Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Halal and kosher food labelling

Still Waters

Shoppers will be told how their meat was killed, with all halal products required to carry labels explaining the method used to slaughter the animal, a minister has suggested.

George Eustice, an environment minister, has given the clearest signal yet that the Government will introduce compulsory labelling of halal or kosher products.

http://www.telegraph...een-killed.html

Its high time to STOP halal and kosher practices from slashing a live animals throat. Its dark ages and barbaric IMO

• Like 5

hmmm...please click on the correct answer to continue reading the article?

• Like 1

Well that's just.. weird. I mean, I can understand wanting to know if something is Halal or Kosher or not, but... If they are going to put on the labels how anything is slaughtered, they should include all slaughtering practices on all meats.

• Like 2

Its high time to STOP halal and kosher practices from slashing a live animals throat. Its dark ages and barbaric IMO

Here in America we already have Kosher seals on most all of our products. That little U with the circle around it is everywhere. Like 98-99% of our population even cares, but the 98% do pay for it in their food costs. Unwittingly at that. Ignorance is bliss.

600px-Ou_kosher.svg_-600x420.jpg

What does this even mean? How do you slaughter Ketchup?

I wonder how many Animal Cruelty charges would be brought against someone slitting a dog or cat's throat - Oh, I forgot, this is in the name of Religion :td:<_<

• Like 3

Well that's just.. weird. I mean, I can understand wanting to know if something is Halal or Kosher or not, but... If they are going to put on the labels how anything is slaughtered, they should include all slaughtering practices on all meats.

It could ruin your appetite if it said: the animal has been intoxicated by narcotic gas and then his throat was slit, or was stamped on its head with a bolt gun and the its throat was slit....

• Like 2

It could ruin your appetite if it said: the animal has been intoxicated by narcotic gas and then his throat was slit, or was stamped on its head with a bolt gun and the its throat was slit....

one of the saddest things i seen on tv was a chicken farm, not the type were they raise chickens, but were they hatch chickens to supply the farms, thousands of eggs in incubators. they hatch and you have the fluffy little chicks. - just tipped onto a conveyor belt and quickly processed by hand according to sex. the hens go onto to be packed in boxes and sold. - The males, the cocks were of no use so they get put in a vacuum chamber and the air sucked out, leaving them gasping until dead. these were then sold as food for reptiles etc... sad as hell seeing them gasping for life. im sure if we were made aware of how all our meat is "manufactured or we had to do the killing ourselves, vast swathes of the population would be vegetarian, which would be a good thing in battle against climate change/destruction of the environment. when you consider the land needed for meat compared to crops.

Video does not show DEATH. but skip to 2 minutes to see how they are handled.

• Like 3

I wonder, is there a way to kill living being that is not barbaric? Killing is barbaric, especially on a massive scale that is happening at this planet. By just looking how do chickens get raised and killed, how every other mass consumed meat comes to our table... All that those animals go trough... Cruelty is weak word to describe all of that and it all makes me wonder again, we can make distinction between 'the ways of killing'.

You, mr.A, you kill in a civilized way and while killing you show compassion for those that you kill. But you, mr.B, you are completely different story! You kill and you show no compassion before turning your butchers knife towards next animal which is in death row.

Its all just replacing from hollow to empty ( place ). Or '' iz supljeg u prazno ''.

• Like 4

I think clear labeling on how the meat is slaughtered is a good idea. Give people the choice.

Although I was vegetarian for a long time I do eat a little meat now. However maybe some people would decide they no longer enjoy eating meat knowing how it is killed?

• Like 2

I think clear labeling on how the meat is slaughtered is a good idea. Give people the choice.

Although I was vegetarian for a long time I do eat a little meat now. However maybe some people would decide they no longer enjoy eating meat knowing how it is killed?

Yeah, that. All of this are just measures taken to secure industry and their profits, people are just manipulated to think that someone of all those 'officials' cares about animal rights.

Step 1 : Make sure profits will be made

Step 2 : Hide that fight for profits under some kind of high moral thing ( animal cruelty in this case )

And, at the end, enjoy you income while you have angel circle above your company logo :)

Here in America we already have Kosher seals on most all of our products. That little U with the circle around it is everywhere. Like 98-99% of our population even cares, but the 98% do pay for it in their food costs. Unwittingly at that. Ignorance is bliss.

600px-Ou_kosher.svg_-600x420.jpg

What does this even mean? How do you slaughter Ketchup?

Lol Yamato.. the U means Union. It stands for one of the groups, much like the K stands for another one of the groups. Both groups observe what all can be in a Kosher kitchen, not just meat products. That's why you will see a U, or K or even sometimes pareve. That's also why you see Kosher salt on the shelf- it's cut differently than table or canning salt for one, and it's manufactured under observation practices for another.

its all business sense or cents ~ the Middle Eastern power spenders are carving a big slice out of the global consumer numbers pie ~ to supply that market you must qualify for Halal certification ~

~

• Like 3

Lol Yamato.. the U means Union. It stands for one of the groups, much like the K stands for another one of the groups. Both groups observe what all can be in a Kosher kitchen, not just meat products. That's why you will see a U, or K or even sometimes pareve. That's also why you see Kosher salt on the shelf- it's cut differently than table or canning salt for one, and it's manufactured under observation practices for another.

Not what the letter stands for, but for what purpose is this observation of our ketchup and beans? If it's quality or cleanliness or something, everyone's already interested in that. We already have that covered. Many Jews/Muslims don't even care whether something is Kosher/Halal or not, they eat it anyway, and no harm done.

It's a group, okay, and is that group paying for this? Can these two religious certifications overlap? Based on the criteria I'm reading to get the seal in the first place, I would say no. For instance, if you slaughter an animal in the name of any other God but Allah it can't be Halal. This would seem to present a problem as these seals become mutually exclusive. And could a previously Kosher product become Halal because it was inspected/blessed by an Imam instead? Or is the product stuck on what it's certified as already? I'm not sure about such groups sparring with each other over our food and driving up costs even more over this kind of religious-based marketing that 99% of our populations couldn't care less about.

What about what's good for the environmentalists kitchen? Should they sell their influence to the food companies too, to increase sales? What about political groups? John Heinz Kerry ketchup wouldn't get the R seal that's for sure. There's no end to what groups we could come up with, at least until the item became unaffordable or we run out of room for letters on the packaging.

I think third_eye is right, this is about money. That's probably the answer I was looking for.

• Like 1

Hypocrites. Has anyone seen how animals are treated in farms and abattoires?

Atleast with Halal meat, a blessing is given to the animal.

• Like 2

Hypocrites. Has anyone seen how animals are treated in farms and abattoires?

Atleast with Halal meat, a blessing is given to the animal.

Yeah, blessing like a 'thank you'. Something like native Americans were doing before hunting season, saying thanks to Buffalo's with ceremony. But, most important part of Halal process is that animal blood gets out of body and there will be no clotted blood all over piece of meat that you just bought. Blood contains everything, harmful things too.

As for killing, if we all won't became vegetarians then it won't ever stop. I would not dare to look in meat factory. Butchers kill with electricity, among other things. Acid is used too, and where it goes.. In blood of animal and finally on someones table. That is what Halal is about primarily, Muslims are forbidden to consume blood. Only thing that i don't agree with is about animals feeling no pain, of course that they feel pain when their throat is sliced.

• Like 1

Yeah, blessing like a 'thank you'. Something like native Americans were doing before hunting season, saying thanks to Buffalo's with ceremony. But, most important part of Halal process is that animal blood gets out of body and there will be no clotted blood all over piece of meat that you just bought. Blood contains everything, harmful things too.

As for killing, if we all won't became vegetarians then it won't ever stop. I would not dare to look in meat factory. Butchers kill with electricity, among other things. Acid is used too, and where it goes.. In blood of animal and finally on someones table. That is what Halal is about primarily, Muslims are forbidden to consume blood. Only thing that i don't agree with is about animals feeling no pain, of course that they feel pain when their throat is sliced.

Sorry I misread you just now (edit)

There's nothing wrong with blessing an animal and giving thanks for providing the meat source. There's something magical about it, but this goes back to before Islam ever appeared. It's a pagan practice. Animals were sacrificed, and it happened during Yule.

I'm against the slaughter and ill treatment of animals in farms and slAUGHTERHOUSES. I don't care if I'm made to be vegetarian if supermarkets and local farms went out of business because I wouldn't bring myself to hurt anyone. Yes they do suffer stress and cry in slaughter. It's not worth thinking about.

Edited by Red Moon
  • Like 1

This won't apply to Pork, Ham, or Bacon.

The more I learn about the disgusting ways in which people factory farm and then slaughter animals, the happier I am to be vegetarian.and yes, I do think that people should know how the animal was killed. Why not?

• Like 2