Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Color Changing Eyes

Devilwolf

Hi I have noticed for awhile that my eyes were hazel but lately when I have been experiencing a powerful emotion like being angry, upset, or sad my eyes change color. They can go from being a baby blue to a dark green or even to a grey-blue. Usually when I am angry or irritated they turn dark green and when I calm down they go back to being grey-blue or just regular blue. My eye color can change in a matter of 10-15 minutes or even less depending on the emotion and exactly what is going on. I was wondering if anyone actually had this happen to them before or experienced the same thing and how exactly does this happen because it is a noticeable change and I have read a little bit on a few topics but people usually justify it as having tears in ones eyes or the lighting or something along those lines but thats not always the case i could have looked in the mirror before and they would have been baby blue but later on if something were to happen and I looked in the same mirror with the exact same lighting they could be dark green. Let me know what you guys think thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Devilwolf

• eight bits

• Max.L

• puridalan

I've never noticed it happen to me before, but I know my brother in law's eyes change colors sometimes. He has brown eyes, but sometimes they become more of a greyish brownish sort of color. I don't know, I've never asked him.

I'm not sure if it has to do with emotion or not, but that's all I really know. Sorry. :(

ya thats cool its just crazy that it goes from one color to a completely different color thats why i was checking to see what people knew about it.

My eyes are a weird light brownish, kind of a butterscotch color. They turn more yellow when I cry.

Some people's look different depending on the color of clothing they are wearing.

Yeah that is normal because i have grandmothers who eyes change colors. One of my grandmothers eyes are grey then they go to brown then blue or green. Her eyes always changed when she was mad that is why we knew and knew when top back up because they would turn brown when she is mad when her eyes were light grey. One of my friends eyes are Hazel but they change from brown or green and is eyes turned green when he was excited. Last but not least one of my girlfriends have Hazel Green eyes and her eyes turn was grey when she was born and when she got horny they turned all the way green. So that is life sometimes it is the clothes that they wear or how much light is in the room. I am black so it is not like i am around these type of eyes all the time so I am fully aware of things like this because i tend to look people in the eyes all the timeeven if i dont know ya>>>

Dha...OraCle

Randy J.

Eye color is not fixed. Here are a few of the threads that have appeared here:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...howtopic=100518

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...howtopic=101316

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...showtopic=73995

Apart from aging and injury, eye color can appear different depending on the light, like every other kind of perceived color. "Hazel" eyes are especially labile.

This is an interesting illustration of how a common experience can nevertheless be a "little known fact," and as some of the posts in the cited threads show, of how a "little known fact" can be taken as something other than natural when it is noticed.

No doubt, somebody somewhere was burned at the stake over this.

ya well i wear pretty much black all time time and i noticed it during these phases...I have a roommate that his eyes do the same exact thing when things like that happen, it is reasonable that its more likely to get a full color change from one to another if your eyes are hazel.

Its possible because of emotions.

I've had a good friend of mine that is always looking at my eyes because he thinks they are gorgous. (They're Blue-Grey with a blackish-dark grey ring around it) Yet he noticed, if im stressed, a light brown will surround my Iris.

So its very well possible. Eyes are the windows to your soul.

Edited by Full Of Secrets

Hi I have noticed for awhile that my eyes were hazel but lately when I have been experiencing a powerful emotion like being angry, upset, or sad my eyes change color. They can go from being a baby blue to a dark green or even to a grey-blue. Usually when I am angry or irritated they turn dark green and when I calm down they go back to being grey-blue or just regular blue. My eye color can change in a matter of 10-15 minutes or even less depending on the emotion and exactly what is going on. I was wondering if anyone actually had this happen to them before or experienced the same thing and how exactly does this happen because it is a noticeable change and I have read a little bit on a few topics but people usually justify it as having tears in ones eyes or the lighting or something along those lines but thats not always the case i could have looked in the mirror before and they would have been baby blue but later on if something were to happen and I looked in the same mirror with the exact same lighting they could be dark green. Let me know what you guys think thanks.

Well... :rofl:

I've tried for years to find a logic cause for fast color changing. Though, compared to your eyes, mine is a litle more stable. They change color permanent each day, deepending on my heart that day (person that can stay in the same state of mind wery long). I always take picture of the changes and my family call them witch eyes, magic eyes or ..... ...

I don't know if our eyes are alike, though it is similar cases. You might be more unstable and emotional than me, so your eyes change more and I might be to cold hearted to change to fast.

When I'm angry My eyes turn black, my normal stat makes them green often splitt with brownish close to the pupil, light green, light green with yellow, light brown, light blue, really deep blue, brown, dark brown, orange like... I still try the logic way on this. :w00t:

As far as I've learned the closest thing to this in medicine is aging pupils, but normaly in these cases it only go lighter over years or change permanent and then... slowly go lighter. I also found some deceases that can change the color, though afer removed it will go back to normal. But I still don't seem to find the wery reason and why the color change so fast without any of those factors. A possibel theory can be that it changes deepending on how much light the eyes get from sun or other sources, though it might be unlikely as there are few extrem cases of eye-color-changes when one looks on the facts.

Another possibility is that somehow and somewhat the food one eats have something to do with it, though unlikely it is not impossibel... though facts go aginst this theory to. :ph34r:

So it might as well have something with gens, a reaction of gens that are mixed in a way creating something new and diffrent. :geek:

as.eks. let's say that a animal that newer had horns had one gen with horns in, though the rase never had this gen before and it was just a accident. Let's say it were to meet another of it's kind with the other code for horn that will result in getting horns. At first they get lots of kids and those spread (without horn) then some years later these kids kids met each other and they goth kids with horn.

In other words result of evolutions.

So maybe someone in our families did marry someone with eyes that changed much, and themself also had some eye changes. But they had stable eye changings that ended after a while, though their gens had the capasaty to let it go on and faster. *see my picture?* :alien:

Lastly there is a not logic explanation.

That somehow your soul affect your eyes.

Hope this help you in anyway. ^_^

i doubt its your eyes changing possibly your looking in the mirror from a different angle or slightly different lighting.

you can look at them in different angles in the same lighting and i can even ask my roommates cuz they often point out that my eyes are a different color i believe it does have a big thing to do with the mood, whats going on i could understand that the lighting between a sunny day and a gloomy day could possibly be why the color changes but my eyes even when i was a kid they used to be green and then for awhile they were blue and then finally for awhile they leveled on hazel and i really didnt pay much attention but now for awhile they have been alternating between those colors they are hard to miss and there honestly really is no way to mistake it over the lighting and the angle due to the difference between baby blue and dark green and thats really the thing that you need to take into acct.

Wow, just like magic eh?

I guess it shouldn't be too hard for you to make a video of this, proving it's real.

I mean, if it IS real, you could easily make a video for us, right?

OK, there are two things here, the long-term changes,

my eyes even when i was a kid they used to be green and then for awhile they were blue and then finally for awhile they leveled on hazel

and the shorter term changes,

now for awhile they have been alternating between those colors they are hard to miss and there honestly really is no way to mistake it over the lighting and the angle due to the difference between baby blue and dark green and thats really the thing that you need to take into acct.

The long-term changes may be caused by differences in the density of pigment in the iris over time. That is, the iris can actually change color with age. This happens to many people.

In addressing the shorter term changes, I apologize for the misleading brevity of my "eye color can appear different depending on the light, like every other kind of perceived color." This comes off sounding as if the light is the only factor in color perception. It is not.

Like other features of visual perception, color is actively inferred rather than passively perceived. Perceived color is not in general an attribute of the colored object alone, although, of course, it seems that way to us - until we see something "impossible" like a gray-blue object suddenly becoming green..

I was brief, however, because the subject is complicated.

Here's a nice set of color illusions

http://lookmind.com/illusions.php?cat=2

and the term is searchable, of course.

Most of the illusions depend on the fact that we "paint" the scene as a whole, rather than work out the color of each object in isolation. The same object's color will be perceived as different colors, depending on the colors of other objects in the scene. Change the other colors, and you change the perceived color of the object.

Everybody who does laundry is familiar with the most important "painting" decision: what is white? The white shirt that looks fine in the laundry room suddenly looks gray when it is placed on a white surface, or next to brand new white shirts.

Both the real-life shirt example and the artificial web illusions show that the difference in color can be dramatic. It "cannot be missed." Blue to green and back again is no problem at all. They are adjacent in the spectrum, and so only slightly different at the retinal signal level... "next door neighbors" however different we may think of them as being.

It is interesting that so many people associate eye color changes with mood. That could be an emotional influence on the "painting" choices, or also an instance of the well-known ability of environmental color to influence mood. That is, some color scheme really might both depress you and also "make your brown eyes blue."

A video to demonstrate this specifically for eye (iris) color would be difficult to produce. Any closeup of the iris alone under constant illumination will show no change (unless it is a time lapse over years... itself not so easy to produce).

And, there would be no point to the video, since there is nothing controversial to demonstrate. Every colored object is subject to these same effects, and the iris is a colored object.

There is nothing preternatural in any of this. It is yet another illustration of the hard truth that all of our perception is one long, ongoing "grounded hallucination." We make it up as we go along, in color as in so many other aspects of the world.

Usually, the fantasy that "what we see is a faithful reflection of what is really there" is adaptive and close enough to get by with. But compelling phantom eye color change "hits home."

Eye color is an aspect of our identity. It couldn't possibly just change. And it doesn't in the short term, but our experience of it surely does.

Edited by eight bits

When I drink none stop for days and go without sleep mine turn red .... most strange

If you have green eyes, like I do, they will change colors at times. Green is a special eye color that requires proper lighting and conditions to truly appear green. Without those conditions, they can naturaly become a greyish-blue color, or some variation of it.

Mine are light blue. They change color all the time from light grey to azure blue (almost fluorescent lol) mostly when exposed to bright sunlight. Never noticed a change from emotions. Could be melanin variation. Not sure as I'm no eye expert :lol:

hahah I have green hazel eyes so my can change a lot haha.

But again my eye color can be preiceved differently depending on the lighting (natural or not), what I am wearing, even the eyeshadow one puts on certainly has an effect, if it is overcast or not ect. Though emotions do alter my eye color. My eyes are prettiest when I cry because the blood vessels in the eye enlarge giving the redish apparence and thus make my eyes pop to that light emerald green :P

But that just has to do with color compliments just like with clothing

But without any of those factors, yes my eyes can change color depending on certain emotions, but it's rather subtle that like WOAH most of the time

• 2 weeks later...

my eyes are hazel, and i noticed they changed from hazel to gold, sometimes green, blue, dark brown, or blackish

i thought i was crazy, but i guess not :)

I have 'demon eyes' or "witches eyes", atleast that is what someone told me haha. I love my eyes. They have a dark blue ring around them and then inside they're light blue and then inside that is a ring of light greenish brown that is a pretty small ring right around my pupil. Pretty interesting. Plus they change colors. Sometimes they'll be all light green or all light blue. I always have the dark blue ring around them though, that never changes colors. Only inside that haha. Right now they are light blue and greenish brown.

I to have the exact same thing going on with my eyes and they change with the exact same colors as yours they seem to change from day to day and have ever since i can remeber and until me recently becoming curiouse about why they do so ive never really taken thought to my emtions possibly changing the color and when i think about it makes a lot of sense i find it really interesting nothing has ever been provenly explained about it, all i found were theries about it and to me the whole light thing doesnt make sense bc i could look in the mirror, same amount of light, and my eyes are a solid blue the next day or later on that day they change drastically to a solid green i would underatnd if i had bits and peices of color in my eye that would make me seem like it was changing color then ok but its not like that at all my eye color changes from one solid color to the another sold color like from hazel to blue or green it doesnt have mixed in colors its one or the other the other thing is the colors my eyes change into can range from diffrent kinds of colors of greens and blues like lite greens dark greens or a dark blue light blue or hazel to a silvery gray color for exsample it seems when im depressed or sad my eyes get this deep dark rich blue almost like a blackish bluish i just dont see how such a drastic change like that from being this dark seep blue to light green the next can just be light or the environment etc.... but anyways im really starting to buy into the moods thing bc the more i read about it the one that seems to make the most sense to me HOPED THAT HELPED Edited by acting308

• 6 years later...

Mine also alternate from hazel to black to purple. Black happens when I'm mad or feeling sidistic the purple is rare it only happens when I'm at my strongest state in full control but naturally my eyes are hazel with a pure black ring around it I also when they are black show more of a demonic side that creeps peaple out

Edited by The dark one lives1999

I have hazel eyes.

When I puke they are bright green, when I'm stressed they are grey blue.