Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

12 century Buddha paintings found

Owlscrying

May 4

KATMANDU, Nepal -- A mural with 55 panels depicting the story of Buddha's life was uncovered in March, with the team using ice axes to break through a snow path to reach the cave in Nepal's Mustang area, about 160 miles northwest of the capital, Katmandu.

Rich in culture and heritage and going back to the 12th century, or earlier.

The main mural measured around 25 feet wide, and each panel was about 14 inches by 17 inches.

The team of Nepalese, Italian and American archeologists, art experts, and climbers, were tipped by a local sheep herder who mentioned that he had seen a cave with old paintings several years ago when he took shelter from the rain.

Besides the main mural, paintings were discovered on other walls of the cave which they believe were made slightly later. A nearby cave had manuscripts which were written in Tibetan language, which were photographed by the team and will be translated by experts.

The five Americans in the team included renowned mountaineer Peter Athans who has scaled Mount Everest seven times and film maker Renan Ozturk. Other members included Italian art expert Luigi Fieni and two Nepalese archaeologists.

"I can unequivocally say that climbing into the caves was greatly more exciting than any emotions I had on Everest," Athans said in e-mail sent from Seattle, Wash. "The opportunity to explore new ground with potentially significant discoveries imminent was far more enticing than the Everest summit."

The team has refused to reveal the exact location of the caves, fearing visitors could disturb the centuries-old art.

The expedition spent three weeks in the remote mountainous area, where there are few people due to the extreme weather and barren land.

They plan to return to the cave next spring to conduct more research.

The area has for centuries been used as a major passageway between Nepal and Tibet.

go

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Owlscrying

• Star_girl

• crtDzyn

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow thats pretty amazing! It is wonderful how things lost can be found in the places where we do not expect them...

that's awesome

i've got a little buddha statue on my desk :)