melting ,limp,flaccid,mushy .....like jello .

Gosh ,you are hard...firm ....stiff....sturdy ....like a brick .

You gettin my drift here ?
Dunno about you, but I'd hate to eat a brick with my ice-cream.

#19    Cradle of Fish

Cradle of Fish

Alien Abducter

• 4,583 posts

• "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

What empire? Great Britain doesn't even control the entire British Isles. And if the UK even attempted to exert any control over the Commonwealth it would splinter overnight.

The empire is over, it's time to move on.

I am not a man, merely a parody of one.

#20    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

the empire died years ago..

china is the one to watch in the next 50 years..

return of the jedi..

#21    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,150 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:14 AM

The giant corporations own everything important and the banks launder the money effectively.  Nationalism is the highest form of Collectivism.  The human race is communicating like never before at lightning speed.  We're also breeding together more than ever.  We are one people, one Nation.. one planet under ®.

lol

Edited by acidhead, 19 November 2012 - 04:18 AM.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#22    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 9,247 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

View Postacidhead, on 19 November 2012 - 04:14 AM, said:

The giant corporations own everything important and the banks launder the money effectively.  Nationalism is the highest form of Collectivism.  The human race is communicating like never before at lightning speed.  We're also breeding together more than ever.  We are one people, one Nation.. one planet under ®.

lol

Made in China.  i.e. crap.

You reap what you sow.

(lol)

Edited by Eldorado, 19 November 2012 - 04:24 AM.

#23    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,050 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

View PostCradle of Fish, on 19 November 2012 - 01:47 AM, said:

What empire? Great Britain doesn't even control the entire British Isles. And if the UK even attempted to exert any control over the Commonwealth it would splinter overnight.

The empire is over, it's time to move on.
  Just a curious question ......Why are you still flying our flag in the corner of yours ?

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#24    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 19 November 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

Just a curious question ......Why are you still flying our flag in the corner of yours ?

Its because the Queen is still his head of state lol.

And hence there lies to problem - His military answer our Queen and she has the power to dissolve their parliment whenever she wishes.

#25    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 7,939 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

well i agree with the article surprise surprise i hear some say. - but the truth is the UK is very influential around the world. its a sad day when we cannot even recognise  just how we are viewed around the globe. i tell you one thing there are not may better than us beyond our shores. the international language for business is English. - from literature, philosophy, architecture, Science and technology, Art, Music, Cinema, Television the list goes on and on. to save time, just read wiki, http://en.wikipedia...._United_Kingdom

Why on earth we continue to put ourselves down is beyond me, Okay we have had weak political leadership. but hasnt the Olympics taught us anything? before the games much of what as been said in this thread was said. in short, were rubbish, an embarrassment. all of which is simply not true. after the Olympic games we said to the world now beat that!

Its about time we started to display some national pride, Fact is no other country in the history of the world has shaped the globe like the United Kingdom, -like it or not - the world we live in today is a direct result of that. All four corners of the world influenced by a small island off the coast of northern europe.

It really is time the History of all this is made compulsory in schools.

this self loathing the British nation is unique in this respect, we are the only people who like to be told how bad things are, who like to be told the worst.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#26    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,682 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

View PostEldorado, on 18 November 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

lol @ most 'soft-powerful'.  Most 'poofy' it used to be called.

'Poofy' = Do as I say or I'll rearrange the flowers in your window-box and criticize your curtains.

Now that's blatant disregard for human rights! ^_^

Edited by WoIverine, 19 November 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#27    Cradle of Fish

Cradle of Fish

Alien Abducter

• 4,583 posts

• "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 19 November 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

History mostly. Our nation was populated by English, Welsh, Scots and Irish, but also a lot of Italians, Greeks, Germans, Polish, French and Dutch. Regardless of background we are all Australian, and I believe within thirty years we'll be a Republic.

Great Britain can be great in the future, but it needs to forget about the past and focus on the future.

I am not a man, merely a parody of one.

#28    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostCradle of Fish, on 20 November 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

History mostly. Our nation was populated by English, Welsh, Scots and Irish, but also a lot of Italians, Greeks, Germans, Polish, French and Dutch. Regardless of background we are all Australian, and I believe within thirty years we'll be a Republic.

Great Britain can be great in the future, but it needs to forget about the past and focus on the future.

We could be great again very quickly.

All it takes is for the Monarch to dissolve the parliments of Austrailia, Canada and New Zealand. Thats half the empire put back together. You know you want it too as in your heart you know you're British.

Funnily enough I really dont see why the UK, Austrailia, Canada, New Zealand and the US cant sort out their problems. The Queen has little influence these days so its not like they can be taxed without representation. The empire of Great Britain and the United States has a nice ring to it.

#29    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,478 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 20 November 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

We could be great again very quickly.

All it takes is for the Monarch to dissolve the parliments of Austrailia, Canada and New Zealand. Thats half the empire put back together. You know you want it too as in your heart you know you're British.

Funnily enough I really dont see why the UK, Austrailia, Canada, New Zealand and the US cant sort out their problems. The Queen has little influence these days so its not like they can be taxed without representation. The empire of Great Britain and the United States has a nice ring to it.

And the monarch is going to force the dissolution of the parliament how?

Because if the Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians show her majesty the finger there is hardly anything she can do about it. Nor the rest of the "British Empire" for the matter.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#30    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 18 November 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

in your dreams.

I'm not dreaming it.  I distinctly remember opening this thread and posting the relevant article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users