Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Watch what you drink in Chicago

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    IhartU

IhartU

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:32 PM

I've always wondered where the saying drink a 'Mickey Finn' came from and I happened to run across a newspaper article from 1896.

Another danger for the unwary in the Windy City lies in the drinks served at the Lone Star Saloon and the Palm Garden on Whiskey Row. For the barkeeper running these two joints is a guy named Mickey Finn, who owns the recipe to a voodoo mixture that is overwhelming in alchohol and water.
Take one of Mickey Finn's specials, and you'll start talking silly and reeling about the room, untill you pass out into a deep slumber.
Then you are carried into a back room, where Mickey dons a bowler hat and a clean white apron to search you for valuables. He will also remove any good clothes you own and replace them with filthy rags, before dumping you in an alley. When you wake up, you won't remember a thing.
So never take a drink from Mickey Finn! wink2.gif

#2    crouton

crouton

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

• 'This one goes to eleven....'

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:45 PM

How very strange!  Why would he don a bowler hat and clean white apron?  Why would that matter?  I've always wondered just what a Mickey Finn was myself, and how it got the name.  Thanks for sharing!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:50 PM

Dons a bowler hat, clean white apron, puts a rabbit on a pole and fleeces you good and proper.

Darn Mickey Finn.

#4    Spunned

Spunned

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:07 PM

???

Posted Image

#5    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:55 PM

???

I was referring to the thread where they talk about old time gangsta's that used to go around carrying a rabbit on a pole.  I just find that odd.

Rabbit on a pole.  

Ha ha.  dontgetit.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users