Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Clear differences between Foods

questionmark

Organic food has more of the antioxidant compounds linked to better health and lower levels of toxic metals and pesticides, according to the most comprehensive scientific analysis to date.

The international scientific team behind the new work suggests that switching from regular to organic fruit and vegetables could give the same benefits as adding one or two portions of the "five a day" currently recommended.

The team, led by Prof Carlo Leifert at the University of Newcastle, concludes that there are "statistically significant, meaningful" differences, with a range of antioxidants being "substantially higher" – between 19% and 69% – in organic food. It is the first study to demonstrate clear and wide-ranging differences between organic and conventional fruits, vegetables and cereals.

Read more

• Like 1

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• Mikko-kun

• rashore

• George Ford

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad they cost like dingley dong. Well at least growing them for your own use isn't illegal yet :gun:

Yeah you can't grow them just anywhere by law... some people tried it here in the park, officials stepped in before they could harvest a damn. But being regulated to hell when it's property you legally own, ain't right. I can understand the fertilizer regulations sure, and aesthetical reasons to an extent. I guess it's because people want to preserve the whole neighborhood's image so their property had more resale value, I can't see any other legally and common-sensibly valid reason for aesthetic nazism.

948462-facepalm_4.jpg

Was my first thought tho.

Yeah you can't grow them just anywhere by law... some people tried it here in the park, officials stepped in before they could harvest a damn. But being regulated to hell when it's property you legally own, ain't right. I can understand the fertilizer regulations sure, and aesthetical reasons to an extent. I guess it's because people want to preserve the whole neighborhood's image so their property had more resale value, I can't see any other legally and common-sensibly valid reason for aesthetic nazism.

948462-facepalm_4.jpg

Was my first thought tho.

I can understand them banning growing veg in a communal park! You let it happen once with a group of sensible well meaning people and 3 years from now you'll have gypsies setting up their camps in parks and turning the whole park into a farm.

I'm growing tomatoes for the 1st time in my garden this year, only three plants but they seem a bit small so far. Fingers crossed they turn out ok.

One thing I never understand is those on benefits that expect hand outs for everything and are unwilling to get a job, they moan and complain that they are overweight cos they can only afford cheap food like chips (fries) and stuff. Yet tens of thousands of them have both a front and a back garden but they are unwilling to grow something simple like potatoes or peas. In Cuba most people households have a few vegetables and also have 2-3 chickens. The then have a ready supply of fresh quality food to eat and trade with.

It's not just community parks. There have been several cases lately of homeowners wanting to grow veggies in their yard, and being told by the city they have to have a lawn instead. And many homeowner associations don't allow veggie gardening to a great extent or completely because it does not match their scheme.

Fortunately, urban farming is taking off as well, and there are still lots of places where people can indeed grow their own produce.