Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

How truthful is "The Day After Tomorrow"

natural disaster

  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1    Jessem

Jessem

    Future Husband

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Starry Sky

  • No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

After everything that has been going throughout the world and within the US alone in the past year; how close is this Science Fiction movie to the truth? We have many mainstream theories on "Global Warming" "Plate Shifting" etc... but what about the whole latter? Wouldn't a FULL CLIMATE change explain everything thats going on? I mean in Christianity yes, we have a complete shutdown and gleaning of the earth, but what about just a huge change? The movie itself talks about the stream changing due to the polar ice caps melting and the lack of salt within our oceans, but what about this actually being the case?

And this is interesting as well... http://www.huffingto...3409037.html  . That was just what came up after a random search.

Here is a bit of scientific evidence to back it up... http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Being what humans are factoring into their research is ourselves, it is actually moot. We aren't as big of a factor as we would like to believe. The earth itself changes overtime, and humans actually only contribute to a very small scale percentage, even if we'd like to believe otherwise. We don't really make that big of a difference on the grand scale of things. The earth was made for us to live on it, and is geared for us to be here. Thats what scientists forget when they do their numbers. Rather you believe in "The Darwin Theory" or "Christianity" or even just "mass EVOlutionism" we were meant to be here. So, is it inevitable? Yes, it can't be stopped. But all we can do is plan to know what we can do as humans to survive. Just like we have done for the entire existance of humanity.

What do you think? And what Grand Scale evidence is there to back it up? I believe Global warming is due to the sun and not pollution. This is proven through Thermoldynamics, and the fact that the rotation of solar system is also moving us closer to the sun itself. Later on the shift will change back tot where we once started in out rotation.

Edited by Jessem, 10 June 2013 - 03:19 PM.

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#2    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

  • Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostJessem, on 10 June 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

After everything that has been going throughout the world and within the US alone in the past year; how close is this Science Fiction movie to the truth? We have many mainstream theories on "Global Warming" "Plate Shifting" etc... but what about the whole latter? Wouldn't a FULL CLIMATE change explain everything thats going on? I mean in Christianity yes, we have a complete shutdown and gleaning of the earth, but what about just a huge change? The movie itself talks about the stream changing due to the polar ice caps melting and the lack of salt within our oceans, but what about this actually being the case?

And this is interesting as well... http://www.huffingto...3409037.html  . That was just what came up after a random search.

Here is a bit of scientific evidence to back it up... http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Being what humans are factoring into their research is ourselves, it is actually moot. We aren't as big of a factor as we would like to believe. The earth itself changes overtime, and humans actually only contribute to a very small scale percentage, even if we'd like to believe otherwise. We don't really make that big of a difference on the grand scale of things. The earth was made for us to live on it, and is geared for us to be here. Thats what scientists forget when they do their numbers. Rather you believe in "The Darwin Theory" or "Christianity" or even just "mass EVOlutionism" we were meant to be here. So, is it inevitable? Yes, it can't be stopped. But all we can do is plan to know what we can do as humans to survive. Just like we have done for the entire existance of humanity.

What do you think? And what Grand Scale evidence is there to back it up? I believe Global warming is due to the sun and not pollution. This is proven through Thermoldynamics, and the fact that the rotation of solar system is also moving us closer to the sun itself. Later on the shift will change back tot where we once started in out rotation.
Pollution probably plays a minor role but scientists can't agree on climate change because there's so many other factors and little unquestionable facts. We don't really understand how the inner workings of the planet works which is why there's such an uproar about fracking. The only thing we do know is that the climate of the planet is ever changing and it may even be responsible for the extinction of some species in the past but that's life...when Mother Earth thinks you've had your turn, it's time for somebody else's :tu:

Mankind is but a grain of sand on the beach of life when you think about it, we haven't really achieved anything in survival terms, nor are we a notably species. There probably will be a major climate disaster in our lives (and probably because the governments tamper with what they shouldn't) but I couldn't careless really. We didn't exactly look after the planet when we had a chance to.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5


#3    Jessem

Jessem

    Future Husband

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Starry Sky

  • No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 10 June 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

Pollution probably plays a minor role but scientists can't agree on climate change because there's so many other factors and little unquestionable facts. We don't really understand how the inner workings of the planet works which is why there's such an uproar about fracking. The only thing we do know is that the climate of the planet is ever changing and it may even be responsible for the extinction of some species in the past but that's life...when Mother Earth thinks you've had your turn, it's time for somebody else's :tu:

Mankind is but a grain of sand on the beach of life when you think about it, we haven't really achieved anything in survival terms, nor are we a notably species. There probably will be a major climate disaster in our lives (and probably because the governments tamper with what they shouldn't) but I couldn't careless really. We didn't exactly look after the planet when we had a chance to.

I respectively disagree. Humanity actually hasn't actually made much of a dent in the way the earth is as much as we think. I personally think we only effect our own inner world. We pollute cities, we trash natural places (that we inhabit), and even spill natural resources into natural resources. I'll get backlash for this, but BP's disaster wasn't a disaster to the environment. It was a disaster to us! We couldn't fish, make money, or even boat because of the oil. Yes it effected wildlife, but when we realize that the oil came from the depths of the ocean in the first place, we will see it differently and have more understanding that it is meant t be used. But the thing is WE are the most effected. The earth will take care of itself, its pretty strong. The products we use are all of the earth or atmosphere. There isn't a product that isn't used that we didn't get from the earth or space. Like you said were not as "important" as we think. The earth is such an amazing planet that we aren't actually hurting it, were just disrespecting it actually. All this climate change is just apart of it's cycles... your right we don't know much about the core, but the main point is, we will never know everything about this miraculous and elemental beauty. Trust me when I say, The Earth was made for us, its the ultimate program for life. But life changes constantly!

Edited by Jessem, 10 June 2013 - 05:19 PM.

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#4    Setton

Setton

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Durham, England

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostJessem, on 10 June 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

After everything that has been going throughout the world and within the US alone in the past year; how close is this Science Fiction movie to the truth? We have many mainstream theories on "Global Warming" "Plate Shifting" etc... but what about the whole latter? Wouldn't a FULL CLIMATE change explain everything thats going on? I mean in Christianity yes, we have a complete shutdown and gleaning of the earth, but what about just a huge change? The movie itself talks about the stream changing due to the polar ice caps melting and the lack of salt within our oceans, but what about this actually being the case?

And this is interesting as well... http://www.huffingto...3409037.html  . That was just what came up after a random search.

Here is a bit of scientific evidence to back it up... http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Being what humans are factoring into their research is ourselves, it is actually moot. We aren't as big of a factor as we would like to believe. The earth itself changes overtime, and humans actually only contribute to a very small scale percentage, even if we'd like to believe otherwise. We don't really make that big of a difference on the grand scale of things. The earth was made for us to live on it, and is geared for us to be here. Thats what scientists forget when they do their numbers. Rather you believe in "The Darwin Theory" or "Christianity" or even just "mass EVOlutionism" we were meant to be here. So, is it inevitable? Yes, it can't be stopped. But all we can do is plan to know what we can do as humans to survive. Just like we have done for the entire existance of humanity.

What do you think? And what Grand Scale evidence is there to back it up? I believe Global warming is due to the sun and not pollution. This is proven through Thermoldynamics, and the fact that the rotation of solar system is also moving us closer to the sun itself. Later on the shift will change back tot where we once started in out rotation.

You seem to have that backwards. The Earth is not designed for us and geared for us to live on it. Rather we are geared to live on the Earth.

Given that you think current warming is dues to a closer sun (source please), I assume you can explain the runaway increase since the industrial revolution?

As for us only making a small difference, you're making the same mistake AGW deniers always do; It doesn't matter if we only contribute 5% of global CO2 output. The natural system is in equilibrium; sinks balance sources. If we add 5% more CO2 but don't increase sinks by 5%, equilibrium is lost and concentrations rise. While we may only be responsible for 5% of gross output, I'd estimate we're responsible for >90% of the surplus.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,710 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

I agree the earth goes through natural changes, man wasn't around to cause the Permian extinction or others but we are greatly helping global warming along.  If we had been around to contribute to the warming of the planet that caused the Permian extinction nothing would of survived.


#6    runekazter

runekazter

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined:09 Jun 2011

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

View PostJessem, on 10 June 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

I respectively disagree. Humanity actually hasn't actually made much of a dent in the way the earth is as much as we think. I personally think we only effect our own inner world. We pollute cities, we trash natural places (that we inhabit), and even spill natural resources into natural resources. I'll get backlash for this, but BP's disaster wasn't a disaster to the environment. It was a disaster to us! We couldn't fish, make money, or even boat because of the oil. Yes it effected wildlife, but when we realize that the oil came from the depths of the ocean in the first place, we will see it differently and have more understanding that it is meant t be used. But the thing is WE are the most effected. The earth will take care of itself, its pretty strong. The products we use are all of the earth or atmosphere. There isn't a product that isn't used that we didn't get from the earth or space. Like you said were not as "important" as we think. The earth is such an amazing planet that we aren't actually hurting it, were just disrespecting it actually. All this climate change is just apart of it's cycles... your right we don't know much about the core, but the main point is, we will never know everything about this miraculous and elemental beauty. Trust me when I say, The Earth was made for us, its the ultimate program for life. But life changes constantly!
So we only trash the places we inhabit? but man inhabits the entire globe now in mass. Global wide deforestation and pollution have zero impact? We have caused dust bowls, droughts, monsoons and have caused numreous species to go extinct just in our recorded history. Also there is research that we have no idea of the impact on our planet such as HAARP and nanotechnologies. I agree the earth has cycles, but that does not mean we aren't affecting those cycles. I have heard two theroies to the possible affect of our ways. 1. The Earth's cooling cycle will break down thus making it tropical conditions everywhere or 2. The instant ice age will trigger like in the movie. Who cares if we are wrong. Can we afford to do nothing if we are right? There is a growing majority of the science community in agreement we are affecting things. The Earth is not moving closer to the sun but further from and yes it has cycles to (the rotation and the sun.) Unless you do not believe the universe is expanding.


#7    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

    Naked Judgement

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Joined:27 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Under sky, for now

  • Mercy is a more complete observance

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:24 AM

Cut forest = increase wind = increase tornadoes and such, also probably increase tsunami if wind has part in their birth.
Bee kills are allegedly human-caused, thanks dear chem-addict agriculture industry, I so love your products...
Bee kills = flowers and fruits go down
Those ain't small shizz... no sir. I dont know what to believe about the climate change thing, dont know how much part we have in it but I heard Koch (the major USA:n oil company or such) has invested a lot to support the deniers of climate warming thing. Bloggers, politicians, you name it... Koch admitted it. Hundreds of millions. But who would benefit from spreading the rumor of climate warming that'd be false, that I find harder to answer. Dont see a potential culprit there. Except rich corporate nihilists, dont underestimate them. Seems like it's all thanks to corporationism of vanity. Big corporations.

But finding culprits is just one thing. They ain't innocent lil' angels for sure, and they dont deserve to be treated like that, but the first priority is for us to be aware of what's our earth like. It's the first step. To ask how things affect each other. Regarding that, I think one big question is the earth cycles as runekazter said. Especially the alleged ice age cycle and what triggers it. I guess geologists have established more of a fact and I ain't refuting it, just interested in what'd cause it. I can think of some things that'd cause a global warming easily, but global cooling... maybe by blocking the sun for long enough, well enough. Clouds reflect the light sun manages to cast to earth back to us instead of letting that light be reflected back to space, so they're partly responsible for the warming, but just as well they also block a good part of the incoming light. A two-folded thing so I dont think we can blame only clouds unless there were periods when the whole planet was more or less clouded, especially in the warmer areas. Perhaps times when we had a lot of vegetation, because deserts sure dont produce clouds unless I'm mistaken, I might very well be but just doesn't make sense they would.. what's there to produce a cloud? Vegetation and animals exhume water so they produce them.

Can you imagine? Can you choose?
One thing there's more room for, is humility. Can you answer the question whether we're the epitome of existence, or extensions of it? Whatever existence, god, holiness, the god particle, life, or whatever it is.

#8    Jessem

Jessem

    Future Husband

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Starry Sky

  • No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:13 AM

Wow, so many people here are completely mislead by the current "understanding" of what the earth is for. It was made for life! WE ARE LIFE! Global warming is a very very small part of what is happening in the world, and we surely aren't a main cause in it. Changes are occuring, and you believe what you want, but Al Gore was wrong. Most of you humans like to believe, or are taught, that we are such a huge thing. lol, were like ants on a hill, creating our cities, towns, and places. But if the world so chose, it could easily take us out. Get out of your small minded thinking, and take a closer look at our earth that was made for life and us. Not much will get done on a message board like this, but what I can do is make you think. Which I have :). Perspective people, take a minute to get out from behind your keyboards and look outside. My Job is done here!

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#9    Jessem

Jessem

    Future Husband

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Starry Sky

  • No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:17 AM

View Postrunekazter, on 11 June 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

So we only trash the places we inhabit? but man inhabits the entire globe now in mass. Global wide deforestation and pollution have zero impact? We have caused dust bowls, droughts, monsoons and have caused numreous species to go extinct just in our recorded history. Also there is research that we have no idea of the impact on our planet such as HAARP and nanotechnologies. I agree the earth has cycles, but that does not mean we aren't affecting those cycles. I have heard two theroies to the possible affect of our ways. 1. The Earth's cooling cycle will break down thus making it tropical conditions everywhere or 2. The instant ice age will trigger like in the movie. Who cares if we are wrong. Can we afford to do nothing if we are right? There is a growing majority of the science community in agreement we are affecting things. The Earth is not moving closer to the sun but further from and yes it has cycles to (the rotation and the sun.) Unless you do not believe the universe is expanding.

Runekatzer,

The earth is about 70% water correct? We don't inhabit as much as you think.

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#10    Jessem

Jessem

    Future Husband

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Starry Sky

  • No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

View PostSetton, on 11 June 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

You seem to have that backwards. The Earth is not designed for us and geared for us to live on it. Rather we are geared to live on the Earth.

Given that you think current warming is dues to a closer sun (source please), I assume you can explain the runaway increase since the industrial revolution?

As for us only making a small difference, you're making the same mistake AGW deniers always do; It doesn't matter if we only contribute 5% of global CO2 output. The natural system is in equilibrium; sinks balance sources. If we add 5% more CO2 but don't increase sinks by 5%, equilibrium is lost and concentrations rise. While we may only be responsible for 5% of gross output, I'd estimate we're responsible for >90% of the surplus.

I couldn't find any data that has been released as of yet. You'll find it in your own "Unbiased" rsearch ;)

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#11    Jessem

Jessem

    Future Husband

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Starry Sky

  • No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:26 AM

View Postrunekazter, on 11 June 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

So we only trash the places we inhabit? but man inhabits the entire globe now in mass. Global wide deforestation and pollution have zero impact? We have caused dust bowls, droughts, monsoons and have caused numreous species to go extinct just in our recorded history. Also there is research that we have no idea of the impact on our planet such as HAARP and nanotechnologies. I agree the earth has cycles, but that does not mean we aren't affecting those cycles. I have heard two theroies to the possible affect of our ways. 1. The Earth's cooling cycle will break down thus making it tropical conditions everywhere or 2. The instant ice age will trigger like in the movie. Who cares if we are wrong. Can we afford to do nothing if we are right? There is a growing majority of the science community in agreement we are affecting things. The Earth is not moving closer to the sun but further from and yes it has cycles to (the rotation and the sun.) Unless you do not believe the universe is expanding.

Runekazer, I did say say we have a very smalll impact, not 0 impact. Quote correctly please... What you are explaing in the earths cooling cycle is NATURAL! Our science community, for the most part, isn't even close to becoming at it's peak. Our generation, maybe the next though, will die out without being close to what we think we know.

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#12    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 30,312 posts
  • Joined:02 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Calgary Alberta Canada

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:30 AM

We are killing the oceans that control the weather. BP oil rig, the great garbage patch, coral reefs disapearing, species going extinct left and right polar ice caps shrinking with Russia using it as a dumping ground, nuclear power plant fails due to human error or natural disaster. Huricanes sunamis washing millions of tons of tox waste out to sea. Third world nations using the ocean as land fills for billions.


Naa people have no effect what so ever.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.


The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#13    Jessem

Jessem

    Future Husband

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Starry Sky

  • No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 12 June 2013 - 02:30 AM, said:

We are killing the oceans that control the weather. BP oil rig, the great garbage patch, coral reefs disapearing, species going extinct left and right polar ice caps shrinking with Russia using it as a dumping ground, nuclear power plant fails due to human error or natural disaster. Huricanes sunamis washing millions of tons of tox waste out to sea. Third world nations using the ocean as land fills for billions.


Naa people have no effect what so ever.

Havne't seen you in a long time!!! Hope you've been ok ST ;)

And to the comment, we do make a small impact, although this may seem huge to us, It's nothing to the earth! Thats my point, our perspective is too small...

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#14    Setton

Setton

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Durham, England

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostJessem, on 12 June 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

I couldn't find any data that has been released as of yet. You'll find it in your own "Unbiased" rsearch ;)

So you have no data, no theory to replace AGW and apparently little grounding in science.

Forgive me if I don't take you too seriously.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#15    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 11,808 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostSetton, on 12 June 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

So you have no data, no theory to replace AGW and apparently little grounding in science.

Forgive me if I don't take you too seriously.


Couldn't have said it better myself.

The earth was created for life :w00t:  Says it all really.
Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson





Also tagged with natural disaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users