Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are angels real?

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

Poll: Are angels real? (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Are angels real?

1. Yes (55 votes [67.07%])

Percentage of vote: 67.07%

2. No (27 votes [32.93%])

Percentage of vote: 32.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#166    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• I just keep getting stronger..

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 22 January 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

[Re the bus incident] Maybe she thought the satanist was hot and had to protect him from the creepy evangelist?

Hey yes I never thought of that, thanks..:)
She might not have been a good angel at all but a bad one, sent by Satan to protect the satanist guy!
(Incidentally, the christian evangelist is a disgrace, a thoroughly bad "christian", I told him so and cut him out of my life last year)

#167    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,303 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

probably the correct term is 'Minor Deities', not angels.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#168    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 23 January 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

Now I had always thought the Saints were the Christian replacement to the minor deities of the pagan world.  One prays to Saints, not to angels.

To the OP, no, I don't think angels are real.  They are probably misidentified ghosts :innocent: .

#169    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,331 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostCrikey, on 23 January 2013 - 05:20 AM, said:

Because not all people qualify for their help.. :)

"If you make the Most High your dwelling
even the Lord, who is my refuge, then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent, for he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways" Psalm 91:9-11

I don’t even own a tent  ;)
By Biblical criteria on which you insist I wouldn’t be assisted. Yet I was assisted, since “coincidence” is the most superstitious excuse ever made.

View PostFrank Merton, on 23 January 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Now I had always thought the Saints were the Christian replacement to the minor deities of the pagan world.  One prays to Saints, not to angels.

To the OP, no, I don't think angels are real.  They are probably misidentified ghosts :innocent: .

All old Slavic deities were simply renamed after Saints, keeping their characteristics.
So you have, for example, Saint Elijah driving his chariot over the sky, bringing rain and iron hooves of his horses strike against the cloud path, sparkling lightning, like Perun the Thunderer used to do before he Christianized a little.

In context of Slavic traditions, angels fit description of “vile”, not deities. Not to bother everyone again with the whole essay on vile.

Edited by Helen of Annoy, 23 January 2013 - 03:58 PM.

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#170    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I have no idea to be honest, i'm not religious so I can't say.

#171    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 7,310 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 23 January 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

I would state that according to the Old Testament narrative, the minor deities are also labeled "sons of God", Over time they were included into the concept of angels, but they are not angels per say. Taking this a step further, gives us the "demi-gods", the offspring of these deities and human women, the biblical term would be the nephilim.

The parallels are all there, so much so that it is interesting that so many people miss it.

Concepts got confused over the centuries, and today, we just have plain angels, but that was not the case back then. There was a specific heirarchy of beings, angels being just one of them and one of the lowest in the heirarchy. There were also factions among them, some pulling and influencing people in one direction, others in a different direction.

We find this evident for example in Daniel 10:13.

12 Then he continued, “Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them. 13 But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, because I was detained there with the king of Persia. 14 Now I have come to explain to you what will happen to your people in the future, for the vision concerns a time yet to come.”

It seems that there are kingdoms  that mirror the earthly kingdoms, or regions, and each of these is ruled by a Prince. These Princes are also angels then, but we also know them in parallel as "Gods" in other religions.

Edited by Jor-el, 23 January 2013 - 07:44 PM.

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#172    Etu Malku

Etu Malku

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

• Mercurian

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 22 January 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

Maybe one doesn’t have to be an angel in order to do some angelic work, just like one doesn’t have to be a demon in order to bring destruction.
So, you associate good with angels and evil with demons?

By the way, that was one amateur Satanist. Real ones are usually the role models on the outside and rotten piles of greed and destruction on the inside.
And how on earth did you arrive at that moronic statement?

Tarkhem Productions
   IAMTHATIAMNOT

#173    Etu Malku

Etu Malku

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

• Mercurian

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 22 January 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

There are exceptions.
Certain person I knew was fitting the description of possessed by demon – I’m not joking, he wasn't vomiting pea soup, it was far more subtle but incredibly sinister, creepy and outright dangerous. That person practiced no religion except socially expected celebrations of religious holydays and so.
If you only met him on by-the-way basis, you’d say he was an ordinary guy and ordinary hypocrite that declared his belonging to certain church with no specified opinion on god in which he probably didn’t believe.
I knew him well and I believe the human mind wasn't inside his body at all anymore. It was human body inhabitated by a demon.
I wonder to whose body his demon has moved.

Yes, I know how that sounded :lol:  I don't regularly see demons around me, only two people in my entire life made me think of that.
I hear ya and agree for the most part, the thing is that person was probably already indoctrined into a Christian based faith and so 'that' is mulling around in his uncounsciousness.

Tarkhem Productions
   IAMTHATIAMNOT

#174    Etu Malku

Etu Malku

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

• Mercurian

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 22 January 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Oh i know many atheists who act like they are possessed. They just call it some form of mental illness, and often they are correct.

I am not sure how the whole "possesion" thing works. i am aware that iam ocupied by an entity which  is powerful, loving, healing,  protective and empowering. I know that my mind has many elements and forms of consciousness. I would suspect that this is another form of that consciousness, except that it convincingly displays knowledge, power and abilities, which science does not recognise as existing within human beings. It protects me from negative possession, from depression, anger, hate, envy, jealousy, lust, fear etc grief.; because, while it is in me (which is all the time ) I cant experience those things unless I deliberately chose to. I am protected from them by the presence of all the good things in life gifted to me by that presence.
I would call this your Dæmon / Higher Self / Holy Guardian Angel . . . etc.

Tarkhem Productions
   IAMTHATIAMNOT

#175    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,306 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 09 January 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

Nothing whatsoever to do with the question.
Nothing whatsoever, unless like I do, you believe Jesus was a historical figure, told the truth, and knew what he was talking about, in which case, based on his authority, I would say angels do exist...not sure why you think this has nothing to do with the topic. Have a nice day.
edited because of my usual mistake(s)

Edited by Gummug, 23 January 2013 - 10:25 PM.

Posted Image

#176    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

View PostJor-el, on 23 January 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

It seems that there are kingdoms  that mirror the earthly kingdoms, or regions, and each of these is ruled by a Prince. These Princes are also angels then, but we also know them in parallel as "Gods" in other religions.
This is my understanding of how Mormons view things, except to them these kingdoms and so on are composed of people who were like us living on their own equivalents of the earth, in what seems to be an infinite hierarchy.

#177    Amalthe

Amalthe

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

I think that in a certain way, humans were angels before they are born. Like when God calls for volounteers to send them to Earth, to be born and to live and experience life as humans, i believe a host of volounteers would line up for the job, although they are aware of the high fail rate of human life. Looks like unemployment is really high in heaven :)

#178    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,646 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostGummug, on 23 January 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

Nothing whatsoever, unless like I do, you believe Jesus was a historical figure, told the truth, and knew what he was talking about, in which case, based on his authority, I would say angels do exist...not sure why you think this has nothing to do with the topic. Have a nice day.
edited because of my usual mistake(s)
The question wasn't about Jesus, work it out.

#179    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,331 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostEtu Malku, on 23 January 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

So, you associate good with angels and evil with demons?

Obviously.
You can switch roles and consider demons “good” and angels “evil”, but in the end you are still searching for either constructive or destructive force that you feel you belong to. "Feel" being the key word.
More intriguing view than switching roles is – for me personally – the absence of classic idea of polarities. No good and no evil in eternal conflict, no evil shadow, only logical consequence of existence of light. Personally, I'm not that advanced. I feel the distinction and it's important to me in this level of existence.  

And how on earth did you arrive at that moronic statement?

I’m not the type of person with whom you should start **** throwing contest.
Refrain from “moronic” adjectives.
Now, the Satanists.
True Satanist is a person dedicated to destruction, according to widely accepted perception.
In order to make conversation, you should consider widely accepted concepts, then explain your concept and how they differ from mine, or we will never communicate, only repeat our opinions.  
Let me guess then: you probably wanted to refer to Satanists whose religion is based on above mentioned switched roles, where the stereotypes remain the same, while only the polarities are shifted to the opposite side.
So there’s the evil God denying knowledge and Lucifer the light-bringer seen as true constructive force or something along that line.
I gave you the outline of my conception, now you explain what I got wrong and how it works in your opinion, which I won’t call moronic, though plain switched roles are pretty close to that adjective in my own view.   

View PostEtu Malku, on 23 January 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

I hear ya and agree for the most part, the thing is that person was probably already indoctrined into a Christian based faith and so 'that' is mulling around in his uncounsciousness.

Could be. I think not, since he had interesting obsession with North American Indians, so intense his last sight was vision of buffalo, an animal he never saw in real life.
So if it was only a projection of belief one feels, he’d become amateur shaman, not seemingly possessed with a demon.

Edited by Helen of Annoy, 24 January 2013 - 03:51 PM.

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#180    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 7,310 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 24 January 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

This is my understanding of how Mormons view things, except to them these kingdoms and so on are composed of people who were like us living on their own equivalents of the earth, in what seems to be an infinite hierarchy.

They may view it like that, but all things being equal, angels and the other spiritual entities were never human, now, in the past or whenever. They may take human form but to be human is more than the shape of a body.

We can never be angels, we can never be Gods either, that is not the purpose for which God created humanity, and all of these beings were created with a purpose, just as humans were created with a purpose.

We can never become them or they become us. The Mormon view fails in this respect, they confuse the boundries with no clear biblical reason for doing so.

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users