Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do you think of the Mokele Mbembe?

Sabrina Reptile Lover

I think that there is a good chance that it is a small speices of some sort of sauropod dinosaur. No one has really gone far into the swamps of the Congo. I think it would be cool to have a picture of one, but I don't think anyone should try to domesticate them or anything. Do you think mokele mbembe could still be out there?

I think the probability of a dinosaur surviving extinction is pretty unlikely , But there is a small possibility . I makes you wonder how people living in a jungle pick out what they've seen out of a book and draw it in the sand .

I definitely think there's a chance that it exists. The fact that natives were able to pick it out of a book, and that the jungles in Congo are still relatively unexplored, make it seem fairly plausible to me.

I think it probably is a real animal,but probably quite different to what it's supposed to be.

The Gorilla was meant to be an ogre originally,and it turned out to be an ape.

I seriously doubt it's a dinosaur.What it could be,I have no idea

It will not be a Sauropod Dinosaur. In older threads I have mentioned that the Sauropod dinosaur hass arranged digits, more like the foot of a horse, as opposed to a carpal spread, like your hand, or the foot of a Rhino. A Sauropod would just sink into the mud.

Best option is some new type of aquatic Rhino, mundane option is we are looking for a garden variety Rhino. The last two Marcy/Milt expeditions were major fizzers and the Newmac expedition appears to have failed miserably.

Due to irreconcilable differences, Joe Marrero has decided to completely withdraw from the Newmac Expedition. Marrero says that due to disagreements on some decisions that were made in late June, he had no choice but to withdraw all support for the expedition before he had a chance to fly into Brazzaville.

I am disappointed on how the expedition was managed and found it necessary to severe my involvement in the expedition. I wish Stephen and Sam the best of luck on their adventure.

– Joe Marrero

LINK

Joe seems to be getting a new expedition together. Cannot say I understand his motivation.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

I really doubt it's a dinosaur. Dinosaurs went extinct millions of years ago and if some did survive, they would've most likely evolved by now. And as said above, sauropods aren't adapted to living in muddy water.

But I believe in the possibility that a new animal could be in the forests of the Congo.

• Like 1

I really doubt it's a dinosaur. Dinosaurs went extinct millions of years ago and if some did survive, they would've most likely evolved by now. And as said above, sauropods aren't adapted to living in muddy water.

But I believe in the possibility that a new animal could be in the forests of the Congo.

Actually, some did survive and evolve. ;)

de_blue_hen_chicken.jpg

• Like 2

Oh yeah, ha ha. You're right! Excuse my mistake then :D

• Like 1

It would be nice to think there were some giant dinosaurs out there. I'm more inclined to think it's something we already know of though. Hippo, Rhino, elephant, crocodile. maybe some undiscovered version of one of those things

I agree mostly with Psyche101. If it is real, it is almost certainly a mammal and not a dinosaur. It could be a large reptile, but again, not a dinosaur. Dinosaurs were a specialized branch of animals, and birds are the only left overs of that branch. There are no gigantic, four legged, featherless, aquatic birds that I know of, but there are several large mammals that live large percentages of their time in the water. IE, hippopotomi.

• Like 1

The crocodile is evolved from the dinosaur right ?

The crocodile is evolved from the dinosaur right ?

No, it is not. They evolved at the same time, and Crocodilians outlived Dinosaurs.

They are both Archosaurs, and both come from a common ancestor, in the clade of Archosauria, represented today by birds and crocodiles. This is again broken down to two main clades, Pseudosuchia, which includes crocodilians and their extinct relatives, and Avemetatarsalia, which includes birds and their extinct relatives (such as non-avian dinosaurs and pterosaurs).

LINKS:

Archosauria

Pseudosuchia

Avemetatarsalia

Did Crocodiles Descend From Dinosaurs?

• Like 1

For there to be one living sauropod there would have to be many.. or had to have been many at on point to have a breeding population of something that big would not go unnoticed... i dont care how remote.... indegenious people would be able to take you to the area in which said creatures are said to exist.. but rather they draw pictures in the dirt... why... perhaps because explorers/people go there and point them out from a book and ask if they have seen them.... maybe they are seeing them for the first time in the book and just find it rather amusing to see the "new" people go bananas over a picture drawn in the mud... im sure they have a sense of humor too... you know like a "hey want to see something funny.. watch what what they do when i draw this picture"... i know i might do the same if someone came onto my land looking for some strange creature.................. but in anycase.. no sorry cant say that i believe the mokele mbembe is an actualy dinosaur remnant.. more likely a case of mistaken identity

Edited by Overdueleaf

For there to be one living sauropod there would have to be many.. or had to have been many at on point to have a breeding population of something that big would not go unnoticed... i dont care how remote.... indegenious people would be able to take you to the area in which said creatures are said to exist.. but rather they draw pictures in the dirt... why... perhaps because explorers/people go there and point them out from a book and ask if they have seen them.... maybe they are seeing them for the first time in the book and just find it rather amusing to see the "new" people go bananas over a picture drawn in the mud... im sure they have a sense of humor too... you know like a "hey want to see something funny.. watch what what they do when i draw this picture"... i know i might do the same if someone came onto my land looking for some strange creature.................. but in anycase.. no sorry cant say that i believe the mokele mbembe is an actualy dinosaur remnant.. more likely a case of mistaken identity

Exactly, the drawings are for show.

When Sir Henry Johnston found pygmy's were being kidnapped for exhibition, he rescued those he knew of, the the grateful people gave him skin and bones of an Okapi as thanks because he expressed an interest in the animal. Not a drawing in the dirt. This confirmed the Okapi as a relative of the Giraffe, not as suspected a horse, and it is now known officially as Okapia Johnstoni.

Ive just had a look in my cryptozoology bible. Apparently it was first described by a band of pygmies to an German expedition in 1913 as being the size of an elephant, with a long flexible neck (a trunk maybe?) and a alligator's tail. The name Mokele-mbembe was the pygmys' name for it, which means the One Who Stops the Flow of Rivers.

Further more. The beast doesn't like hippo's and will kill them on sight, and as attested by cryptozoologist Roy Mackal, hippos are never found in areas where Mokele-mbembe is said the live. (how do they kill them then?)

In 1981 Mackal was told by a tribesman that his people had to build huge spiked gates in the river the stop the monsters from spoiling their fishing there, such was their interaction with the creature.

There is simply no chance for it to be a sauropod. They were particularly ill-suited for both semi-aquatic and forest life, with their long, inflexible necks and tails, massive weight and foot anatomy. Also, there is no evidence that any non-avian dinosaur populations survived the K-T event and the ecological niches where sauropods would fit into are already filled by the African forest elephant and the okapi, among others.

I would also discount the rhino hypothesis. We know of no forest-dwelling rhinos from Africa and due to the immense price one can get for rhino horns these days, I'm pretty sure poachers would have jumped onto what must be the healthiest rhino population of the continent.

I think the mokele mbembe craze is due to overzealous Westerners misunderstanding what the locals said, confusing mythical and real animals and relying on less than useful methods, like the good old "let's show them pictures of sauropods and see what happens" (for one, we now know that no sauropod looked even superficially like what they thought to look like in the 1930s).

Also the local tribes might just be messing with the researchers. The Maasai, for example, are known to habitually make up nonsense when talking to Western anthropologists, for teh lulz.

• Like 2

No, it is not. They evolved at the same time, and Crocodilians outlived Dinosaurs.

They are both Archosaurs, and both come from a common ancestor, in the clade of Archosauria, represented today by birds and crocodiles. This is again broken down to two main clades, Pseudosuchia, which includes crocodilians and their extinct relatives, and Avemetatarsalia, which includes birds and their extinct relatives (such as non-avian dinosaurs and pterosaurs).

LINKS:

Archosauria

Pseudosuchia

Avemetatarsalia

Did Crocodiles Descend From Dinosaurs?

Thanks for the info Psyche much appriciated :tu:

• Like 1

Also the local tribes might just be messing with the researchers. The Maasai, for example, are known to habitually make up nonsense when talking to Western anthropologists, for teh lulz.

Anthropologists have noted that native informants do become uninterested and unwilling to answer questions, definitely more so when the questioning becomes intimate and embarrassing, such as in regards to; family quarrels, sexual relationships, or birth control including abortions, which would not be surprising with any person. To suggest from this, that a majority of those natives simply lie for the fun of it seems a bit of an overstatement.

Anthropologists have noted that native informants do become uninterested and unwilling to answer questions, definitely more so when the questioning becomes intimate and embarrassing, such as in regards to; family quarrels, sexual relationships, or birth control including abortions, which would not be surprising with any person. To suggest from this, that a majority of those natives simply lie for the fun of it seems a bit of an overstatement.

I'm not saying that a majority does it, but it does happen more often than you'd think, there are many documented examples. Why wouldn't they have some light-hearted fun? I know I would start messing around when the fifteenth anthropologist arrives.

• Like 1

I'm not saying that a majority does it, but it does happen more often than you'd think, there are many documented examples. Why wouldn't they have some light-hearted fun? I know I would start messing around when the fifteenth anthropologist arrives.

Furthermore, look what happens when any outsider temporarily joins an insider-group (sport team, work crew, family, circle of friends, etc) - they get screwed with. It's playful rather than malicious and can go on to create and maintain some recurring themes and amazing legends. It's human nature...

Now, does anyone know where I can find a good left-handed screwdriver?

• Like 1

If there are many documented examples, would it be too much trouble to reference a few?

What do I think of Mokele Mbembe? I think he's plainly rude for pretending to exist while steadfastly supplying no actual evidence that he does. The jerk.

Edited by orangepeaceful79
  • Like 1

Page two of this PDF, for example: http://eprints.lse.a...ography_PhD.pdf

I remember some other instances, but I have to dig them up.

The Margaret Mead hoax is a good example:

meadhoaxed.jpg

http://www.weirdrepu...m/episode12.htm

Vilcabamba: the town of very old people - http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/archive/permalink/vilcabamba_the_town_of_very_old_people

Edited by Night Walker
  • Like 1