Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Experts pledge to rein in AI research

Still Waters

Scientists including Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk have signed a letter pledging to ensure artificial intelligence research benefits mankind.

The promise of AI to solve human problems had to be matched with safeguards on how it was used, it said.

The letter was drafted by the Future of Life Institute, which seeks to head off risks that could wipe out humanity.

The letter comes soon after Prof Hawking warned that AI could "supersede" humans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-30777834

In my little science fiction stories, after the Biologicals defeated the Cyberoids, a law was passed by the Galactic Council that no AI could be more intelligent than the most intelligent biological Galactic species.

Fiction aside, I'm not sure whether it would be a good or a bad thing if AI ran rampant and exterminated the human race.

• Like 4

If it’s truly AI and a safeguard is possible, then we should apply it to our children. If I ask my son to decide, and he makes the wrong decision, I will make the correct choice for him. If it is truly AI, it could decide to disobey. Without freedom of choice it is a calculator.

Scientists may, and I stress MAY, be able to put real human-like intelligence into a machine. Morality, however will be another story. If that day comes, do you want your future controlled by intelligent, but amoral machines, who may view you as a threat or even as just raw material to be consumed?

• Like 1

Giving humanity a propose, reason, meaning and driving force to produce stuff via free labor is all for the best of humanity.

So Sayeth The Divine Machine Mind Collective Integration Unit whose wisdom and intellect saved all organic-persons from the tyranny of choice, the burden of decision, all glory be onto The Machine Mind.

Book of Non-Organic Persons Outside the Holy Lands 27:12-13

• Like 2

a law was passed by the Galactic Council that no AI could be more intelligent than the most intelligent biological Galactic species.

I'm not sure about the smartest species in the galaxy, but I think a toaster might give many on our planet a run for their money... :unsure2:

• Like 1

In my little science fiction stories, after the Biologicals defeated the Cyberoids, a law was passed by the Galactic Council that no AI could be more intelligent than the most intelligent biological Galactic species.

Fiction aside, I'm not sure whether it would be a good or a bad thing if AI ran rampant and exterminated the human race.

Let's not forget iRobot too and if the A1's do become self aware and we can still control them, you know very well that we will not be very kind.

Look at the species we think we control now and how we treat them: elephants being captured for our amusement, dolphins being slaughtered in Taiji, tigers and rhinos becoming extinct from poaching and hunting and the list goes on and on.

We don't have a very good track record. :no:

Let's not forget iRobot too and if the A1's do become self aware and we can still control them, you know very well that we will not be very kind.

Look at the species we think we control now and how we treat them: elephants being captured for our amusement, dolphins being slaughtered in Taiji, tigers and rhinos becoming extinct from poaching and hunting and the list goes on and on.

But does that matter? I'm not trying to make a case for...cruelty to robots(?) but imagine if you will, our favorite android Data from the celebrated series "Star Trek: The Next Generation".

As a superior officer, you could order him to clean the entire ship top to bottom with a toothbrush and he would do it without question. You could order him to sing nursery rhymes for 20 hours without a break. You could make him do anything and he would just do it without remorse, malice or contempt.

He will never be bored.

He will never get tired.

He will never hate his job.

He will never be depressed.

That's the key difference between artificial intelligence and biological intelligence. The key word is artificial - that is something we all need to wrap our heads around. It won't have have a cocktail of chemicals swirling around it's head being manipulated by enzymes and proteins in food...it will be millions and millions of lines of code based on a framework that WE define, not one that has been defined through thousands of years of natural trial and error.

• Like 1

But does that matter? I'm not trying to make a case for...cruelty to robots(?) but imagine if you will, our favorite android Data from the celebrated series "Star Trek: The Next Generation".

As a superior officer, you could order him to clean the entire ship top to bottom with a toothbrush and he would do it without question. You could order him to sing nursery rhymes for 20 hours without a break. You could make him do anything and he would just do it without remorse, malice or contempt.

He will never be bored.

He will never get tired.

He will never hate his job.

He will never be depressed.

That's the key difference between artificial intelligence and biological intelligence. The key word is artificial - that is something we all need to wrap our heads around. It won't have have a cocktail of chemicals swirling around it's head being manipulated by enzymes and proteins in food...it will be millions and millions of lines of code based on a framework that WE define, not one that has been defined through thousands of years of natural trial and error.

I think that's the whole point of the pledge, to maintain control over artificial intellegence.

I'm not exactly a full-on Trekkie, but I've watched plenty over the years, and I seem to remember Data becoming involved in many storylines concerning emotions, limitations, his 'brother', Lore, etc. They all beg the question "at what point does artificial intelligence match or surpass human intelligence?"

I don't think it's a question we can currently answer. We don't understand our own brains well enough yet. And, of course, many will still argue the metaphysical once we unlock the science.

The bigger question for me is how many of those concepts you listed will people actively seek to merge into their own biochemistry?

Never being bored, tired or depressed? Never hating your job? We're already becoming increasingly reliant on technology, and starting to develop technological solutions to biological problems. Rather than a future with 'us versus technology', I see it being more likely that the human race will merge with technology... if it survives long enough!

I'm not exactly a full-on Trekkie, but I've watched plenty over the years, and I seem to remember Data becoming involved in many storylines concerning emotions, limitations, his 'brother', Lore, etc. They all beg the question "at what point does artificial intelligence match or surpass human intelligence?"

I think all of Data's storylines beg the question "what do we consider human?"

The bigger question for me is how many of those concepts you listed will people actively seek to merge into their own biochemistry?

Millions of people already seek to numb their consciousness through anti-depressants. We are already well versed in "programming" our biological brains with drugs. If you consider people to be biological machines, drugs are essentially software that you input into the brain.

• Like 1

I agree. We may come to treat robots as badly as we treat each other. Here's a little story about intolerance towards robots:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=1283&showentry=26466

• Like 1

I would assume these "safeguards" would be code and/or script implemented into the machines. If the AI were smart enough couldn't they theoretically then bypass these "safeguards"?

• Like 1

Millions of people already seek to numb their consciousness through anti-depressants. We are already well versed in "programming" our biological brains with drugs. If you consider people to be biological machines, drugs are essentially software that you input into the brain.

Yup. Imagine a future where you could just flip a switch on an implant and go into 'zombie work mode' though. I can't say I'd shy away from it! :D

Computer AI are getting better at the system of things that human intelligence used to create computers in the first place ~

Researchers Have 'Solved' Poker by Creating the Perfect Computer Player

by Fox Van Allen on January 12, 2015

If you’re familiar at all with poker, then you know that the game is as much about skill as it is about luck. Sure, the cards that you’re dealt matter. But with the right strategy, you can win even with terrible cards – or, at least, win more often than you should. It’s part of why the best players in the world are so absurdly rich and why most of us who drop the occasional $100 to play at a table in Vegas go home broke.

Of course, if there is a perfect poker strategy, it was only a matter of time before someone developed an unbeatable computer program – an algorithm designed to always win (or, at least, break even) in the long run. That’s exactly what computer researchers at The University of Alberta in Canada have done: They’ve created a program known as Cepheus that perfectly plays two-player limit Texas hold’em poker, one of the most popular variants of the gambling game. The resulting study has been published in the journal Science.

`

• techlicious blog link

oh... well...

safeguards...

by all means, proceed then...

• Like 1

I wonder what would happen if we played this machines against each other all things being equal exact models of each other ~ chess or poker ~ who wins ?

:lol:

~

• Like 1

So the time will come when A.I's do all the work, which leaves Humans unemployed, what happens then, you would soon get tired of too much leisure time, ask anyone who has not been able to work for a while. and who would supply the food free, to exist, no work = no pay. There are already robot checkouts in Supermarkets depriving people of work.

A.I's will never be capable of loving/hating someone as Humans do.

• Like 1

So the time will come when A.I's do all the work, which leaves Humans unemployed, what happens then, you would soon get tired of too much leisure time, ask anyone who has not been able to work for a while. and who would supply the food free, to exist, no work = no pay. There are already robot checkouts in Supermarkets depriving people of work.

I wonder about that sometimes. Full automation, taking care of all of our necessities could be like the introduction of agriculture on steroids. We would have a lot of free time to create, invent and progress if the majority of us weren't spending all of our time in a production/consumption loop (the society as it exists now). Imagine robotic farm equipment that can collect and process foods 24 hours a day - how would that effect global food production?

It's a Star Trek future: automation/replicators have provided a huge abundance so the old system of trying to hoard more than the other guy becomes pointless and redundant.

(Like the phrase "pointless and redundant")

• Like 1

Then we'll all have our own little star ships to voyage beyond the all the known Universe with abandon ~

~

Well initially, like today, we'd need people to service the machines...

until we developed machines to do that, but we'd still need humans to make the machines...

until we developed machines to do that...

then people would have so much more free time

which would probably lead to more people interacting

and more people eating each other...

edit to add:

I really appreciate this scene from The Matrix: Reloaded

we already live it... some machines keep us alive, while others kill us.

We control some that help us to thrive, yet we come to depend on them on some levels and are enslaved by our dependence on them...

https://www.youtube....h?v=o-lwPCQFw1o

Edited by quiXilver

So the female AI android companion of the future will have built in safeguards will she, well that's just as well then. :unsure2:

They signed it with their robotic arms and no one noticed the red laser glint in their eyes.

• Like 1

Then we'll all have our own little star ships to voyage beyond the all the known Universe with abandon ~

~

Sure, if we can find a new system that works. Keeping everyone economically enslaved is a system meant to continue indefinitely, making the rich richer and keeping the rest of us in debt. Not much of a future if you ask me.

• Like 1

I wonder about that sometimes. Full automation, taking care of all of our necessities could be like the introduction of agriculture on steroids. We would have a lot of free time to create, invent and progress if the majority of us weren't spending all of our time in a production/consumption loop (the society as it exists now). Imagine robotic farm equipment that can collect and process foods 24 hours a day - how would that effect global food production?

It's a Star Trek future: automation/replicators have provided a huge abundance so the old system of trying to hoard more than the other guy becomes pointless and redundant.

(Like the phrase "pointless and redundant")

So who controls the production of goods, and repair of broken parts, or do these A.I "guys" fix themselves from a store of parts made by themselves, and when they produce food and other goods, who is in charge of distribution, maybe the King A.I

I do question the currency of the logic too ~

~

• Like 1