Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Russia could build manned lunar base

moon roscosmos moon base

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    Farmer77

Farmer77

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

• "Science has done its utmost to prevent whatever science has done" - Charles Fort

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:53 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 09 October 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

????

JFK tired what?

How is his assassination anything to do with lunar exploration?

Your comment makes no sense that I can determine.

Ugggg Kennedy proposed sharing the moon race with the Russians

http://www.history.c...ion-to-the-moon

I don't suffer from insanity, I rather enjoy it

#17    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

There are hundreds of things any given president decides that could be cited as reasons for someone wanting and even having strong motive to assassinate.  Proves nothng.

#18    Farmer77

Farmer77

Psychic Spy

• 1,610 posts

• "Science has done its utmost to prevent whatever science has done" - Charles Fort

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:25 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 10 October 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

There are hundreds of things any given president decides that could be cited as reasons for someone wanting and even having strong motive to assassinate.  Proves nothng.

Wow you're a laugh a minute aren't you? My original post was a joke, my second a link to the story to clear up some confusion about history.

#19    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• 1,769 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:46 AM

I think the Russians will be able to do this faster then us Americans

#20    Farmer77

Farmer77

Psychic Spy

• 1,610 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:48 AM

View Postcoolguy, on 10 October 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

I think the Russians will be able to do this faster then us Americans

Certainly seems they are financially in better shape

#21    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,296 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostFarmer77, on 10 October 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

Certainly seems they are financially in better shape

In theory, but with their corruption with money how much of any money they can afford will go on the project?

Edited by skookum, 10 October 2013 - 07:19 AM.

Posted Image

#22    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,679 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostHatake Kakashi, on 08 October 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

For the sake of science, I hope this actually works out.

Let's start another space-race.

First one to build a manned lunar space station wins. :D

Well, let no-one forget the Chinese have already stated they want a base on the moon, so did the Japanese in fact, and if the Chinese plans go well they could be landing a probe by the end of this year

quote: ""The decision by the Obama administration in 2010 to abandon NASA's plans to return to the moon has presented an opportunity for China, which some experts say could allow them to become the second nation to put a man on the moon by 2020".

http://edition.cnn.c...pace/index.html

So yes a joint effort will be best but who knows how it will pan out?  Besides, its all well and good having plans, but the issue of dealing with the moon dust is quite a hurdle.  It may just be dust  - but its a number 1 hazard in a lot of respects

quote:

"Fortunately for the astronauts, their contact with lunar dust was short enough that it didn't cause any major problems. But explorers living on a moon base for weeks or even months at a time are not likely to get away so clean".

Under prolonged exposure, the explorers would be at risk for everything from mechanical failures in spacesuits and airlocks to lung disease, said researchers last week at a NASA workshop focused on the issue.

http://www.wired.com...s/2005/04/67110

typos

Edited by seeder, 10 October 2013 - 12:52 PM.

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#23    Stegosaurus

Stegosaurus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

• "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science."

Edwin Hubble

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

I would love to be a part of a lunar base. How cool.

#24    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,650 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:17 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 08 October 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

I couldn't agree more.

Actually, let's not.

The last space race resulted in unnecessary duplication of resources. The rush:-) ,
for each side to be first led to the deaths of the Apollo 1 crew of Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee for the USA and to Vladimir Komarov, commander of Soyuz 1 for the Soviet Union.

The ISS demonstrates the advantages of working together. Let's :-) :-) :-)  that lesson and explore the Moon together.

We'll have to the usa doesn't have a launch rocket big enough.hey on't have the money.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#25    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,150 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

View Postdanielost, on 11 October 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

We'll have to the usa doesn't have a launch rocket big enough.hey on't have the money.

Actually no one currently has a rocket large enough, but NASA is working on the Space Launch System, which will be the most powerful launcher ever constructed and SpaceX is working on the Falcon Heavy. With in the next 5-6 years the USA will have two rockets large enough.

As for Russia not having the money, that is no longer true. It is an oil and gas rich nation. Roscosmos is no longer struggling financially as it was a decade ago. The Russians are currently working on a new manned spacecraft to replace the Soyuz and the Angara family of launchers to replace several of it's older launch vehicles. It is also working on a Saturn V class launch vehicle.

The Russian problem at the moment is not money it is reliability. NASA had similar problems a few years back. Just as NASA solved these problems so will Roscosmos.

Whilst I personally believe a joint programme of exploration would be preferable, the Russians don't need the USA and the USA does not need Russia.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#26    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,650 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

It may come down to a race.  This time the prize will be total domination of the planet.

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#27    Parsec

Parsec

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:01 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 09 October 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

That is a rather cynical view. Much scientific research and exploration is undertaken with neither military or financial advantage being the goal. The ISS and the Large Hadron Collider, polar exploration and the ascent of Everest immediately come to mind.

It is in man's nature to explore, whether that be physically exploring new frontiers or pushing the limits of scientific knowledge. A return to the Moon is inevitable, it is a matter of when, not if.

At the moment Helium-3 is a red herring. It may have a use in fusion reactors in the future. Most most experts believe that working fusion reactors are still fifty years away. Currently 3He has no practical use and therefore no commercial value. It is possible that I will live long enough to see Lunar mining, but it is unlikely that it will be 3He that will be mining for.

View PostHatake Kakashi, on 09 October 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

I don't disagree with you.

If all of humanity pooled their resources together instead of competing, we could see some major scientific advancements.

Although competition helps to keep technology on its toes.

I partially disagree with you: competition (at least if we're talking between nations) helps keep politics on its toes, not technology.
Research is selfsustained, it's the improvement of the current status, a further step ahead.
It's lurking round the corner.

If it wasn't for politics, I don't say that the moon would still be untouched, but probably we'd arrived there much later.
Unfortunately, in this world politics moves the money and decides where it goes, not science.

What Waspie writes is true, but it's also true that without a political push great endeavors travel at a much slower speed.

#28    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,150 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostParsec, on 12 October 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

If it wasn't for politics, I don't say that the moon would still be untouched, but probably we'd arrived there much later.
Unfortunately, in this world politics moves the money and decides where it goes, not science.

We may have arrived there much later, but we would probably have stayed for good.

Apollo was not about exploration, it was about beating the Soviet Union. Once it had achieved it's goal it was cancelled. An international, science lead programme would not have lost interest immediately.

Apollo was the right idea for the wrong reasons. It was NASA's finest hour but NASA has been suffering for it ever since. NASA has had no real sense of direction since Apollo ended. It is pushed and pulled around on the whim of successive administrations, all of whom only look to the next election, not the long term future.

In terms of NASA I have to agree with what Winston Churchill said:

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#29    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,672 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

ITs not the H3 we should be worried about ! Its the H2O  remember Water Is not free !

This is a Work in Progress!

#30    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,650 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 12 October 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

We may have arrived there much later, but we would probably have stayed for good.

Apollo was not about exploration, it was about beating the Soviet Union. Once it had achieved it's goal it was cancelled. An international, science lead programme would not have lost interest immediately.

Apollo was the right idea for the wrong reasons. It was NASA's finest hour but NASA has been suffering for it ever since. NASA has had no real sense of direction since Apollo ended. It is pushed and pulled around on the whim of successive administrations, all of whom only look to the next election, not the long term future.

In terms of NASA I have to agree with what Winston Churchill said:

As I hace said before any company supported by the govrnment dis in the end.

Let's hope planet x can go th distance.  Let the gvernment play traffic control.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users