Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Which films get artificial intelligence right

Anomalocaris

In the opening scene of the 1982 film Blade Runner, an interrogator asks an android named Leon questions “designed to provoke an emotional response.” According to the movie, empathy is one of the few features that distinguish humans from artificial intelligence (AI). When the test shifts to questions about his mother, Leon stands up, draws a gun, and shoots his interviewer to death.

It’s not a happy ending for the human, but when Hollywood portrays AI, it rarely is. Writers and directors have been pitting man against machine on the silver screen for decades, but just how scientifically plausible are these plots? We consulted a group of AI experts and asked them to weigh in on 10 different films in the genre. We’ve ranked them least to most plausible.

http://news.sciencemag.org/2015/07/which-movies-get-artificial-intelligence-right

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leonardo

• toast

• bubblykiss

• Anomalocaris

None, artificial intelligence is indifferentiable from natural intelligence.

Ask Holden.

I'm a bit disappointed the critique on what was supposed to be how mush the various films got AI 'right', was more on the actual production values of those films.

Of the films in that list that I have seen, I would agree with 2001 as being very accurate in portraying an AI, but I would rate Ex Machina much higher than it's allotted 5/10. Forget the cliched tropes the film uses and focus on how the AI is portrayed and it gets a lot of that right. Ava shows wonderful intelligence in being apt in deception, and never 'breaks character'. There is no real indication that Ava is 'conscious' because the goal of her AI programming is to be 'free' (as is explained), and Ava the machine does not deviate from that. Also, Ava does not display any actual emotion, except that used purely as deception. From this we can infer Ava does not actually 'feel', but has an understanding of the concept sufficient to use it for gain. A clear sign of intelligence, without any of the 'human attachments' we so often (and wrongly) associate with intelligence in 'intelligent machine movies'.

And the movie Her I would not rate as highly. This is not meant to be a rating on how AI affects society, or how individuals might become 'attached' to an AI - but on the realism of the actual AI in question - and Samantha is far too 'human' for her to be a realistic AI. Samantha exhibits emotions - which are not associated at all with intelligence but with biochemistry, yet Samantha is only a program without any possibility of a biology. You can't program emotions, but you can program intelligence. While Her has much to say about how technology is fracturing society, it is not primarily a movie about AI, because Samantha is a human voice, not a machine's.

This is not to say Her is not as good a movie as Ex Machina, it is. Both are wonderful movies in how they portray the primary 'messages' each contains. But Her as a statement on AI realism is much, much weaker than Ex Machina.

Edited by Leonardo