Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should Tamerlan be given an Islamic funeral?

Clarakore

Tamerlan's funeral  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should Tamerlan Tsarnaev be given an Islam funeral in accordance to their traditions?

• Yes, he was a Muslim.
    • Not if the Islamic community decides otherwise.
    • His wife should decide no matter what.
    • Other; explain.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, Suspected Boston Bomber, May Not Get Islamic Funeral From Wary Muslims

http://www.huffingto..._n_3123798.html

The way some are putting politics ahead of their beliefs, at least that is the way it seems to me, is rather worrying and could set a precedent for the further politicizing of religion.

The lines were blurred enough as they were with extremists cofusing the two but now moderates are also willing to play politics with sacred beliefs.

I recall a wise piece of advice being given that we should give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and give to God what belongs to God.

Are the many Muslim leaders who are now distancing themselves from performing ceremony giving to Caesar what belongs to God?

"He should be buried according to the religious tradition he adheres to. His case is with God. We can judge him as best we can according to the savage and insane actions he has done, but in the end, his soul is going to be brought before God," said Webb.

"I don't think I could ethically lead a prayer for him, but I would not stop people from praying upon him."

http://www.huffingto..._n_3123798.html

Just wanted to add, for those saying prayers, keep everyone in mind including his family.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!
  • Like 1

His wife is his nearest kin. She should decide how his remains are handled - what ceremony and such. He apparently, according to video evidence, helped to kill innocents, including a child. In my opinion he has received justice for his actions and that is the end of it for the public.

• Like 2

No, the moment he killed innocent people, sorry, but he is no longer the 'property' of his wife.

He should be buried in an unmarked grave.

If it was as a muslim that made him do the bombings, then his religious burial requirements should not be respected. If as a muslim he was against the western world, then why should the western world respect his religion.

Do NOT get this confused with other muslims, I am directing this at him and him alone, NOT muslim people in general.

I do not believe the wife has the right to make a claim on his body, too many innocent lives have been lost and they have to be thought of first!

No, the moment he killed innocent people, sorry, but he is no longer the 'property' of his wife.

He should be buried in an unmarked grave.

If it was as a muslim that made him do the bombings, then his religious burial requirements should not be respected. If as a muslim he was against the western world, then why should the western world respect his religion.

Do NOT get this confused with other muslims, I am directing this at him and him alone, NOT muslim people in general.

I do not believe the wife has the right to make a claim on his body, too many innocent lives have been lost and they have to be thought of first!

I fail to see how respectfully interring his remains in a private way could harm them. My point is that interfering with the grief of his family is just vindictiveness and it's unnecessary imo.
  • Like 3

I fail to see how respectfully interring his remains in a private way could harm them. My point is that interfering with the grief of his family is just vindictiveness and it's unnecessary imo.

How the dead are sent 'off' is a very private affair to many and what happens to their souls means a big thing to many too, so if someone killed a member of my family, the thought that the killer would be buried to their own family wishes and beliefs would infuriate me.

Its not being vindictive, what is vindictive is the way he killed those innocent people and that should not be forgotten because of his wishes while he was alive.

I know his family must be grieving too, but I would hope that they are thinking of the innocent people he killed and their families before they think about what he would have wanted!! What his family wants is irrelevant and i do not mean that disrespectfully, but there are innocent families out there who are more important.

Personally I would be disgusted to think that one of my family members murdered innocent people and would not want anything to do with his body!

Edited by freetoroam

While I hate what the man did he is dead now. His family is alive and probably still can't figure out why he did this and are suffering for his crimes, so I think they should be able to bury him as they see fit.

• Like 5

While I hate what the man did he is dead now. His family is alive and probably still can't figure out why he did this and are suffering for his crimes, so I think they should be able to bury him as they see fit.

Its a difficult one really, I can only say for how i would feel if a family member of mine did such a horrific thing to innocent people, no matter how close the family member might have been, I could not forgive them and personally would leave it to the people to decide, i would not want blood on my hands for taking responsibility for burying a murderer according to my or their wishes, I would feel it was not my place.

Do not get me wrong, i feel for the family, but not for their loss, but for their confusion of why their loved one did such a horrific thing, well, i would imaging and hope they would be asking that very question!.....as the innocent victims families are.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

It is not anyone's decision to make except his wife and the Islamic community. It's really not anyone else's concern. Freedom of religion still very much applies in America, unless something has changed?

• Like 1

It is not anyone's decision to make except his wife and the Islamic community. It's really not anyone else's concern. Freedom of religion still very much applies in America, unless something has changed?

Freedom of religion is what the murderers took advantage of!!

What about the victims and their beliefs?!! what about their freedom which has been so horrifically taken away from them?

Edited by freetoroam

Funerals are for those left behind not the dead. If I was a family member, I would ask the rest of the family then do it quietly and quickly as possible. The state will be glad to cremate him. I can't imagine going through losing a child or spouse like that. My heart brakes for his family.

• Like 1

I picked other, explain......

First, we need to find the most insulting thing that can be done to a body of a dead " Islam ". ( whatever religion a sick **** like this may be )

Something that would make them cringe.

Something they would not want to them when they pass.

Then do exactly that.

Edited by Sakari

Freedom of religion is what the murderers took advantage of!!

What about the victims and their beliefs?!! what about their freedom which has been so horrifically taken away from them?

And an Islamic burial would infringe their rights how? Don't get me wrong, if the guy was still alive I'd send him to his maker myself however I'll not deny anyone their own methods of sending someone to final judgement. Somehow I don't think even Allah would look too favorably upon him. I'm willing to take the high ground here and not make this about one faith or another.

Edited by Slave2Fate

And an Islamic burial would infringe their rights how? Don't get me wrong, if the guy was still alive I'd send him to his maker myself however I'll not deny anyone their own methods of sending someone to final judgement. Somehow I don't think even Allah would look too favorably upon him. I'm willing to take the high ground here and not make this about one faith or another.

if he has abused his faith to kill innocent people, as it appears the case, then he should not be buried according to it.

I know people are saying 'what about his "family", but what about all the other families too left behind now their loved ones have been taken away from them, you are right about lets not make this one faith or another so leave religion out of it! bury him in an unmarked grave with no religious ceremony!

Can`t believe his family seem to be so important here, yes as I said, I feel for them, BUT not for their lose, but for their confusion. If they bury him according to their religious wishes to me that is giving him the best send off they can, and that I can not comprehend, the best send off would be the last thing on my mind for him!

His wife is his nearest kin. She should decide how his remains are handled - what ceremony and such. He apparently, according to video evidence, helped to kill innocents, including a child. In my opinion he has received justice for his actions and that is the end of it for the public.

edit: keep conspiracies in the conspiracy section

As far as being given a muslim burial, even if he is guiltiy his body doesn't belong to the government, it belongs to the family.

Edited by Paranoid Android

Other:

Couldn't care less. We cannot ask anymore justice than what has already been given. Regardless of his way of burial, the stigma that he was a cowardly hypocritical killer remains.

• Like 2

Great responses guys.

One angle to this is should the family's rights come before society's rights or vice verse. Should society dictate into the private affairs of the family. Funerals have always been considered such. If we as a society agree then it is just another encroachment into the family.

Are we truly willing to allow his funeral to be Westboroed, not just by them, but by us, do we really want to control their family's decision or get in the way of it so we can put our view in? That is exactly what Westboro does...

Edited by Leave Britney alone!
  • Like 2

As others have said, it's up to his family? A lifeless body is beyond guilt or innocence.

• Like 3

He's dead.

Bury him and let God decide what happens to him next.

And bury him the way he wanted to be buried because it proves that we're/you're better human beings then he was because we understand respect.

• Like 8

Its a difficult one really, I can only say for how i would feel if a family member of mine did such a horrific thing to innocent people, no matter how close the family member might have been, I could not forgive them and personally would leave it to the people to decide, i would not want blood on my hands for taking responsibility for burying a murderer according to my or their wishes, I would feel it was not my place.

Do not get me wrong, i feel for the family, but not for their loss, but for their confusion of why their loved one did such a horrific thing, well, i would imaging and hope they would be asking that very question!.....as the innocent victims families are.

I imagine his family are feeling the same way and may not ever forgive him for what he did. I don't think I could but I would bury him because he would still be my child or my husband.

The family, as far as we know, were not involved in the bomb plot/s. Why should they be further punished then what they are likely feeling already. Funerals aren't for the dead, they're a way of finding closure for the living. When my father passed away in December, I know I felt a great sense of catharsis after the funeral ceremony, it felt like I truly said "good bye" to him (though I still miss him and every now and then still cry about it).

No matter what a person may have done, their family should not be punished for it. Tossing his body in an anonymous unmarked grave (as some have suggested), our worse, defiling the corpse in the worst way we can imagine (as one person suggested) is showing an incredible lack of empathy for the family who have done nothing wrong. It's rare times like this that I wish we did have a Dislike button, such callousness deserves nothing less (unfortunately such a feature would be abused if put into this forum).

I can't agree with the argument that those who died or were maimed in the attack deserve the Right to see his body desecrated. There is no logic to it.

~ Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 4

The family, as far as we know, were not involved in the bomb plot/s. Why should they be further punished then what they are likely feeling already. Funerals aren't for the dead, they're a way of finding closure for the living. When my father passed away in December, I know I felt a great sense of catharsis after the funeral ceremony, it felt like I truly said "good bye" to him (though I still miss him and every now and then still cry about it).

No matter what a person may have done, their family should not be punished for it. Tossing his body in an anonymous unmarked grave (as some have suggested), our worse, defiling the corpse in the worst way we can imagine (as one person suggested) is showing an incredible lack of empathy for the family who have done nothing wrong. It's rare times like this that I wish we did have a Dislike button, such callousness deserves nothing less (unfortunately such a feature would be abused if put into this forum).

I can't agree with the argument that those who died or were maimed in the attack deserve the Right to see his body desecrated. There is no logic to it.

~ Regards, PA

Not only that, it would provoke more violence and more people would get hurt, then more funerals, then more retribution.... On and on. Negative actions always breed more negative actions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Amato DeLuca, the Rhode Island attorney for his widow, Katherine Russell, said in a statement Tuesday that his client had just learned that the medical examiner was ready to release Tsarnaev's body and that she wants it released to the Tsarnaev family.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/30/katherine-russell-body-released_n_3188958.html

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. He was buried. Christians were involved. How nice.

Some are mad in the area he was buried at, including Muslims.

Well...I like to focus on the first sentence of this post, not the second one.

Burn his body and dump his ashes into the ocean - the fate of all murderers body's imho. :unsure2: