Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why Do Grammar Mistakes Upset People?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#91    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

gimcrack

• 10,440 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

http://www.dailymail...RS-reports.html

Head teacher advertises for someone to check the teachers' grammar, spelling etc mistakes!

http://www.dailymail...web-forums.html

This too ^ ^ , is just cheating ...... plain and simple. We're all doooomed, I tell you! DOOMED!

Edited by ouija ouija, 22 November 2012 - 11:21 PM.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#92    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,020 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 22 November 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

http://www.dailymail...web-forums.html

This too ^ ^ , is just cheating ...... plain and simple. We're all doooomed, I tell you! DOOMED!
this is shameful
such a rip off for those students who fall behind because of inflated marking. if you don't know something you don't know it and you cannot build on something you don't know, hence your learning capabilities are severly crippled.

#93    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,605 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

View PostKazoo, on 02 November 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

I'm not talking about smart asses or people who are being witty correcting the grammar of others.

I'm talking about people who just get angry and feel the irrational need to correct everything to the point it upsets them. Why is this? Is it some form of OCD?  Maybe bad grammar symbolizes a sort of disrespect?  

I'm not trying to be smart like "lul grammar nazi stupid". I'm seriously curious why.

Yes, it's a form of OCD. And I am poor on correct grammer.
I have a friend who, rambling grammatically incorrect statements countered me, proclaiming, "listen to what I mean, not what I'm saying"

#94    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,313 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Because some people are unnecessarily anal that's why. I could care less about someone's grammer. If I can't understand them, I'll ask. 90 % of the time when people turn on my grammer it's because they cannot compete within the actual argument. It becomes a useful ad hominim to make themselves feel better.

92% of the time, I then go back and point out the myriad of grammatical flaws in their complaint about my grammer. This really makes them angry.

People with their nose in the air have no business makeing mistakes of their own.

Edited by Seeker79, 23 November 2012 - 05:03 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#95    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,313 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostJGirl, on 23 November 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

this is shameful
such a rip off for those students who fall behind because of inflated marking. if you don't know something you don't know it and you cannot build on something you don't know, hence your learning capabilities are severly crippled.
Missed some capitalization there along with proper sentence structure,, and your comma belongs after "something" not really after "hence" although a comma after "hence" could be optional.  There also needs to be another comma after "it".

You remember your coordinating conjunction rules don't you. :D

---- just haveing fun----

Edited by Seeker79, 23 November 2012 - 05:15 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#96    _Only

_Only

• 6,672 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Posted Image

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#97    CuriousGreek

CuriousGreek

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• Dang!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostJGirl, on 02 November 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

grammar isn't as big a deal to me as a message filled with simple spelling errors.
it's one thing to have a few typos, or spell a word or two wrong here and there, but illiteracy is a major problem that is being swept under the rug - not just on the internet, but in all aspects of life.
that is why it bothers me as much as it does.
i understand completely that english is not everyone's first language, and i am  not referring to those people.
Illiteracy is really something, that bugs me out.

View PostKazoo, on 02 November 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

I'm not talking about smart asses or people who are being witty correcting the grammar of others.

I'm talking about people who just get angry and feel the irrational need to correct everything to the point it upsets them. Why is this? Is it some form of OCD?  Maybe bad grammar symbolizes a sort of disrespect?  

I'm not trying to be smart like "lul grammar nazi stupid". I'm seriously curious why.
It's not irrational and i'll tell you why. Some months ago i met a woman online in Facebook. I was all excited, because i like meeting new people, except that one thing really annoyed me . This woman was making at least 2 misspellings in every single word she wrote. We were both Greeks, but i had a very hard time in understanding what she was writing. My eyes couldn't help but hurt after i was reading her replies. Illiteracy can't make me dislike a person, but it is a major problem. I do not judge these people, as i always tend to be patient, but it really bugs me to see so many mistakes in one's writing. It's not disrespect, but it is really annoying!

Edited by CuriousGreek, 29 November 2012 - 02:58 PM.

Αν ανάμεσα σ’ όλον τον κόσμο,
νιώθεις πως δεν υπάρχουνε λύσεις,
τότε μόνο δυο μάτια μπορούνε,
να σε κάνουν να θέλεις να ζήσεις.

#98    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,426 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

I find it interesting that there are so many people here bothered by what others believe in or find important.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#99    alibongo

alibongo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostTimonthy, on 03 November 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

I am not joking when I say that I have stopped pursuing a couple of girls I've been interested in because of their grammar.

Does that make me a bad person?

Edit: I don't usually make mention of grammar in here because we have a broad mix of people who don't necessarily use English as their first language and I'm sure I make mistakes too. (Although if someone writes a horrendous post I might mention it in a 'niceish' way)
Wow, so bad grammar prevents stalking!
BTW, you don't know how to spell "Timothy".

#100    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

I only get mad when I can't understand somebody. I like communication quick and simple because I tend to go on tangents and god awful rants. I figure if people can't understand why somebody is doing something different then they pounce. Why should grammar be held to different standards? People want everything to be faster and more efficient. I figure it's easier by not complaining about it, and if I really need help to understand them I ask.

But if your following a set of rules to make sure I don't explode well I'm going to be on your ass to make sure you get that right. I don't think I'd be fond of exploding. :yes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users